Forum Update

Discussion in 'Forum Information & Announcements' started by Mojo, 4 Oct 2017.

1. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

One suggestion - the "Signing In" screen. Would it be possible to improve the colour contrast between the text and the backgound colour? Light grey text on a blue background can be hard to decipher on some monitors.

2. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

I was looking for the class 800 thread, but I could only find it when I went into "incognito" as a guest.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-800.100841/page-261

Last post only an hour ago, but I can't see it in "Traction & Rolling Stock"
    I'm confused...

Edit: Is it possibly because I've "ignored" the OP?

3. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Could I ask when the forum software is going to have finished indexing all threads?

4. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

I can't say for certain but that would be a sensible reason for it to be so. When in Incognito, you may not be signed in?

5. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

Yes. If you ignore someone you can't see the threads they start.

6. 87 027

87 027 Member

I would add my thanks to the forum staff as the new interface is a lot better on mobile than the previous web version, and my appreciation for resolution of priority issues. Nevertheless I would add my voice for Tapatalk re-integration in the longer term as overall I find there is more swiping and scrolling at the moment...

7. James H

James H Member

I would also politely add my request for Tapatalk support if feasible.

I read and participate several forums using Tapatalk and it is convenient to do so all in one app.

The improved mobile web version of this forum is welcome, but it is not as slick as a native app.

8. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Is it possible, please, to make the going to first unread post black dot bigger? It's awkward enough to use with a mouse on a PC let alone trying to use it on a mobile - and clicking on the thread title seems to take me to the first post in a thread when I'm looking on my mobile...

9. Class172

Class172 Established Member Quizmaster

Curiously, clicking the thread title on mobile takes me to the first unread post.

10. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    At the ripe old age of 72, I am finally learning the niceties of the new software, but occasionally I think back to the old system. On the vBulletin software under "Subscribed Threads", there was the option to delete any of these. What is the equivalent to that under the new forum software and how does the method of thread deletion from the index page occur?

Many thanks to all who have already been of help to me and I would like to thank Mojo and Mike 395 from the forum technical staff for prioritising the most important changes. It is also noticeable that the number of moderators and administrators on line at any one time during these early days shows commitment.

Let it always be remembered that all the forum staff are all volunteers, who offer much of their spare time in order that forum members can enjoy a most well-run website.

11. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Goto https://www.railforums.co.uk/watched/threads/all then select the ones that you want to unwatch (unsubcribe to), then scroll down and you'll see the "With selected..." dropdown menu. Select the "stop watching threads" option and click "Go", that should (hopefully) unwatch (unsubscribe you from) the threads that you're no longer interested in

12. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Member

Me too, it’s great!

13. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Member

Well done - this a very professional update.
    Thanks to the ‘A Team’ for all their hard work and an extremely smooth transition.

14. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

One thing I can't see is Search This Thread, to go through the thread you are currently on.

This might have been asked before but I can't work out how to search the thread to see if it has :)

It would be good if the Reply To Thread icon was at the bottom rather than the top (or duplicated). You are more likely to be at the bottom of the page rather than the top when deciding to add to it.

An upside is that, having posted, you can immediately go back and amend typos etc without getting the "Edited by" line appearing at the bottom.

15. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

Confusingly, there are two "search" links at the top of the page. The one at the very top has a tick box to search just this thread. The one below it on the left doesn't have this option.

16. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

But you just type your reply directly into the box at the bottom?

17. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

The "More Options..." button at the bottom does lead to the same place as "Reply to Thread", too.

18. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The forum is incredibly snappy and responsive now.. Seems the upgrade work has paid off!

19. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I started writing a reply in this thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ranchise-awarded-to-first-mtr.123105/page-180

but then decided not to post it as someone had already made the same point. So I deleted the contents of the edit box, but the words stayed there greyed out. Since then, for at least a couple of days, the text had remained in the edit box whenever I opened that thread. Is this is a known 'feature' of the new software? As I couldn't clear the edit box I changed it to "may be deleted" and sent it anyway...

20. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If you want to delete a draft that has saved then click on the floppy disc 'save' icon and go to 'Delete draft.'

21. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

How do I stop seeing avatars?

22. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Having an issue with Firefox on at least one PC not remembering the logon - I have ticked on login to stay logged in but on closing and reopening the browser, it hasn't. Is there something I need to do?

23. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

"Hi again
    I have now posted a couple of new images on my threads and it is very easy "Thank You!" -- However my old externally "hosted" photographs are still not showing. Will this be "fixed" or do I have to edit each one and replace them? They were hosted on the "Rods n Sods" website."
    I have re-posted this as there has not yet been a reply to the question.

24. Mojo

Until the redirects take full effect, make sure that you are keeping with the same domain name (including the www.) For example I am logged in at www.railforums.co.uk but if I go to railforums.co.uk then I am not. Hope that makes sense.

25. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

Many thanks for quick reply Mojo.

26. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

It's the https:// being dropped that I noticed since this morning's downtime. I made Firefox forget a few of the more bedded-in URLs and the new correct one has risen to the top now.

27. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They're fairly integral to XenForo but we're looking into it but it may take a while.

28. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Since the server work this morning I am having issues with my prehistoric can't be upgraded Internet Explorer browser on Windows 7 laptop
    It's just spitting constant error messages and I can't use the forum at all now other than on my phone which is slightly disappointing but probably my own fault for having prehistoric multiple Bona third hand technology

29. Mojo

What error message are you getting?

30. Mojo

If you don't go in via httpS then you will get redirected, until it updates however people can use either with or without the www. but will have to be consistent either using it or not using it.