• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FR] Trip to Lyon: Métro, Trams and a great station

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Bonjour,

I spent a few days in Lyon. Apart from a lot of sightseeing, I managed to catch some rail-related impressions.

Let's start with the Métro. The network consists of four line. Lines A, B and D use rubber tires, linie C uses toothed rack rail for a steep section

Métro C

A few pictures from Croix Paquet station show the need for rack rail. Additionally, line C is the only line of the network that is not running completely under ground.

xxc_croix_paquet1kzujh.jpg

xxc_croix_paquet27fuzz.jpg

xxc_croix_paquet3jau90.jpg

Some artwork in Henon station

xxc_henon_art1exu7z.jpg

xxc_henon_art2nuu12.jpg

Métro A and B

Lines A and B use the same rolling stock and are controlled by a conductor. A train of Linie A

xxa_trainohujr.jpg

The tail tracks in Perrache (the terminus of line A)

xxa_wende_perrachetdupj.jpg

Some stations had pretty impressive designs: These metal pillars in Debour station give it a nice touch.

xxb_jaures1jpula.jpg

xxb_jaures24du87.jpg

How about a metro under palm trees? Terminus Vaulx-en-Velin of line A.

xxa_vaulxuwufm.jpg

Richt around the cornder: The maintenance yard for lines A und B.

xxa_bhf1u3upu.jpg

xxa_bhf2q4ue1.jpg

At Gare d'Oullins (line B) a piece of the tunnel boring machine used during the extensions is kept.

xxt_ouilline_schneidrwguc3.jpg

This may look like a rusty container, but in fact its one of the entrances to Gare d'Oullins.

xxb_ouilline_entreeljuyy.jpg

Reminded me of church windows: art work Place Guichard station

xxb_guichard_vitre0iust.jpg

Métro D

Line D has no conductor, it is runnning fully automated and its running much more frequently than line A and B (headways of about 3 minutes throughout the day). The rolling stock has an orange paint job.

A train in station Vieux Lyon located next to the Lyons old town. Right around the corner is the cathedral St Etienne.

xxd_vieux1wiupv.jpg

View from the overpass down to the tracks

xxd_vieux27tuuf.jpg

A piece of art or just a thing to keep people from climbing between the cars? I have no idea - maybe both.

xxd_vaise_train_barri6cu4n.jpg

Some more pillars: This time made of stone (station Parilly)

xxd_parilly16qun8.jpg

xxd_parilly28qud2.jpg

My personal favourite: blue and orange meet in Valmy

xxd_valmy20sumu.jpg

or just blue

xxd_valmy1z4uu1.jpg

Aéroport Lyon St. Exupéry

A took a friends advice to heart that the TGV station at the airport is worth a visit. In retrospect I fully agree. It was worth the 30 minute ride on the Rhônexpress tram and the 25€ I had to pay for the return ticket.

On the train I was told that there is 4h return ticket for 7,50€. I had checked fare in advance on the website and booked the ticket online, because there online discount. Unfortunately, the 4h ticket was not mentioned on the website (or I just missed it).

The station hall

xxexp_dach2ghujb.jpg

The red tram in the foreground is the Rhônexpress on its way back to downton Lyon

xxexp_dach_leonardoucunn.jpg

Regular guest at the station: Ouigo-TGVs. SNCF low cost trains linking Gare de Marne La Vallée Chessy TGV to various destinations in the south of france

xxexp_ouigoeru9p.jpg

I spent quite some time there, because I wanted to wait for the sunset to get a glimpse of the station in the dark too. As this took much longer as expected I had to buy expensive airport food, because I go pretty hungry. But the reward was worth it.

xxexp_sunsetlsumn.jpg

xxexp_nuit1bxut6.jpg

xxexp_nuit2b5uwy.jpg

xxexp_nuit3ykuxi.jpg

xxexp_nuit4whuvl.jpg

Shot of the interieur (taken more or less at the same spot) at three different times of the day.

xxexp_interieur1jnupo.jpg

xxexp_interieur3x7uqa.jpg

xxexp_interieur498u93.jpg

Look down unto the platforms

xxexo_voisgeucl.jpg

Tram

Since the year 2000 trams are running on Lyons streets again. The fleet consists of Citadis 302 by Alstom. I did not like the design of the trains that much.

xxt_citadis77yvu.jpg

xxt_interieurg3uxc.jpg

My favourite location for tram pictures: The bridge in front of the Musée des Confluence

xxt_pont_confluence1uuu8l.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence2arusa.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence3d3uqw.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence4qau5z.jpg

I liked the museums architecture: Its quite different from your usual museum complex

xxmusee_confluence0ouq5.jpg

xxt_confluence1vuuq5.jpg

Tram on the wall of Perrache station

xxperrache_imagejhuou.jpg

Trams in the green

xxt_3ybu52.jpg

xxt_confluence2r6ueu.jpg

All trams but one look alike (I have no clue why this one has a special look. As I did not catch it until the last day of my trip there was no time to check it out some more).

xxt_silberpfeilhuus4.jpg

Mixed stuff

Lyons public transportation network consist of several rolleybus lines and two funicular lines.

xxobusk4ucc.jpg

Train of funicular F1 in station Fourvière

xxf2qpuvy.jpg

We are going down

xxf2_decente4du46.jpg

The Fourviere offers a great view ove the city: on the left in black the opera house, in the middle in red the Crédit Lyonais tower and on the right the cathedral

xxfourviere_vue2gubc.jpg

A view up the Fourviere: The basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière and Tour Métallique de Fourvière

xxfourviere_vue_updgufn.jpg

More or less by accident I stumpled upon theses TER tram-trains in St. Paul station. Seems to be the same rolling stock that is used in Nantes

xxter_st_paule9u7l.jpg

To sum the trip up some more architecture: The opera house and the headquarters of TV station Euronews

xxopera7cug4.jpg

xxeuronewsxsunt.jpg

Thats it for today folks. I hope you liked the report. Looking forward to your feedback.

This was my first trip to Lyon but definitely not my last. The city has a great vibe that I liked from the minute when I stepped off my TGV train in Part Dieu station.

À bientôt
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Merci beaucoup.
Are what you call "tail tracks" the "arriere-gare" or sidings where trains reverse? I ask because someone asked me this week to translate "arrière - gare" into UK English.

k-c-p

As I am not a native English speaker I used "tail tracks" in lack of a better term.

I guess, in French "arriere-gare" would the matching term to describe the scene shown, because it is at the end of line and trains reverse for their return tour. But there is also space to store some trains

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Terrific - glad you got to St Paul - was there a few years back when the entire service was run by old style SNCF railcars (friends lived on one of the branches - near Ecully) - it was very poorly used at the time - deserted in fact.

A very pleasant city all round.

Kristofferson

Wow, some stunning architecture and very different looking trains there!

Is the Lyon Metro a bit more... civilised than the Paris metro? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.