• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FR] Paris: IZY, Métro, Trams and green spaces (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Bonjour,

I could not resist the 39€ Paris offer in the SNCF Newsletter. So I spent a few days in the French capital. Some impressions from different points around the city. In terms of sight seeing I visited several parks mostly a bit of the usual tourist tracks. I hope you enjoy it.

"IYZ" is the new low cost brand of Thalys. It offers two or three round trips a day between Brussels and Paris-Nord. To save costs tha trains avoid using high speed lines in France were possible. As a consequence the trip time is 2h15 which is about one hour longer than with the Thalys. But tickets are much cheaper and start with 10€ for standing room and 15€ for a folding chair. I like the paint job

izy1x6srp.jpg

izy26dsnu.jpg

In the East of the city in the "Bois de Vincennes" (take M1 to "Chateau de Vincennes") you can take a walk in the "Parc Floral". It houses trees and plant from around the world. Tulips after a short rain shower

foral3h4six.jpg

foral4bdsab.jpg

I took refuge in the green houses and took a look at the Bonsais and cactuses

foral1fss7o.jpg

foral2gusfp.jpg

Some Métro impressions. A train of line M1 is parked in station "Porte Maillot"

m1_maillotv0sq3.jpg

After extensive refurbishment "Louvre Rivoli" has been reopened. It combines Métro and Art

m1_louvre54sxj.jpg

Departure board in black

m1_louvre2eis7w.jpg

The M8 crosses the river Marne between "Charenton - Écoles" and "École Vétérinaire de Maisons-Alfort" station. View from the road bridge close by.

m8_pont17bst3.jpg

m8_pont25is7v.jpg

View from the "Place de Valois" on the Paris side of the river

m8_pont3i3syc.jpg

m8_pont4xsstl.jpg

Train of line M2 running along the elevated part of the line

m2_train02sql.jpg

Old rolling stock (MF67) meets the new rolling stock (MF01)

metro9_mix99sqd.jpg

Nice visual mix within the standard white tiles

metro_tilesbds3v.jpg

Worth a visit and pretty easy to reach using M10 ("Porte d'Auteuil" station): The "Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil" located on the outskirts of the "Bois du Boulogne". Several green houses show a wide range of plants

serre3lpsmb.jpg

serre2qmsig.jpg

serre1gds68.jpg

Right a round the corner, was something called "Roland Garros" - seemed to be somewhat related to tennis ;).

A short walk away from T2 stop "Parc de Saint-Cloud": The "Domaine National de Saint-Cloud". The area consists of various types of gardens and parks.

cloud2i7siv.jpg

x_cloud4demg.jpg

The T2 between the road and the river Seine

cloud_tramgmscm.jpg

Always a nice place to be: The "Jardin des Plantes" next to the Gare d'Austerlitz

plantes1xasj5.jpg

plantes2ausd8.jpg

The structure of RER C with its hugh amount of branches is pretty confusion. In Gare d'Austerlitz the SNCF tries to ease the orientation with signs like this one:

rer_cqgsxk.jpg

In "Châtelet-Les Halles" stations notes like "Est" or "Nord" helps when changing to RER A, B und D

rer_chateletyisel.jpg

Providing service information to the ridership is a big issue in the Métro too. Screens like this show the current service status and the next departures

m1_info5ws4m.jpg

One of my favourite parks in Paris: The "Parc de Bercy" (M14 station "Cour Saint-Émilion"). Its style is a little bit different

bercy1b1sij.jpg

bercy2cjsxp.jpg

Nice walk: From the metro station through park, via a footbridge (which offers a nice view on line M6) to the "Bibliothèque National de France". At station "Bibliothèque François Mitterrand" next door you can hop on the M14 again.

Next stop the depot of line M5 in the North East (located between the stations "Bobigny-Pantin-Raymond Queneau" and "Bobigny - Pablo Picasso" alongside the "Canal de l'Ourcq". View from a bridge over the canal

m5_bobigny43lssj.jpg

m5_bobigny5tqsc3.jpg

m5_bobigny6husd7.jpg

m5_bobigny9cosjx.jpg

Métro train approaching station "Pablo Picasso"

m5_bobigny177sc2.jpg

m5_bobigny10dms3x.jpg

Look though the fence on parked trains

m5_bobigny3wwsd2.jpg

A walk along the canal offered the chance to catch some trains passing by

m5_bobigny7nas3m.jpg

m5_bobigny84xskr.jpg

Another mix of canal and rail: The T3b crosses the canal Saint-Denis between the stop "Porte de la Villette" and "Canal Saint-Denis".

t3b_st_martin4ljs5e.jpg

t3b_st_martin1elsnf.jpg

t3b_st_martin291s7y.jpg

t3b_st_martin3orsl5.jpg

t3b_st_martin57bsnw.jpg

View on the tracks that run along the canal

t3b_st_martin7nksdm.jpg

The rail line Paris-Mulhouse crosses the canal in this area as well. A TGV on the bridge

t3b_st_martin_tgvkesg6.jpg

This colourful lighting can by found in several stations (e.g. M4 "Montparnasse-Bienvenue")

m4_lumiereyasfy.jpg

Chartres

One hour away by train: Chartres. Most visible landmark is the cathedral

chartres_cath2vrsgq.jpg

chartres_cathlospe.jpg

On the inside a paradise for stained glass window enthusiasts. Nice touch: angled elements in the rose window

chartres_cath_rosetterqsh0.jpg

Reflections on the canvas covering the construction area

chartres_cath_travauxg5swk.jpg

Hard to notice because its mostly covered with chairs: The labyrinth .

chartres_cath_labyjfsw7.jpg

Luckily enough, there is a small one the cathedral gardens ("Jardins de l'Évêché") next door

chartres_cath_laby_exeqsjo.jpg

Nice paint job :)

chartres_maisonxuska.jpg

Looking for a bakery or how to get to Rio? This sign will help.

chartres_chemind9sq3.jpg

Next to the cathedral a maze of small alleyways and the river Eure

chartres_leure1bszb.jpg

chartres_leure2uisn8.jpg

The "Parc des Bords de l'Eure" stretches along the river bank

chartres_parc_leureqtsm5.jpg

chartres_parc_leure2b9sdd.jpg

Located beneath a rail viaduct: The "Jardin de l'horticulture". The park mostly houses different types of trees

chartres_parc_via220sm7.jpg

It seems the SNCF tries to crack down on fare evasion. Five employees blocked the access to the platforms in Chartres. Only ticket holders were allowed to pass. For long distance services I experienced this for TGV services in Paris-Nord last year. In Paris-Montparnasse these gates look like the next step

montparnasse_barrierepms0o.jpg

Being the Catholic for favourite way of ending a day of sightseeing: Attending the evening prayer ("vêpres" in French) in "Notre Dame de Paris" cathedral . Listing to the Psalms, mumbling prayers in more or less good French and enjoying the view on the rose window.

ndp_rosettej7sd3.jpg

As visiting continues during services there is a special atmosphere: You are sitting in the nave praying and tourists are walking along or taking pictures.

After dark the cathedral is quite a looker ;) (picture taken on a trip back in 2013)

alkmi2jw5.jpg

This concludes my little wrap up of Paris and Chartres. Was a nice trip especially, because the weather turned out to be much better than predicted.
As always, your feedback is very much appreciated.

Adieu
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.