• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forums for Rail Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm sure the OP can set up his own forum if he wants to. If he does, please pop back in to let us know how it's going.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I often wonder whether those members who complain about being criticized are perhaps members of the younger generation who don't like to be corrected. It would be rather naive to think that you could go through life without at some stage being corrected.

In my experience, all age groups can exhibit worrying amounts of unconscious incompetence!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
As I was an enthusiast before I became railstaff would I be allowed to join?
What happens when a member gets a job on the railway, would they be banned from the site?
What happens when railstaff leave/retire, can they then join the site?
Is the OPs plan in any way practical?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I often wonder whether those members who complain about being criticized are perhaps members of the younger generation who don't like to be corrected. It would be rather naive to think that you could go through life without at some stage being corrected.

What's with the "younger generation" suggestion?

Some of the most petulant antics on this forum that I know of come from people of an age which really meant that they should know better. Of course we get younger people who can be a massive pain, but no age group is immune from it.

Younger members who are immature have hopes of growing out of it. I doubt that would happen with those who are 40+/50+/60+.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
What's with the "younger generation" suggestion?

Some of the most petulant antics on this forum that I know of come from people of an age which really meant that they should know better. Of course we get younger people who can be a massive pain, but no age group is immune from it.

Younger members who are immature have hopes of growing out of it. I doubt that would happen with those who are 40+/50+/60+.

I'm not referring to posters who are immature in their behavior whilst using the forum. I'm referring to young people who make wildly unrealistic suggestions for the redeployment of redundant rolling stock / ill thought infrastructure proposals and then don't like it when their ideas are scrutinized by railway professionals.

I would agree that members of all ages can be petulant at times and regrettably on occasion I've been no different. However I've always taken on board the opinions of railway professionals which have enabled me to have a much greater understanding as to how the railway network operates. If certain younger members were prepared to do this perhaps we would have fewer accusations of people being "slagged off".

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not referring to posters who are immature in their behavior whilst using the forum. I'm referring to young people who make wildly unrealistic suggestions for the redeployment of redundant rolling stock / ill thought infrastructure proposals and then don't like it when their ideas are scrutinized by railway professionals.

Similarly the same thing happens with people of all ages. Getting older doesn't necessarily equal being realistic and capability to think things through.

I would agree that members of all ages can be petulant at times and regrettably on occasion I've been no different. However I've always taken on board the opinions of railway professionals which have enabled me to have a much greater understanding as to how the railway network operates. If certain younger members were prepared to do this perhaps we would have fewer accusations of people being "slagged off".

I wouldn't call you petulant from what I have seen. Some of the behaviour I refer to are truly shocking, and may not be visible to everyone as they got dealt with quickly.

Mike99

I like the forum, I pick and choose the items relevant to my particular railway interests or the regular posters that are either entertaining or normally make an interesting point. A good aspect of the forum is that theres always the option to use the 'ignore a particular poster' if you don't like there views or beliefs.
I usually follow a thread until it starts to drift away from the original post or it gets a bit argumentative between posters.
Overall its a great forum, I log in most days when I get in from work have a look see whats going on etc.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.