Forum Update

Discussion in 'Forum Information & Announcements' started by Mojo, 4 Oct 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes we didn't have it on vBulletin.

2. Karl

Karl Member

Great work with the new forum. The only thing I miss is the option to increase the posts per page to 50. Is there a possibility of a future addition?

3. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

That's been discussed several times in this thread. The admins don't want to do it.

4. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

Has there been another change?

5. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

It seems there is now a style "Rail UK Forums v2" which for me has superseded "Rail UK Forums v2 O"

6. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Earlier on this evening the top right hand corner was slightly different e.g. there was a little "envelope" sign next to the "inbox". It has now reverted to normal however (at least om my machine).

7. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

I reverted it to the original, but that was done manually.

8. GusB

GusB Established Member

I've noticed a few changes on mobile. The notification drop-down now acts the same way as in a desktop browser, and there's a lightning bolt icon which I don't remember seeing before which seems to go to New Posts.

9. Crossover

The green triangle indicating online status is fixed (it was in the wrong place before)

10. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Whatever changed yesterday seems to have reverted to how it was previously. A pity because what I was seeing on my phone yesterday was much more user friendly.

11. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Perhaps the forum staff will make a posting about this, as I am sure it was not recently mentioned in the "forthcoming changes".

12. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

At least on desktop, go to the bottom of the page and click where it says 'Rail UK Forums v2 O'. Choose the option for 'Rail UK Forums v2' and it gives the updated style (for me, anyway!).

13. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Thanks. That seems to have worked on my phone. Much better having the separate Alerts and Messages notifications

14. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

And 40 minutes later things have reverted to the original layout and the option to choose v2 has disappeared from the bottom of the page.

15. Crossover

V2 is still my default and is still active. Looks like it has tidied up a few bits of formatting (including the buttons to post, add attachments etc too)

16. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

It's stayed on the original for me too, the little green 'online' triange has gone back to hovering in midair!

17. Crossover

It disappeared for me again earlier but the new style has reappeared again now

18. A Challenge

A Challenge Established Member

Rail UK Forums v2 O is showing the old version, and Rail UK Forums v2 is the new version displayed briefly yesterday.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2018
  19. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Is it therefore proposed that Rail UK Forums v2 will be launched in the foreseeable future, if that be the case?

20. centraltrains

centraltrains Member

I'm still hating that modelling and memorabilia are in different categories... Usually get use to changes after awhile but really struggling to get use to this one :/

21. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

I'm currently using Rail UK Forums v2, so I think it has technically been launched (a soft launch admittedly, with no publicity)

22. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

The lightning bolt button has now been removed for me, on v2.

23. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

I seem to be getting V2 consistently now without any changes since Sunday. The lighting bolt is definitely there and very useful.

24. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Is it? Has your interface not got a 'New Posts' button directly below it then? Or do those buttons do something different?

25. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

There isn't a New Posts button as such but it is written there. However every now and then it changes to Search which is very annoying when it does it just as you click it while looking for new posts. The lightning bolt seems to behave consistently.

26. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

And 7 minutes later I am back to where things were a week ago. The lightning bolt has disappeared and the option to move to V2 at the bottom of the page has disappeared.

One assumes from the lack of any statement by the Forum Staff that these random changes are outwith their control.

27. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I was always confused with the two themes as they looked identical, so maybe there's an attempt to fix one of them and remove the other.

That said, I'd like the ability to change themes as we had before.. but you need the main one working 100% first, then you can go customise.

28. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

If that is the case surely somebody up there could post a brief message asking for patience while things get fixed.

If it was a TOC quietly altering things with no explanation there would be letters to the Times by now.

29. Mike395

Mike395 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jon's hit the nail on the head - we're just doing some tinkering with the v2 theme at present, it's undergoing testing. Thanks for bearing with us :D The v2 theme is still 'under developement' so is OK to use when it does appear, but you may find it being tinkered with until we're 100% happy with everything, though no core functionality is affected.

Just to add for clarity, the standard theme (without v2 at the end) is unchanged and is the official 'supported' theme at present. If you see v2 appear, by all means do check it out, but don't be surprised if it has to disappear again whilst we make further 'under the hood' amendments.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2018
  30. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Thanks for the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.