• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Jon's hit the nail on the head - we're just doing some tinkering with the v2 theme at present, whilst we quash some bugs. Thanks for bearing with us :D The v2 theme is still 'under developement' so is OK to use when it does appear, but you may find it being tinkered with until we're 100% happy with everything, though no core functionality is affected.

Just to add for clarity, the standard theme (without v2 at the end) is unchanged and is the official 'supported' theme at present. If you see v2 appear, by all means do check it out, but don't be surprised if it has to disappear again whilst we make further 'under the hood' amendments.

I was wondering where it had gone! :lol: I enjoyed using it, the ability to be able to see alerts immediately and view them with one click is very handy. Look forward to its return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I enjoyed using it, the ability to be able to see alerts immediately and view them with one click is very handy. Look forward to its return.
Was this not already possible for you? That is what I have been doing for a while?

There isn't a New Posts button as such but it is written there. However every now and then it changes to Search which is very annoying when it does it just as you click it while looking for new posts. The lightning bolt seems to behave consistently.
I've never experienced any inconsistency with the New Posts button. Where you say there isn't a button as such, but 'New Posts' is "written there" - that rather sounds like it's the New Posts button you are looking at?
By contrast, I have experienced inconsistency with the lightning bolt icon being there or not. Although this is a moot point for the moment as the new style is now unavailable for me.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Not that I'm aware, I had to click on my profile then on alerts to see any alerts. With v2 there was a separate alerts icon to click.
What sort of device are you using? For me they appear like this:

5tylok.jpg

Glenmutchkin

Was this not already possible for you? That is what I have been doing for a while?

I've never experienced any inconsistency with the New Posts button. Where you say there isn't a button as such, but 'New Posts' is "written there" - that rather sounds like it's the New Posts button you are looking at?
By contrast, I have experienced inconsistency with the lightning bolt icon being there or not. Although this is a moot point for the moment as the new style is now unavailable for me.

I would have replied to your post last night, attaching a screenshot to show what I am seeing. However I cannot work out how to attach or embed the screenshot to my post. Is there a guide on how to do this anywhere on the forum?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm doing all of this on a phone so I don't think Control V is an option. I can copy the screenshot but can't seem to find a paste option.
You need to save the image and then upload it to either your forum gallery or an image hosting website.

Crossover

Established Member
I would have replied to your post last night, attaching a screenshot to show what I am seeing. However I cannot work out how to attach or embed the screenshot to my post. Is there a guide on how to do this anywhere on the forum?

In some threads, you can attach the image directly within a post. This isn't one such thread

Crossover

Established Member
If that is the case surely somebody up there could post a brief message asking for patience while things get fixed.

If it was a TOC quietly altering things with no explanation there would be letters to the Times by now.

If only the forum had a 'Like' button! Couldn't have agreed more

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Like what sorry? All I see is a blank space after your text.
I had to upload the image and link to it because we don't (for some reason) have permission to upload attachments in this thread. Sorry.

I've got v2 back, but there is definitely no more lightning bolt icon.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I had to upload the image and link to it because we don't (for some reason) have permission to upload attachments in this thread. Sorry.

I've got v2 back, since this morning, and the lightening bolt is present as before.

Crossover

Established Member

I've got v2 back, since this morning, and the lightening bolt is present as before.

Lightening bolt there for me on mobile at the moment, also on v2

Crossover

Established Member
Ah, Worksafe is back now, which I haven't seen about for a while.

That's exactly how it looks for me.

I'm on Apple Safari and it looks slightly different for me (no envelope or bell) but that may be screen width/resolution related

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah, Worksafe is back now, which I haven't seen about for a while.

I'm on Apple Safari and it looks slightly different for me (no envelope or bell) but that may be screen width/resolution related

It looks different if I open Chrome, old style

rebmcr

Established Member
Is this the best place to request a small change to the new skin?

The search icon on the top right being bright red is very distracting — I keep thinking it's a new Alert since that's the only small red object I'm used to seeing up there.

I think this is something that @Mojo usually works closely with?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is this the best place to request a small change to the new skin?

The search icon on the top right being bright red is very distracting — I keep thinking it's a new Alert since that's the only small red object I'm used to seeing up there.

I think this is something that @Mojo usually works closely with?
Someone else mentioned this to me. Unfortunately the work was completed by a designer and all paid up for and completed in early December (so coming up to four months ago now) so I can’t go back on this now. The button colour is the same throughout the forum so it would require a wholesale change, but when we will be getting someone in to look at future changes whenever that may be, I will be sure to raise this.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Someone else mentioned this to me. Unfortunately the work was completed by a designer and all paid up for and completed in early December (so coming up to four months ago now) so I can’t go back on this now. The button colour is the same throughout the forum so it would require a wholesale change, but when we will be getting someone in to look at future changes whenever that may be, I will be sure to raise this.

I still think on the whole it's an improvement over the older version. A job well done in my book. :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I mainly use the HP Pavilion desktop system when accessing this website and at the bottom on the page where the blue bar has the "Contact Us" link at the right hand side, on the left hand side where it states RailUK Forums v2, what is the following symbol that looks like a representation of a paintbrush?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I mainly use the HP Pavilion desktop system when accessing this website and at the bottom on the page where the blue bar has the "Contact Us" link at the right hand side, on the left hand side where it states RailUK Forums v2, what is the following symbol that looks like a representation of a paintbrush?
Hi Paul, what do you mean? It is a paintbrush.

Domh245

Established Member
It looks like the software had a bit of glitch with BST - left me a bit confused as to how I'd managed to post something yesterday at 2327 and then afterwards at 0806 for a minute before I figured it out.

W7AJjEn.png

skyhigh

Established Member
On this post - Thameslink core ATO into use - there's a box at the top with what appears might possibly be a message from a moderator? It seems a bit less obvious than the red text used before, if that is the case. I would add a screenshot but I'm unable to do that from this device!

Status
Not open for further replies.