• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FR] Burgundy trams in Dijon

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Bonjour,

during my trip to Lyon I did a stopover in Dijon. The last time I went to Dijon was 20 years ago as part of an exchange program in school. So the time was ripe to go back to take look at the city and the tram network in particular.

Tramway de Dijon

The network consist of 2 lines. Line T1 runs from Dijons railway station ("Dijon Ville") to Quetigny in the suburbs. Line T2 runs from Valmy to Chenôve. In the city center both line overlap (between Gare Foch and Republique stations)

View from the parking garade above Dijons station down on the square in front of the station. In the middle two trams of line T1 at their terminus

xxplacegarev1uhx.jpg

The rolling stock consists of Citadis 302 by Alstom. I like the design

xxgare6ruts.jpg

Interieur view

xxinterieur0wu66.jpg

xxinterieur2uzu1q.jpg

xxinterieur309uvm.jpg

As Dijon is in the Burgundy region of France, I guess the paint job should reflect this with some kind of burgundy tone.

Ticket seem to be equipped with RFID chips. You just need to put them close to the validator.

xxvaliderfpunr.jpg

Additionally, the seem to be rechargable, because the first question of the ticket machine was: Do you already have a ticket? For a new ticket I had to pay a fee of 30Ct.
Nice feature of the validator: On each validation the display will show, for how long the ticket is valid. So I did know to the minute, when my 48h ticket was to expire.

The station all have the same design

xxpiscine1x8uw4.jpg

Each station is equipped with a screen the show the next departures and give additional information (e.g. On the day I arrived there was a strike, the information on the screen gave details about the effetcs on the service)

xxaffice_departafuvz.jpg

Impressions from Darcy station. Its the gateway to downton

xxdarcy4l9uyv.jpg

xxdarcy5ywu4o.jpg

xxdarcy3usul4.jpg

xxdarcy6ueudu.jpg

The arch "Porte Guillaume" is dedicated to monk and architect Guillaume de Volpiano

xxdarcy2evupl.jpg

Pretty impressive facade for a cinema

xxdarcycineiyulp.jpg

At Place de la Republique the two tram lines split. Their stops are located at opposite sides of the square. Three pictures of T1 at Republique

xxrep130uid.jpg

xxrep2t1u8u.jpg

xxrep3kguxl.jpg

Interesting design (in the backhround a tram of line T2 is leaving its Republique stop and heads to Valmy)

xxrep4s0u2l.jpg

Impressions of tram heading to or leaving Valmy. I liked the combination of green, blue sky, red trams and the roundabout

xxvalmy1zquht.jpg

xxvalmy2sdumo.jpg

xxvalmy312u3m.jpg

xxvalmy40vuq4.jpg

xxvalmy5z8ugc.jpg

Line T2 passed below the roof of the Toison d'Or shopping centre.

xxtoison2p9u67.jpg

Between the stations Europe and Nation the tram runs on the left and on the right of the Avenue de Langres. Their path seperate in the roundabout at the Place de la Nation

xxeurope2u4u35.jpg

Single outbound tram tracks (T2 heading to Valmy)

xxeurope3b4u1f.jpg

Across the street: An inbound T2 heading to the city center

xxeurope160u2p.jpg

Tram T1 hiding behind some trees at terminus Quetigny

xxquetigny188ugr.jpg

and the T2 in the vicinity of stop 1er Mai

xxmai1ztumw.jpg

xxmai2y0u1m.jpg

Mixed stuff

So sum this up, some mixed stuff. The Lac Kir (a lake created by a adding a dam ot the Ouche river) offered a place the relax with a lot of water and green

xxparc29xuhf.jpg

xxparc3u3uj4.jpg

Additionally, the rail line to Paris passes by. A view across the lake on a passing train

xxparc17euqd.jpg

When I stepped off the bus, this train of engines came along. I managed to get my camera in place for a last minute shot

xxnachschusskqu4v.jpg

A northbound TGV

xxparctgv0puow.jpg

Three different TER paint jobs in Dijon station: TER Bourgogne

xxter_bourgogne0uukd.jpg

TER Franche-Comté

xxter_francheq8u6f.jpg

a the very colourful TER Champagne-Ardenne

xxter_champequfj.jpg

Architektur mit buntem Dach in der Innenstadt

xxarch1xvus4.jpg

Thats it from Dijon. It was a great trip. I was lucky that the weather played along too. When the rain came, was about to get en route for Lyon ;).

I hope you enjoyed the report. Looking forward to your feedback.

Salut
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Nice pictures, visited Dijon in April 2005 and stayed at the Kyriad hotel near the station (wasn't as lucky with the weather as you were,unfortunately) don't recall any sign of the tram system construction having started back then, but it looks a most impressive system. That was a stroke of luck catching the loco convoy! Thanks for sharing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.