• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

France - "TER" v "TGV"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemz91

Evening all, just after a bit of information travelling in France. I'm travelling from Nice to MARSEILLE in July by train. Now, I already have the "FIP" coupons us railways staff are able to get. When I've searched times, some trains come up as "TER," others "TGV."

Am I right in thinking I need a reservation for the TGV but not TER? Travel time theres not much difference, but being a tight fisted Yorkshrieman, I like to save money. Is it worth paying for the reservation to travel on the TGV? The journey is about 2 and a half hours, so I'm likely to want a beer at some point, and maybe some food, will this be available on both or just the TGV?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rf_ioliver

The food/drink offerings on the TGV are minimal - last time I did that route it was not much more than a snack bar. It is however France so I am sure that wine and beer are available.

TER are the local train services, expect nothing more than a seat :)

Between Nice and Marseille the TGV runs at "normal" speeds so other than missing out a few stations, I guess it comes down to comfort and the need for a beer.

The only thing I can think of is to try to sit upstairs on the left hand side to get a view of the coast...

Enjoy Nice and Marseille ... great seafood

t.

Ian

Gemz91

Thanks for the quick reply. Might have to stop off at the French equivalent of an off licence to stock up on beer for the trip!

If the views are worth it, I assume I might be better off going on the TER service as I won't then be tied to a certain seat and will be able to enjoy the views upstairs on the left?

Only spending an evening in Nice and a day in MARSEILLE, shame I won't have longer to enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing Marseille's football ground though! Might take the wife back another year.

tannedfrog

The point of the TGV on this route is the very high speeds on the Marseille to Paris section, so you may just as well take the TER for Nice to Marseille, although it can get busy.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There is no French equivalent of an off licence, just go to any supermarket.

rf_ioliver

Only spending an evening in Nice and a day in MARSEILLE, shame I won't have longer to enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing Marseille's football ground though! Might take the wife back another year.

That's a shame (not spending more time, not about the wife :) ... plenty to do around there regarding rail ... Nice to Breil and back via Ventimiglia and along to coast via Monaco (stop off and walk around the F1 circuit/city). The Nice-Digne narrow gauge line (4 hours into the mountains and 4 hours back).

If you're flying into Nice, then typically the planes arrive from the west so sit on the left hand side again for views, weather permitting. The landing and take-offs are great there, the airport however is a hot and chaotic - try to spend as little time there as possible :)

t.

Ian

Gemz91

I gave an explanation of the different types of train on the Cote d'Azur in a previous discussion, here:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130166

to reiterate, the coast line there is a not a high speed one so no advantage to taking a TGV

Thanks for that, I should really have done a search before I started this topic. Will give it a read through when I get back from work later.

That's a shame (not spending more time, not about the wife :) ... plenty to do around there regarding rail ... Nice to Breil and back via Ventimiglia and along to coast via Monaco (stop off and walk around the F1 circuit/city). The Nice-Digne narrow gauge line (4 hours into the mountains and 4 hours back).

If you're flying into Nice, then typically the planes arrive from the west so sit on the left hand side again for views, weather permitting. The landing and take-offs are great there, the airport however is a hot and chaotic - try to spend as little time there as possible :)

t.

Ian

Are you a local? Certainly one of the places I'd like to visit proper in Europe. At the moment I'm flying into Nice on the Wednesday, then got a ticket for the Euro 2016 semi Final in Marseilles on Thursday, then upto to Paris (train) on the Friday. Bit of a whistle stop tour. Originally planned to head straight to Marseilles on the Wednesday when I land, but re-concidering that now and thinking of having the evening in Nice, before getting the train early Thursday morning.

I will try and sit on the left if I get chance on the plane, and won't be hanging round too long in the airport, plan on making the most of the little time I have there!

NicholasNCE

The only advantage taking a TGV on this journey is that TERs are extremely unreliable in this area of France and tend to be delayed or cancelled at very short notice. Additionally, the stock tends to be in very poor condition making it hard to see out of windows at times...

rf_ioliver

Are you a local? Certainly one of the places I'd like to visit proper in Europe. At the moment I'm flying into Nice on the Wednesday, then got a ticket for the Euro 2016 semi Final in Marseilles on Thursday, then upto to Paris (train) on the Friday. Bit of a whistle stop tour. Originally planned to head straight to Marseilles on the Wednesday when I land, but re-concidering that now and thinking of having the evening in Nice, before getting the train early Thursday morning.

Not local but been in that area quite a lot for work reasons (Nice, Sophia Antipolis, Cannes, Marseille etc)...seems to be quite popular for conferences for some reason...climate, food, wine, I am sure have nothing to do with it at all ;)

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.