Forum Update

Discussion in 'Forum Information & Announcements' started by Mojo, 4 Oct 2017.

1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

No idea, it’s probably the way it’s always been but never been picked up on before! With more than 20 Usergroups and each forum having to have Permissions set separately for each Usergroup it’s a lot to get it work and I’d like to put a strategy in place before engaging in changes.

2. Mojo

This wouldn’t be something that would ever be possible. Is intriguing that on here it stops you seeing the image, even Facebook allows you to view an image if you have the URL for it!

3. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Fair enough. There is probably an argument for having had plans pre go-live. Nonetheless, hopefully it can be sorted, as uploading images to this section is evidently a bit of a pain in the proverbial!

That's probably because Facebook's security is a bit hopeless in that regard (though it can be useful at times). The forum software doesn't allow it - I have just tried with the image I uploaded using a different browser where I'm not authenticated. I would suggest the way Facebook operates is not the norm from my experience

4. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Ah cheers, I'll try that next time !

5. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    I am note sure if this point has been raised previously, but under the vBulletin former system, it took a new website member to make five postings in order that certain contacts could be made. Have matters changed under the new XenForo system?

6. Mojo

By “certain contacts” do you mean send a Private Message? In which case no this is still the same, a new customer had to have made at least 5 posts to initiate a new private Conversation, however there is a change in that any standard member (ie. those with more than 5 posts) can initiate a Conversation to new members and that member can reply to them.

A small change was also made to profile posts in the last 24 hours, now new members cannot post any profile posts, but they can comment on existing ones. This change happenned because a fairly noticeable number of new members were, for some unknown reason, posting a profile post on their own personal page asking a question, rather than making a new thread.

7. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Thanks for the above information. Incidentally, when the previous vBulletin system was in operation, was there a box at the foot of the last posting made showing which other forum contestants were viewing the same thread?

8. GusB

GusB Member

It all seems so long ago now, but I do recall that the old system also allowed you to see who was also reading the same thread.

9. GusB

GusB Member

I completely forgot to ask my own question! Why is it that photographs sometimes expand within the current page, and some open up in a new tab entirely? I've noticed this mainly on the "Guess the train" thread, but it happens on others as well. It happens whether the photo is either embedded within the post, or as an attachment. Is there an option to determine this behaviour?

10. Crossover

If you mean the one by DanTrain of Sheffield station, I think it is because it has been posted on their profile album and linked, rather than attached to the thread in the "traditional" way

11. Crossover

Is there any indication as to how long it may be before there is an option for members to change posts per page? Having 30 is proving awkward from my point of view progressively moreso as I can't just have a quick read of a topic but have to read all 30 to return to the the then first unread

Also, has the issue with clicking on a thread from the homepage and it going to the last post been addressed - I believe it was going to be and it seems other UI work has been carried out

12. Mojo

This will never change, it just isn’t an option. When the issue was first raised the limit was lower than 30; it was raised a few weeks ago to 30.

13. Crossover

I believe it was suggested there was a plug-in that allowed it to happen, though I'm not currently in a position to go hunting for it? It's a hugely retrograde step from vB

14. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

It is an option with an add-on. I posted a link to it earlier in this thread. I have it running on my own forum with no problems.

It's a10 minute job to install and set up.

15. Mojo

Due to reasons stated on the xF forum the addon causes numerous link problems and therefore would be not wise to install. The one you linked to is also nearly three years old and whilst it may work on this version it does not state as such.

16. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

It can cause problems if people link to a page in a thread, rather than link to a post in the thread, If other people are using a different number of posts per page.

But people should be linking to specific posts instead of linking to a page. It was the same in vbulletin.

The benefits outweigh the possible problems in my opinion.

17. Mojo

Not as far as I am aware; the unread data is only available in the thread record itself, so it will not be possible to display this on the homepage. This was one of the items on the list for the designer to look at at and he has come back to me to say that it is not possible.

18. Crossover

OK, thanks for the update on this