• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fotopic Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGVDUDE

After Fotopics Down Time Last Week, I thought i'd wait it out until Sunday, and its still on-going, I'm not sure of the problem but none the less i am very much thinking of producing my own Website Gallery, do any of you know any decent site that can help with this? besides Flikr as i've used this before Fotopic and didn't particularly like the Copyright protection.

Many Thanks,
Lewis M

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I've been trying smugmug and am very pleased with it. The standard option costs about £25/year, but you get unlimited storage space on all account types, as well as unlimited bandwidth usage (something that fotopic didn't have):

http://nsefan.smugmug.com/

Obviously there's a whole lot more you can do with it; I just like a basic site to store my pics on!

blackfive460

Why not just build your own web site?
Plenty of domain name registrars will sell you a .co.uk name for around £15 for two years and give you some free web space.
There are lots of page templates available if you don't want to learn any HTML, although setting up a simple page is quite easy once you get started.
Doing it that way, you keep control of your own work without giving any rights to anyone else.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Flickr does have copy protection in the form of a transparent gif overlaid over the photo. Of course this is easily overcome, but so are the "No Right Click" scripts.

Best bet would be to add a subtle watermark or to use digital watermarks that are invisible to the viewer but allow a photo to be traced even after printing. Some of the huge watermarks that blank out the entire photo are just counter productive!

A good gallery manager for self hosting is coppermine, once installed you can add captions, receive comments (though spam is a problem) and the results look similar to fotopic

blackfive460

A good gallery manager for self hosting is coppermine, once installed you can add captions, receive comments (though spam is a problem) and the results look similar to fotopic
I'd far rather use something like Lytebox which uses a fairly simple Javascript to allow a thumbnail gallery or slideshow style page.
Coppermine looks a bit over the top to me. Ok if you want to get into SQL, etc. and there are certainly plenty of features but I doubt that much of that is really required for a photo gallery page.

On the subject of Flickr and the like; the thing I really don't like is the usual condition about giving away rights to your work. It's condition 8b with Yahoo/Flickr but they all seem to have something similar.

TGVDUDE

Think i'll just head to Flikr, can anyone please advise me on simple ways to place Watermarks on my shots, only really want my name on them lol,

Lewis M

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member

TGVDUDE

I use Picture Shark - http://www.picture-shark.com/watermark_freeware_image_protect_gallery_download.htm - make an image or logo that you want to mark with, then just run the files though (as a batch), it creates a watermarked copy leaving the originals intact

Thank You!

Lewis M
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right Folks, the like to new Flikr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lewismitchellrailways/

I am going to Upload my 2011 shots, and earlier shots uploaded on request :)

Please take a look,
Many Thanks,
Lewis M

Last edited:

Track Basher

Why not just build your own web site?
Plenty of domain name registrars will sell you a .co.uk name for around £15 for two years and give you some free web space.
There are lots of page templates available if you don't want to learn any HTML, although setting up a simple page is quite easy once you get started.
Doing it that way, you keep control of your own work without giving any rights to anyone else.

This is not a bad idea but I have found this can be a bit time consuming and with posting large numbers of images eats into your disk space allocation very quickly.

There is a slight variation on this. I have just registered a new domain name for 2 years for £7.20 inc VAT with www.lcn.com. You can then use web forwarding to point this to your actual photo site (the real web address). This has the benefit of should you change hosting or another Fotopic implosion occurs you just move your address to the newly hosted site.

Dai.

Established Member
Argh, Sorry! Easier way is to search his username on the advanced search and get it to show threads.

Snapper

Established Member
You could try Zenfolio. Exceptional good support should you need it and pretty easy to use and make a nice site...

http://englishelectric.zenfolio.com/

I must admit that I've also plumped for Zenfolio. It's not bad, a little repetitive with some functions rather than having the option of global settings perhaps. That said it looks a lot better than Flickr which I find quite amateurish looking.

HST Power

Established Member
I agree. Flickr does appear basic, but it's still a very good photo source, which is what counts, I suppose.

windoze11

Cheers Dai i prefer putting photos on the thread like i do rather than hunting through flickr sites or links to where pictures are
i do the same on various aviation forums i belong to aswell it seems more popular thanks

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was a message on one of the gen groups the other day saying that someone has bought the Fotopic servers off the receivers and is trying to get them re-activated; apparantly they went off line because the ISP hadn't been paid.

Not sure if it's as simple as the new owner just paying the ISP though; I'm guessing there is an awkward re-registration process to go through as well?

atomicdanny

That is interesting though! if they do come back it would be good news but saying that I wonder if those who have paid for subscriptions would get anything back from them, then again I'm not expecting much as I've already started to uploaded my *bad* (compared to most people on here that is!) photos on to my own webspace!

(I could have used flickr because I have a free pro account being with BT although I just don't like it that much its not horrible but it just doesn't seem that good to me when compared to fotopic or some of the others!)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I quite like Flickr. It is simple to use, allows for captions and tagging and has a good selection of groups. It is also easy to search. It is easy to share your pictures and allows for comments form other users. I find it easy to upload to and generally easy to navigate. The lightbox feature is also useful allowing for just the selected picture to be viewed.

I got my pro membership for about £15 for a year which is quite good value i feel. The free memebership is good but you are only aloowed about 11 pages of pictures.

I guess it depends what you want. I like the easy interaction between users via the coment feature i also like the fact you can restrict access to some photos to friends/family only.

Have a look a my thread from the link at the bottom of this entry and see what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.