• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LiftFan

Just a suggestion - would it be possible for a "night mode" theme? It is a common feature among lots of websites now and it is much easier on the eyes at all times of the day.

greatkingrat

Established Member

BlueFox

Not sure if it is related to any update, but the thread "Which is your favourite TOC and why?" is showing twice in the General Messages topic list.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/which-is-your-favourite-toc-and-why.142471/
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/which-is-your-favourite-toc-and-why.156876/

Both links redirect to the same thread, so I guess the threads were merged as duplicates, but should it still be showing twice in the topic list?

There was a new thread, with the same title as an old thread from earlier this year. The new one was merged with the old one, and redirection set up. There may be a time limit on the redirection, if there is, the new one will disappear from the thread list. This is usually done so that people can see what has happened, and anyone who bookmarked the url will also be redirected.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
I have noticed the 'Frequenty Requested Diagrams' thread (not the discussion) is open for all to post on. Is this intentional?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The thread is often unlocked so that the posts can be edited.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This already exists. At the top of the screen on the dark menu is a box that says Search. This opens a drop down and one of the options you can tick says something about Search within this thread only.

View attachment 36228

One item currently out for tender is a good way of presenting this on Mobile view.

Is there any reason why the search results are not shown in chronological order, with the latest ones at the top. On some of the thread searches I have carried out on threads on the Quizzes and Games Forum, the results shown are totally jumbled up in no date order whatsoever,

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is there any reason why the search results are not shown in chronological order, with the latest ones at the top. On some of the thread searches I have carried out on threads on the Quizzes and Games Forum, the results shown are totally jumbled up in no date order whatsoever,
At the bottom of the search page before you click the button to start the search are two options to order your results. These are ‘Most recent’ and ‘Relavance,’ the latter being the default. If you wish to have them in date order then you will need to select ‘Most recent.’

Crossover

Established Member

Seems the site doesn't cope well with over long items as shown in the highlighted parts below. I have also seen the same happen with longer usernames too

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A couple of times on my mobile phone, I've tried to quote a previous poster and all I get is a message saying "message added to multiquote" however the quotation box doesn't appear. Is there a fix for this ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A couple of times on my mobile phone, I've tried to quote a previous poster and all I get is a message saying "message added to multiquote" however the quotation box doesn't appear. Is there a fix for this ?

You need to hit reply if you just want to quote a single poster as this will immediately insert the relevant post. + Quote is used when you want to quote multiple different posts and causes an 'Insert Quotes' button to appear on the left hand side of the reply box.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Seems the site doesn't cope well with over long items as shown in the highlighted parts below. I have also seen the same happen with longer usernames too
This was an issue known about during testing and unfortunately isn’t anything that can really be done about this; hence the reason that the 14 character username limit that previously applied on vBulletin has been retained. Indeed someone asked within a few hours of the forum upgrade if they could have their name extended but unfortunately had to be declined. This is a compromise between having too short usernames given the issue very rarely occurs (indeed on my Mobile in landscape mode I can still view the full boxes).

There doesn't seem to be any highlighted part in your post.
The highlighting is in the image.

rebmcr

Established Member
The highlighting is in the image.

This is what I'm seeing:

lTr8yxB.png

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That would be because @Crossover has uploaded the image to a private album and has not given you the permission to view it.

SamYeager

That would be because @Crossover has uploaded the image to a private album and has not given you the permission to view it.

Silly Crossover. ;) More seriously I believe it's not that obvious to the poster that they've done that. Equally as we've seen there's no indication to other users that there's a permissions issue. Is it possible to make it clearer to both posters and readers in future? I realise that you're probably still busy resolving more important issues but perhaps this could be added to the list?

rebmcr

Established Member

Can I suggest that the forum software be set to indicate such a situation, rather than leave an apparently-incorrect half-post behind?

I'm not sure about the privacy interface, but if @Crossover did not intend to make it private, maybe the default there should be changed and/or the setting made more prominent.

Crossover

Established Member
Silly Crossover. ;) More seriously I believe it's not that obvious to the poster that they've done that. Equally as we've seen there's no indication to other users that there's a permissions issue. Is it possible to make it clearer to both posters and readers in future? I realise that you're probably still busy resolving more important issues but perhaps this could be added to the list?

I blame it on bloody useless software! I may be missing something about adding images to a post, but I could only see to add it to an album and then post that which seems very haphazard if so. Any advice (from anyone generally) if I'm being a muppet would be appreciated. If it isn't apparent to me, I would imagine it isn't to others, as I am generally pretty "on it" when it comes to such things, given I work in an IT role!

Crossover

Established Member
This was an issue known about during testing and unfortunately isn’t anything that can really be done about this; hence the reason that the 14 character username limit that previously applied on vBulletin has been retained. Indeed someone asked within a few hours of the forum upgrade if they could have their name extended but unfortunately had to be declined. This is a compromise between having too short usernames given the issue very rarely occurs (indeed on my Mobile in landscape mode I can still view the full boxes).

OK - I did wonder but thought I would post anyway in case. The screenshot above was taken from Firefox running maximised on a 1080p screen at normal zoom so should be plenty screen real-estate!

Crossover

Established Member
Right, I think I may have spotted an issue! On the Guess The Station thread, there is an option at the bottom of the posting box to "Upload File" - such an option doesn't seem to exist here...is that why I have had to go about adding the image in such an odd way?

It also seems that various images on this thread, on looking, are actually hosted on an external site and linked to here

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Right, I think I may have spotted an issue! On the Guess The Station thread, there is an option at the bottom of the posting box to "Upload File" - such an option doesn't seem to exist here...is that why I have had to go about adding the image in such an odd way?
It’s just in this forum that members do not have the rights to upload a file.

rebmcr

Established Member

This was an issue known about during testing and unfortunately isn’t anything that can really be done about this

I believe there is a CSS tweak that will resolve that without modification of any theme elements, and without impacting surrounding areas. I'll test it when I have more time and then report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.