• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Karl

On Moderation
I wonder what the current percentage of forum members is who only use a desktop computer as their sole mode of using this website?

That's a good question, I have often wondered about it too. My only connection with the internet is via my desktop PC from home. I don't own any mobile phone or laptop etc.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder what the current percentage of forum members is who only use a desktop computer as their sole mode of using this website?
I can't tell you about people who only use desktop but I can tell you that 42% of visits are from desktop and 42% are from mobile (hence why we wanted to make the mobile experience as good as possible!). The remainder is tablet users.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Mainly from a desktop for me, when I view the forums on my mobile I don't log in (the latest/newest posts page works way better with XenForo, the mobile view of it before seemed well whacky, it would say that for example a thread has a dozen new posts, but when viewing the thread, it was possible that the op was the only post

SamYeager

I can't tell you about people who only use desktop but I can tell you that 42% of visits are from desktop and 42% are from mobile (hence why we wanted to make the mobile experience as good as possible!). The remainder is tablet users.

So 58% of site visits are from non-desktop sources or does tablet include laptops? I personally only access this site from a desktop or a laptop computer.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There appears to be glitch in that if you have read a thread but then want to go back to refer to something at the start of it, you can no longer return to the first post by clicking on the thread title; instead you have to click on the "page 1" symbol instead - or scroll all the way back up the page if it's still only one page on the thread.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There appears to be glitch in that if you have read a thread but then want to go back to refer to something at the start of it, you can no longer return to the first post by clicking on the thread title; instead you have to click on the "page 1" symbol instead - or scroll all the way back up the page if it's still only one page on the thread.

That is the intended behaviour. Clicking on a thread title takes you to the first unread post

najaB

Veteran Member
That is the intended behaviour. Clicking on a thread title takes you to the first unread post
I think what @Peter Mugridge is referring to is that in the old software the thread title remained a clickable link while viewing the thread, this behaviour isn't/hasn't been replicated in XenForo.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't understand what you mean; would you please clarify?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think what @Peter Mugridge is referring to is that in the old software the thread title remained a clickable link while viewing the thread, this behaviour isn't/hasn't been replicated in XenForo.

No, I meant the ability to come out of a thread, click the title on the index and go to the first post in it.

According to Matt's reply above, it appears this ability has been designed out of it now.

BlueFox

No, I meant the ability to come out of a thread, click the title on the index and go to the first post in it.

If you're coming out of the thread you've read by using your browser's back button you're probably reloading the page from your browser's cache, so the link will still be for the first unread post.

najaB

Veteran Member
If you're coming out of the thread you've read by using your browser's back button you're probably reloading the page from your browser's cache, so the link will still be for the first unread post.
Yes, that's exactly what's happening - if you reload the thread index and then click on the thread it will take you to the first post.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you can do this. Once the thread has been read, when you click on the thread title on the thread list of the forum you are viewing then this will take you to the first post in that thread. You can also (regardless of whether you have unread posts or not) click on the date it was posted to go to the first page at all times.

Crossover

Established Member
I still think an FAQ type thread would be good here (like frequently requested diagrams) - we are still getting repeat questions (such as Tapatalk) which members could get an answer to without posting here or could be pointed to the FAQ - this would surely save lots of time all round!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
........Still no reply to this "hosted image" not showing any longer on the new site.:'(
Hi Phil, I got in touch with the people who wrote the forum's software and they said that it is probably something to do with how the website you are linking from is displaying the file. They'll get back in touch with me but suggest that you are not too hopeful as it is most likely to be an issue with the website you are hosting the images on.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Phil, I got in touch with the people who wrote the forum's software and they said that it is probably something to do with how the website you are linking from is displaying the file. They'll get back in touch with me but suggest that you are not too hopeful as it is most likely to be an issue with the website you are hosting the images on.

Thanks for trying - it might be to do with the fact that they have put their own RnS logo on the images. I believe that has caused problems in the past. I will go back on some of my posts and try to redo some of the old images with the new system.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could I ask why I appear to have gone back to a 'full size' view on mobile?
It hasn’t. The site is responsive so will adjust to whatever size your browser window is (if you drag the window on your proper computer small enough then it will display the view that normally is only seen on mobile)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for trying - it might be to do with the fact that they have put their own RnS logo on the images. I believe that has caused problems in the past. I will go back on some of my posts and try to redo some of the old images with the new system.
All my old images are now showing, so a big "THANK YOU" to the Mods and tech crew.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All my old images are now showing, so a big "THANK YOU" to the Mods and tech crew.
I was just about to reply to say that the xenForo team have provided a workaround so we can help you on this matter and that this has now been done.

On XenForo, what is the time delay in making entries when a previous posting has been made. Is there different time delay requirements in different sections of the website?
It is typically thirty seconds. This will be the same in all Forums.

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
Any news on correcting the avatar image distortion?

Further examination on my end has led me to discover that once the hard-coded width and height are removed from the HTML code, the current unmodified CSS alone is able to display (still at the correct size) with crisp pixel-perfect results.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If this is an error, then it will be dealt with once designers which we are waiting for a quote from to start work on a wide range of things, in which this is included :)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A query from the Quizzes and Games Forum. When the "XenForo" was first launched, you could make single short posting names of railway stations of three and four letters in length, such as Wem and Drem, without the "vBulletin" hassle of adding full stops to make up a posting length of five letters. I have lost count of how many new contestants that I have given advice on that matter to over the last six and a half years, so I breathed a very large sigh of relief.

Today, I find that the old "5 letter" posting requirement has raised its head once more and I ask the technical staff why this was thought necessary.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Primarily because quite a few people have been posting blank messages recently for some unknown reason.

ooo

Primarily because quite a few people have been posting blank messages recently for some unknown reason.
Would it perhaps be possible to lower the limit to 2 or 3 characters maybe?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would it perhaps be possible to lower the limit to 2 or 3 characters maybe?
Ideally it will dissuade people from posting messages like +1 or lol

Status
Not open for further replies.