• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The trip planning and reports regulars, particular those who write lengthy reports and there are many are very unhappy at the character limmit as @Kite159 predicted a good many pages ago
#Justsaying
Maximum characters per post has been increased to 50,000 as a result. The setting of 10,000 was a default of the software so thank you for bringing my attention to this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was going to pass comment about this - it is much improved from before as it seems that if you log in and don't tick to stay logged in, you remain logged in until you close your browser, unlike before when it was after a short period of inactivity

Surely if you tick "stay logged in" you should still be logged in next time you come on to the forum on the same machine?

Crossover

Established Member
Surely if you tick "stay logged in" you should still be logged in next time you come on to the forum on the same machine?

Correct. My reply was only in relation to if one doesn’t tick to stay logged in which had a very short timeout on vB

dcsprior

Firstly, thanks to all those putting in the hard work to maintain and update the forum.

For me, the only significant downside is the lack of tapatalk support - is there a rough estimate as to when this will be restored?

In the meantime, some slight UI annoyances when using the site on mobile which some tweaks may be able to avoid:
  • The icon for "go to first unread" is the smallest thing on each line. Can it be made larger? Or ideally can the default behaviour when clicking on a thread title be to go to the first unread message?
  • When I've read to the end of a watched thread, I need to then scroll all the way to the top to get back to the bar with the "Watched threads" link - perhaps this bar could be duplicated at the bottom?
  • I miss the option tapatalk has to make the screen mostly black, for night reading. Is there a setting to do this in the mobile web interface?

Phil from Mon

Looks terrific and works pretty well for me - well done. Just one little niggle is that on iPad links to threads or back to the main sub Forum need pressing up to 3 or 4 times sometimes. Had this occasionally on the old forum, but seems much more prevalent now. Of course, it may be a problem with my particular tablet, but I don’t usually have a problem.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Another query from me. Is it is possible on the list of posts one has made (I am mainly looking at me here!) to differentiate which of the threads posted on have new posts? vB used to do this by means of bold thread titles on the ones with new posts, and was predominantly how I viewed what threads I had posted on had new comments since
I have found the best way to do this is by going to watched threads and the first view you get within that is unread ones, i.e threads with new postings in them. There is also an option within there to view all threads you are watching.

A word of thanks to whichever nice person has tackled the character limmits issue. Thanks.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
  • The icon for "go to first unread" is the smallest thing on each line. Can it be made larger? Or ideally can the default behaviour when clicking on a thread title be to go to the first unread message

That is the default behaviour.

rebmcr

Established Member
The number of pages used to be displayed in the list of thread titles, in the form of links to the first few and last few pages. This still exists but only on a mouseover.

I find now (only when it is not generally visible) that it was a nice at-a-glance way of deciding whether a thread was too big to bother with — could the old behaviour be restored please?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The number of pages used to be displayed in the list of thread titles, in the form of links to the first few and last few pages. This still exists but only on a mouseover.

I find now (only when it is not generally visible) that it was a nice at-a-glance way of deciding whether a thread was too big to bother with — could the old behaviour be restored please?
Do you mean have it back to how it was on the old forum, with the page numbers always visible from the homepage? I noticed last night that it appears default behaviour of the xF software seems to hide it, and I didn't like it, so I've put them to always visible.

rebmcr

Established Member
Do you mean have it back to how it was on the old forum, with the page numbers always visible from the homepage? I noticed last night that it appears default behaviour of the xF software seems to hide it, and I didn't like it, so I've put them to always visible.

Perfect! Thanks. :)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Could you please provide me a link to one of your threads?
Hi again
I have now posted a couple of new images on my threads and it is very easy "Thank You!" -- However my old externally "hosted" photographs are still not showing. Will this be "fixed" or do I have to edit each one and replace them?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi again
I have now posted a couple of new images on my threads and it is very easy "Thank You!" -- However my old externally "hosted" photographs are still not showing. Will this be "fixed" or do I have to edit each one and replace them?

What site were they hosted on?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The old forum had 'Previous Thread' and 'Next Thread' links at the bottom of each thread. Is it possible to have these in the new version?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The old forum had 'Previous Thread' and 'Next Thread' links at the bottom of each thread. Is it possible to have these in the new version?
I will get someone to add this to the spreadsheet as this will require a plugin to be installed.

donpoku

This no longer work in Tapatalk. Can a mod please acknowledge this as one of the fixes to be implemented. Thank you.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This no longer work in Tapatalk. Can a mod please acknowledge this as one of the fixes to be implemented. Thank you.
Presumably you have missed the previous discussions on this matter? It has already been raised by more than one person, I will look into installing the software if it is technically possible to do so, however other items will take a priority. In the mean time it's urgency is limited by the fact the new software provides for mobile support in the form of a responsive skin.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm being a simpleton here but how do I find my subscribed threads? I can find watched threads of course no probs but not ones that haven't been updated since I was last on them.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Presumably you have missed the previous discussions on this matter? It has already been raised by more than one person, I will look into installing the software if it is technically possible to do so, however other items will take a priority. In the mean time it's urgency is limited by the fact the new software provides for mobile support in the form of a responsive skin.
May I suggest having a FAQ thread relating to the forum upgrade, and making it sticky? It won't stop the same questions being asked, but it'd be easier to reply with "read the FAQ" than having to repeat yourself ad-infinitum.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
I love the fact that Tapatalk isn't enabled. Tapatalk ruins every forum it's installed on with its horrid nagging "READ FORUM FASTER IN TAPATALK! CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD! BTW HOPE YOU DON'T MIND US TAKING UP 20% OF YOUR MOBILE SCREEN SPACE WITH THIS BLATANT ADVERT".

Tapatalk can basically die in a fire.

(More seriously, I do recognise that RailUK Forums, pretty much uniquely, didn't show these horrid nags, so thank you for that.)

BlueFox

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
May I make a bold suggestion? Would it be possible, for now, to have a separate thread, that is locked and stickied (or a link to a user digestible and appropriate version of "the spreadsheet"), with a list of reported issues updated accordingly. I have seen the Tapatalk one mentioned a few times but to be fair, when the thread has 446 posts, it is highly unlikely anyone is going to read through even a small percentage of that if they haven't been keeping up to speed with it on a daily basis. It may resolve an issue of members asking the same questions time and time again and the staff having to answer the same question time and time again (and presumably getting annoyed in doing so!)

BlueFox

May I suggest having a FAQ thread relating to the forum upgrade, and making it sticky? It won't stop the same questions being asked, but it'd be easier to reply with "read the FAQ" than having to repeat yourself ad-infinitum.

Or just tell people to use the search function.

Putting tapatalk into the search box at the top of this page and ticking the 'Search this thread only' box brings up 25 posts in the thread that mention Tapatalk.

rebmcr

Established Member
Perhaps adding SEARCH NOW WORKS BETTER, TRY IT to Post #1 of this thread would do some good?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately I just don't have the time for that, and it would also rely on one of the other forum staff keeping two separate lists up to date.
Perhaps adding SEARCH NOW WORKS BETTER, TRY IT to Post #1 of this thread would do some good?
No changes have been made in this regard since the forum was launched, the enhanced search function is still switched off as I have some things to sort out before our hosts can move servers.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Or just tell people to use the search function.

Putting tapatalk into the search box at the top of this page and ticking the 'Search this thread only' box brings up 25 posts in the thread that mention Tapatalk.

That's just for one issue - you have to put the right search term in to get the relevant answer and 25 posts is still a fair bit to read and digest. It's also a fair bit of work and effort to go through the search to see if there has been an update to the particular issue - it's hardly surprising we get posts going on about the same problem (I work in IT and come across these sorts of things regularly)

Unfortunately I just don't have the time for that

Delegate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.