• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Until the redirects take full effect, make sure that you are keeping with the same domain name (including the www.) For example I am logged in at www.railforums.co.uk but if I go to railforums.co.uk then I am not. Hope that makes sense.

The redirects appear to be fine and dandy, so it isn't that. I'll clear my cache and see if that helps

EDIT: Cleared the cache and cookies and no better. I have copied and pasted the URL so I know I am visiting the same address each time. Annoyingly, it is fine in Edge *shudder*

I can try Firefox on another PC but it will be tomorrow now at the earliest

Since the server work this morning I am having issues with my prehistoric can't be upgraded Internet Explorer browser on Windows 7 laptop
It's just spitting constant error messages and I can't use the forum at all now other than on my phone which is slightly disappointing but probably my own fault for having prehistoric multiple Bona third hand technology

Windows 7 should be using IE11 unless there is a problem with the installation/updates. IE11 is the most recent iteration of that browser, and whilst I've not tried it on Windows 7, I wouldn't expect a problem

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It's actually now not even giving me an error message it just will not load the forum at all

Assume we are so advanced these days that support for prehistoric Legacy browsers is simply not there anymore

Ah well I suppose the excuse to buy that Google Chromebook that I have been online for months and putting off in favour of spending money on bashing it has finally arrived

BlueFox

It's actually now not even giving me an error message it just will not load the forum at all

Assume we are so advanced these days that support for prehistoric Legacy browsers is simply not there anymore

Ah well I suppose the excuse to buy that Google Chromebook that I have been online for months and putting off in favour of spending money on bashing it has finally arrived

Have you tried installing a different browser - Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc?

It might be nothing to do with the browser. If the site has moved servers the IP address could have changed, and your computer or ISP may be using a cached copy of the DNS records.
You could try this to clear the cache on the PC:

Click Start.
Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.
Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Type the following command: ipconfig /flushdns then press enter.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was stated that during the short one hour closedown on Friday morning, an improvement would be made to the website search facility. What exactly was upgraded and where would website members see the benefit of this upgrade?
Firstly, the new search is quicker. Secondly, it allows shorter words/phrases, such as HST, whereas previously a search had to be a minimum of 4 letters. It can also undertake stemming for better results, e.g. a search for "swim" should return words like swimming, swims as well. And finally you can also filter your results by relevancy, rather than just date.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many of the redirect issues are sorted but not all of them. These aren't being done by RailUK team, all technical issues are being handled by our supplier & will hopefully be looked into on Monday.

I can also confirm the defect on Firefox myself, not sure what's causing it but only appears to be a Firefox issue from what I've heard.

Cletus

Established Member
There doesn't seem to be any difference between clicking on "Home" or "Forums" ?

Crossover

Established Member
Many of the redirect issues are sorted but not all of them. These aren't being done by RailUK team, all technical issues are being handled by our supplier & will hopefully be looked into on Monday.

I can also confirm the defect on Firefox myself, not sure what's causing it but only appears to be a Firefox issue from what I've heard.

I had a play with the login thing on Firefox on my work laptop and it was fine yesterday. Not tried the PC since so it may be sorted - I'll give it another go

rebmcr

Established Member

I use Firefox and once I got rid of the old non-https entries from the autocomplete, I have no further issues with remembering login.

Parallel

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a way I can attach sound files or photos to posts as an attachment directly from my computer? Thanks

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apologies if this has already been covered, but is there a way I can attach sound files or photos to posts as an attachment directly from my computer? Thanks
You can click the "Upload a file" button which appears next to the Post reply / Create thread button in forums where permissions exist to do so.

Most image file types are allowed but at present no sound file formats are set in the permissions (although you could upload them as a zip file). If you let me know the file extension I can make arrangements to have this added for you.

Parallel

Established Member
You can click the "Upload a file" button which appears next to the Post reply / Create thread button in forums where permissions exist to do so.

Most image file types are allowed but at present no sound file formats are set in the permissions (although you could upload them as a zip file). If you let me know the file extension I can make arrangements to have this added for you.

Thanks for your reply! The sound files I usually upload are .mp3 - Cheers.

Domh245

Established Member
Something that has gone missing (or perhaps I just can't see it) is the box that lets you know who else is viewing a thread. There were many occasions where I'd go to type out a response, only to see that someone else more qualified than me to speak on that topic was also viewing the thread, and then hold back on responding. If this has gone, is there any intention to bring it back?

Flying Phil

Established Member
"Hi again
I have now posted a couple of new images on my threads and it is very easy "Thank You!" -- However my old externally "hosted" photographs are still not showing. Will this be "fixed" or do I have to edit each one and replace them? They were hosted on the "Rods n Sods" website."
I have re-posted this as there has not yet been a reply to the question.
........Still no reply to this "hosted image" not showing any longer on the new site.:'(

Crossover

Established Member
Is there any update on whether clicking the title of the thread from the main RUK home page is meant to take you to the last post, rather than first unread post. It has just caught me out again and I've had to go hunting through the thread to find the first unread post (as it was back a page)

BlueFox

Is there any update on whether clicking the title of the thread from the main RUK home page is meant to take you to the last post, rather than first unread post. It has just caught me out again and I've had to go hunting through the thread to find the first unread post (as it was back a page)
It's working as intended, it's supposed to take you to the last post.
If the admins want to change this it's an easy template edit.

Crossover

Established Member
No they're not:

<D;)<(

<:D

OK, I'll rephrase - they're no longer being recognised under the old notation, which also messes up a lot of the historic posts. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it? Even before, some emots were available via a handful of different methods (prefixed and suffixed by colons or another combination of characters)

BlueFox

Add what..? It’s doing what it should do, taking people to the first unread post. At least that’s what it’s doing for me...

I think you're talking about something different.

If you go to the main forum home page - https://www.railforums.co.uk/
Then on the right of the page, click on the thread title after "Latest:", it should take you to the last post in the thread.

If you're on one of the forum pages (or the watched threads or new posts pages), for example: https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/uk-railway-discussion.42/
Then click on the thread title, it should take you to your first unread post - or if you've read the whole thread, it should take you to the first post.

They're both working as they should.

Crossover

Established Member
As @BlueFox says - if it is as it is then fine and I'll have to remind myself not to do it, but I'm clicking on the titles from the homepage (when I don't remember this behaviour) and missing half a thread as a result as it takes me to the last post, not the first unread. No problem on mobile as on mobile view, the post list doesn't appear on the homepage due to the limited width

SAPhil

I've noticed a couple of things - probably because I tend to read as a guest and only log in if I wish to post.
1. The go to last unread post feature only appears if you sign in - the equivalent option used to work regardless in the old forums (until you cleared cookies etc).
2. The e-mail notifications are now next to useless. You only get one and don't receive another until you have logged in and read the post. This is a shame, I used to find the email a quick way of following subjects I was interested in while on holiday etc with little or no internet access.

Darandio

Established Member
Just bringing the following into relevance as I didn't see a reply when it was first posted, things were hectic at the time with the changeover......

When going to your account page at http://www.railforums.co.uk/account/ it won't allow any changes to be saved, stating 'Please enter a value for all required fields.' even though there are no specifically required fields.

I'd intended to change my Occupation as it hadn't been done for years but it won't let me. Not sure if it applies to other fields.

It still won't allow me to change the occupation. Is this an issue for all or just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.