• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum upgrade complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka

Just click on the thread title; same way as previously.

If the thread title is not in bold, this means that you have no unread posts in this thread, so will take you to the first post.
Ah that works, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Was the removal of a minimum message length part of the update? I ask as I posted “York” on one of the quiz threads yesterday, whereas I would usually have had to put “York.” to fit the minimum 5 character requirement. If so, many thanks, it’s much appreciated.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Biggest annoyance for me is, someone has just posted in the thread, notification, which puts me off, the post i'm making, i feel this is unnecessary & doesn't add anything to the forum
That is nothing new, we have always had that feature and it comes as standard.
I think he is talking about the message that pops up, when you are in a thread, and someone else has replied before you have submitted your reply.
Indded that's what i'm on about.
I actually do find it useful as the new post can often provide additional information or clarification that causes me to rethink the post I was working on.

It's very useful in the Quizzes and Games forum.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A month has elapsed since I made this request, and whilst I appreciate other matters of website upgrade must take priority, can a member of the website staff give an estimated time when this "Areas" item will be reinstated, please.
I thought I had said, but it doesn’t work, our forum is simply too large for it to work.

RichT54

In post #86 I asked about the option for members to delete photos from their own albums, but I can't find any reply. The reason I asked is that I assume there is a limit to the disk space per member and if you reach that limit you need to be able to delete some older images to make room for new ones. The previous version of the forum software definitely had that option, but I can't find it in the current version. The photo thumbnails have a checkbox in the top left corner which has a tooltip "Select for moderation", but it doesn't provide an option for deleting the photo. Is it possible to add a delete option?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Was the removal of a minimum message length part of the update? I ask as I posted “York” on one of the quiz threads yesterday, whereas I would usually have had to put “York.” to fit the minimum 5 character requirement. If so, many thanks, it’s much appreciated.

The Quizzes and Games forum has many threads that rely upon a single-word answer of four or three letters in length, so this new allowance to most certainly one to be welcomed. Over the last nine years, I must have lost count on PM that I have sent to contributors on that particular forum, showing the addition of one or two full stops at the end of the four and three letter station names in posting submissions to meet the minimum five-character requirements.

It was only reading the above posting that I became aware of the new ruling.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any chance the search system could be adjusted to order threads and posts in reverse date order By default, ie most recent first?

I’ve noticed that when searching for existing threads (with the titles only box ticked) it generates a fairly random set of results.

Veteran Member
Any chance the search system could be adjusted to order threads and posts in reverse date order By default, ie most recent first?

I’ve noticed that when searching for existing threads (with the titles only box ticked) it generates a fairly random set of results.
I agree - though I tend to go straight to Advanced and tick by date, which gives "newest first."

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Noting the actual title of this thread, plus certain points raised by website members on refinements that still could occur, can the website technical staff now state that all envisaged website changes have now been made and that no other changes will be made.

BenW390Fan

I've noticed that on Google Chrome I get the original RailUKforums logo and the XC Voyager but on Microsoft Edge I get the RailUKforums 15 years logo and a GWR IET. Is there any reason for this? I can provide screenshots too if you want

Domh245

Established Member
Sounds like chrome still has the old version cached. A 'hard' refresh using ctrl+f5 should force it to reload the correct logo

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m still seeing a slight glitch when attempting to link back to a previous post.

As an example, my post #3961 this morning in the East West Rail infrastructure thread includes a link to previous post #3769. The link goes to the right place, and includes a text extract, but the text is taken from the first post on that page, (#3751), and isn‘t actually relevant in terms of the current discussion.

There was a time (shortly after the upgrade) when similarly posted links took you to the top of the relevant page, rather than the exact post. Perhaps theres a similar solution?

Many thanks...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi

This is not a bug but intended behaviour. A direct post just takes you to a post anchor on that page.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Assuming that a process of 'continuous improvement' is involved with this forum, with a review and feedback loop....

Would it be possible to have a 'cancel' button?

At present, once you have hit the initial 'reply to thread' there is no means of escape, other than typing 'ignore' or 'post deleted' and then pressing 'post reply'. If you simply leave the page without posting your reply, the draft seems to remain in limbo, awaiting your return.

Strange as it may seem it is possible, having pressed 'reply to thread' to realise that, in fact, you haven't actually got anything useful to say!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Assuming that a process of 'continuous improvement' is involved with this forum, with a review and feedback loop....

At present, once you have hit the initial 'reply to thread' there is no means of escape, other than typing 'ignore' or 'post deleted' and then pressing 'post reply'. If you simply leave the page without posting your reply, the draft seems to remain in limbo, awaiting your return.

Strange as it may seem it is possible, having pressed 'reply to thread' to realise that, in fact, you haven't actually got anything useful to say!

Just do what I do and ignore the apparently "in limbo" text. If you do later reply to the same thread, just blank the draft and write from scratch; the "in limbo" text won't appear. If you don't reply to the thread again, that text won't pop up anywhere else.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Just do what I do and ignore the apparently "in limbo" text. If you do later reply to the same thread, just blank the draft and write from scratch; the "in limbo" text won't appear. If you don't reply to the thread again, that text won't pop up anywhere else.

The function already exists ;)

Towards the right of the formatting bar there's a save icon, click on that and a "delete draft" button will appear. See below for a visual aid:

drafts.png

py_megapixel

Established Member
I keep inadvertently triggering some shortcut on the homepage which marks every single post in a particular sub-forum as read, removing the bold text. I don't know what this shortcut is so I can't just avoid it!

Is it possible to have some kind of confirmation before it marks an entire list of posts read please?

Domh245

Established Member
I think you're inadvertently double clicking the title of the subforum, which marks it as read. Apparently this is a requested feature and unlikely to be changed, you just have to be more careful with your mouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.