• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum upgrade complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've noticed that double clicking on a sub-forums name in the main listing will mark it as read (alongside the usual methods with the semaphore and the dedicated button) - is this behaviour intentional? I've accidentally marked a few subforums as read with rapid clicking since the upgrade
Yes this is correct. It's the only way to allow a forum to be read without going into the forum, as so many people asked for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CrispyUK

This is a change from earlier requests and looks right to me.
Yes I’ve noticed this has been changed as per the previous requests, it appears to load exactly to the top of the text, so nothing is cut off but it doesn’t leave any padding above. It’s perfectly functional although I appreciate what people are saying, if the anchor/jump to point could be a fraction higher it would be slightly more aesthetically pleasing, but very minor :)

backontrack

Established Member
I've noticed that double clicking on a sub-forums name in the main listing will mark it as read (alongside the usual methods with the semaphore and the dedicated button) - is this behaviour intentional? I've accidentally marked a few subforums as read with rapid clicking since the upgrade
Came here to say this! :lol:

gnolife

Established Member
Yes this is correct. It's the only way to allow a forum to be read without going into the forum, as so many people asked for.
Is there any way an option to turn it off can be added - it's quite annoying when I slightly misclick, or my laptop mistakes me trying to move the cursor for a click, and it decides to mark a forum as read?

backontrack

Established Member
For some reason, the update's made my screen look a bit different, a little more 'accurate'. I take it this is an issue at my end?
I have attached a screenshot demonstrating the issue.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 21.59.21.png

(meant lightheartedly)

Last edited:

dmncf

If you select the Advanced Search option, you can specify a ‘Newer than’ date which will allow you to filter out older results.

Also on the advanced search you can change ‘Order by’ to Date, which will display newest results first (instead of the default ordering by relevance, which gives you the random order of dates).
Like user ValleyLines142, I have found the search feature less helpful since the forum software update. If it were possible, I would prefer 'Order by date' to be the default setting. I find 'Order by relevance' to be less effective.
Thanks though to those that have worked hard on the software update.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Like user ValleyLines142, I have found the search feature less helpful since the forum software update. If it were possible, I would prefer 'Order by date' to be the default setting. I find 'Order by relevance' to be less effective.
Thanks though to those that have worked hard on the software update.
In this regard, it is no different from how the software before the version change worked.

D365

Veteran Member
For some reason, the update's made my screen look a bit different, a little more 'accurate'. I take it this is an issue at my end?
I have attached a screenshot demonstrating the issue.

(meant lightheartedly)

Going by your signature, you must be exceptionally bored!

(Dare I say; you missed an opportunity by not renaming yourself as "bacontrack")

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Guessing that the black dot link next to thread names won't be reinstated. Shame - was a quicker and more reliable way to go to the first new post of a thread.
To go to the first new post in a thread you just click on the thread title. The black dot did nothing - it was just a visual clue.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This one concerns the Quizzes and Games forum, where a number of thread contributors may well be watching a thread at the same time and ready to make a posting and the previous XenForo system showed who was watching the thread. There have been a number of recent instances where thread contributors have had to strike-through a posting, as now they now have no knowledge of who is viewing a thread and likely to make a posting.

This is part of a posting that I made very early on in this thread. I cannot recall an answer to this particular part, so have the website staff any responses to make?

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
To go to the first new post in a thread you just click on the thread title. The black dot did nothing - it was just a visual clue.
I always found that clicking on the thread title seemed almost random in where it led you - sometimes to the first new post, sometimes to the top of the page the first new post was on, and sometimes just to the first page in the thread, and then I'd have to click the 'first unread' button to get there. The black dot was always to the first new post pretty much regardless. Strange.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is part of a posting that I made very early on in this thread. I cannot recall an answer to this particular part, so have the website staff any responses to make?

It remains in development and I think it can be said that "it will be done when it is done and not a moment before!" :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always found that clicking on the thread title seemed almost random in where it led you - sometimes to the first new post, sometimes to the top of the page the first new post was on, and sometimes just to the first page in the thread, and then I'd have to click the 'first unread' button to get there. The black dot was always to the first new post pretty much regardless. Strange.
They both work(ed) exactly the same.

It is worth mentioning that post unread data is deleted after 30 days. Hence, if you click on a title for a thread you have not visited in a month, it will take you to the first post. Clicking the black button just took you to the first post that was made a month ago. Some people mistakenly thought that was a bug.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’ve noticed recently that a green mark appears beside someone’s profile picture on a post - it seems to show whether or not someone is online. Is this part of the new update or is it just something I’ve never noticed before?

5420D0CD-6626-49AC-BB2F-79E64A930E87.jpeg

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve noticed recently that a green mark appears beside someone’s profile picture on a post - it seems to show whether or not someone is online. Is this part of the new update or is it just something I’ve never noticed before?

View attachment 77493
This used to appear as a little green triangle in top-left of your avatar.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Heartfelt thanks to the website technical staff from "the regulars" on the Quizzes and Games forum for bringing back this particular item.
I’ll echo that as well. I’ve not been on the Quizzes and Games forum that regularly in the last couple of weeks, but I very much appreciate it being back.

RichT54

There used to be an option to delete photos from my own album, but since the upgrade I don't seem to be able to find it?

Crossover

Established Member
Does anyone know how to get a link to a post on the new software (mainly on mobile)?
I’m sure it was previously done by clicking on the post number which popped up a box with various different code options (including embed) but it doesn’t seem to work. In the end, last night I resorted to a screenshot to send to someone!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know how to get a link to a post on the new software (mainly on mobile)?
I’m sure it was previously done by clicking on the post number which popped up a box with various different code options (including embed) but it doesn’t seem to work. In the end, last night I resorted to a screenshot to send to someone!
Just click on the hash, and then the link will be in your address bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.