• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dcsprior

Maybe I'm not going mad, today clicking on the thread title isn't taking me to the first unread message in the thread but to the first message on page 1.

If you have unread messages clicking on the thread title from inside a forum or subforum takes you to the oldest unread message. If you have no unread messages then it will take you to the first post. From the homepage clicking on a thread title will take you to the newest post (but this will be changed following a request).

From the Unread Watched Threads page (where everything will have unread messages) behaviour is inconsistent. Sometimes (e.g. when I clicked on this thread just now) I get the first unread message, other times the very start of the thread - so to be guaranteed to be taken to the first unread message I have to use the very small icon to the left of the thread title.

Do you have a screenshot of this, as looking at the code I cannot see how this is possible - the links both go to the same place which is the thread url with /unread/ after it.

Next time it happens I'll take a screenshot. If it helps you identify anything in logs/etc I saw it ~90 mins ago with https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/caledonian-sleeper-mk5-discussion.140485/ from Chrome on Android.

Hmm, I've had this again, except I haven't... when I went to take screenshots while hovering over the links I realised that it's almost certainly a fat-finger-error: accidentally clicking on the date under the thread title rather than on the thread title itself.

D'Oh

A Challenge

Established Member
Did you click on "Request Desktop Site" in the options menu for your browser?
It hasn’t. The site is responsive so will adjust to whatever size your browser window is (if you drag the window on your proper computer small enough then it will display the view that normally is only seen on mobile)
I had, and it appears to only be one tab that was then also refusing to resize back k again, and I was wondering that as I didn't remember pressing it it was done by the website. It also has not effected any new tabs made, so problem solved.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Primarily because quite a few people have been posting blank messages recently for some unknown reason.

Easily done by accident from a mobile - I am finding, though I hope I have avoided doing that on here! Touch screens are a nightmare...

Something odd happened earlier, though - around mid day today I lost the signal for 15 - 20 minutes on my mobile, when I regained it I had to log in again despite having selected "stay logged in" and a moment ago I found I had to log in again here on the computer at home.

Was the forum re-set at lunchtime?

johntea

Established Member
Perhaps I'm being blind, but is there some sort of quick 'Search forum' box or option? (As in the sub forum I'm in)

jon0844

Veteran Member
On other forums, people use the 'like' button instead of posting messages like +1 or lol.

Can we consider trying the like function for a trial period to see if it works - say a week or two? I see no reason why it shouldn't and there are countless posts that I'd rather like than respond with a '+1' style comment.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have already given my usual advice to a new contestant on the Quizzes and Games forum in the wee small hours of this morning by PM to overcome the 5-letter single word posting, by the addition of the required number of full stops to be placed at the end of the word in question to be added to meet the reinstated rule requirements.

3-letter single word postings such as Wem, now will show as Wem..
4-letter single word postings such as Yarm, now will show as Yarm.

Karl

On Moderation
Something odd happened earlier, though - around mid day today I lost the signal for 15 - 20 minutes on my mobile, when I regained it I had to log in again despite having selected "stay logged in" and a moment ago I found I had to log in again here on the computer at home.

This also happened to me twice today, including just now. I also have the stay logged in option selected.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is it possible to have the ability to search within a thread added please? I believe that vBulletin had a button that you could click to bring up a box where you typed what you want to seach for within the thread that you're viewing

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it possible to have the ability to search within a thread added please?
This already exists. At the top of the screen on the dark menu is a box that says Search. This opens a drop down and one of the options you can tick says something about Search within this thread only.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 09.34.07.png

One item currently out for tender is a good way of presenting this on Mobile view.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When the "Conversations" link is obtained when you click on a username, at the end of the name on the top section, where it is stated you can contact "x" number of other users if required, after the username first shown, there appears a semi-colon as was the case in the past. However, when a number of users need contacting, there is a note to say that a comma should be used. That being the case, why is a semi-colon rather than a comma shown at the end of the first user name?

BlueFox

When the "Conversations" link is obtained when you click on a username, at the end of the name on the top section, where it is stated you can contact "x" number of other users if required, after the username first shown, there appears a semi-colon as was the case in the past. However, when a number of users need contacting, there is a note to say that a comma should be used. That being the case, why is a semi-colon rather than a comma shown at the end of the first user name?

There's no semi-colon when I do that, there's just the user name.

Crossover

Established Member

This also happened to me twice today, including just now. I also have the stay logged in option selected.

Same happened to me on all devices - in fact it didn't even need the browser to be restarted to lose it - it happened somewhere between 13:00 and 17:00 yesterday afternoon and I was also wondering what had caused it. Glad it wasn't just me!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes this did actually happen (you’re not all going crazy ;)); the forum was upgraded to the latest version.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm pleased to report that our Light Rail Mileage Tables are back up and running again!

You can find London Underground (Imperial) here, Light Rail (Metric) here and Light Rail (Imperial) here.

nw-sparks

Now that the new software has settled in, can I suggest we have a list of improvement requests with their status (Coming soon, working on it, under consideration, already fixed-this is how you do it. etc.) as it is quite difficult to trawl this information from this long thread. You could publish it here or perhaps there is somewhere more appropriate.

For myself, can I ask if there's any news on daily email digests of threads?

Crossover

Established Member
Now that the new software has settled in, can I suggest we have a list of improvement requests with their status (Coming soon, working on it, under consideration, already fixed-this is how you do it. etc.) as it is quite difficult to trawl this information from this long thread. You could publish it here or perhaps there is somewhere more appropriate.

For myself, can I ask if there's any news on daily email digests of threads?

On the first point, I would agree. I have now suggested this twice too, so I'm not holding my breath :P

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How often will these upgrades happen?
I cannot say other than an update will be installed than whenever it is published.

If these do not happen on a regular basis, it would be nice for the forum staff to make an advance posting notification prior to these updates being done, especially of the time of the day when they will occur.
Yes, of course this will be done. Unlike with previous updates on vBulletin the downtime will only be a couple of minutes rather than an hour as we now pay our hosts to do this as the forum is just too large to do it myself.

Lrd

Established Member
I have just noticed the bracketed phrase "You have insufficient privileges to reply here" at the end of the postings on a page on one of my "watched" threads. Can someone explain the implications of this to me.
What thread is it?

Domh245

Established Member
I have just noticed the bracketed phrase "You have insufficient privileges to reply here" at the end of the postings on a page on one of my "watched" threads. Can someone explain the implications of this to me.

That appears on locked threads now

Status
Not open for further replies.