• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FR] new section of LGV Est went into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

On Sunday, the SNCF started running revenue service on the new section of high speed line "LGV Est". The line cuts the travel time between Strasbourg and Paris to 1h50 (a gain of roundabout 25min).

Following last years accident (a train derailed during a trial run) trains have to single track on the Eastern end of the line.

Bon Voyage

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
It is strange, because the train at 19.18 from Strasbourg to Paris Est takes 2 hours and 14 minutes. The most are 1 hour and 45 minutes (fastest) and most others are an extra 10 minutes between those 2 cities.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Following last years accident (a train derailed during a trial run) trains have to single track on the Eastern end of the line.

Much as it's good to see another extension of the LGV system, I am very surprised SNCF has been allowed to bring it into service so soon after a catastrophe (not an "accident") which killed 11 people and destroyed the test train and a lot of SNCF's reputation.
I feel sure if such an accident had happened here, the ORR/RSSB/DfT would have kept the line closed until a full report was issued and actions taken against the operators.

MarkyT

Established Member
Much as it's good to see another extension of the LGV system, I am very surprised SNCF has been allowed to bring it into service so soon after a catastrophe (not an "accident") which killed 11 people and destroyed the test train and a lot of SNCF's reputation.
I feel sure if such an accident had happened here, the ORR/RSSB/DfT would have kept the line closed until a full report was issued and actions taken against the operators.

Not surprising really. Authorities were quick to conclude and point out that the incident could not have happened at all under normal passenger running conditions, and the railway at the site consists of two independent single track alignments including separate bridge structures over a canal. One of these remained completely undamaged so could be brought into use.

Veteran Member
It is strange, because the train at 19.18 from Strasbourg to Paris Est takes 2 hours and 14 minutes. The most are 1 hour and 45 minutes (fastest) and most others are an extra 10 minutes between those 2 cities.

I think there are pathing issues because of the single line section.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It's remarkable to see this now below 1h50m.

I was a student in Strasbourg about nine years ago (memo to new undergraduate students... grab an ERASMUS opportunity while you still can).

Back then I had a sessional tutor who came to our department once a week from Paris. It was four hours each way; he had to be on a train at Gare de l'Est for 6AM, and taught us non-stop from about 10AM until 5PM before going back to Paris. He spent most of that time telling us our work was rubbish. I couldn't tell if it was because we genuinely were rubbish or because an eight hour round trip made him permanently grumpy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.