• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

France to Spain by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Is it possible to travel by rail from Paris to Madrid direct during the day rather than overnight on the Elipsos train? If not what is the minimum number of changes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris999999

Alternatively:

Paris Gare de Lyon dep - 07:15
Figueres Vilafant arr - 12:41

Figueres Vilafant dep - 13:03
Barcelona Sants arr - 14:46

Barcelona Sants dep - 15:00
Madrid Atocha arr - 17:45

One more change, but Figueres Vilafant is cross platform and the journey is 4 hours quicker.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
But the sleeper train is cool!

Having travelled on the Elipsos train recently I had a sleeper berth and whilst the meals and drinks in the restaurant were good I was not so impressed with the actual ride quality.

As the train does not travel on any high speed lines it was quite a challenge to actually get some sleep whilst the train went over numerous junctions and points.The ride was quite lively at times.

I was in a berth at the end of a carriage and the noise from between the carraiges was loud and annoying and a few other people who I spoke to also had trouble sleeping.

Despite the cabins being rather small it was nice to have a shower in the morning to freshen up and breakfast was good.

I'd like to travel the route in the day to see the scenery although I am not sure that the day time trains mentioned take the same route as the Elipsos does.

I'd like to travel the route in the day to see the scenery although I am not sure that the day time trains mentioned take the same route as the Elipsos does.

I've done a bit of research on this. It looks like the Elipsos takes the route: Paris, Orleans, Poitiers, Vittoria, Burgos, Valladolid and Madrid.

Judging by the suggestion to change at Irun, and this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irun_railway_station, it looks like that train follows the same route from Irun into Madrid.

I can only assume the same is true for Paris - Irun.

Chris999999

The route via Irun is the closest. Though the day train will take the LGV to south of Tours whilst the sleeper will not. There is of course nothing to stop you taking trains on the same route as the sleeper if you wish.

Beyond Tours, the trains will probably take the same route Poitiers, Bordeaux, Biarritz, Irun, and in Spain, though of course you will miss the gauge changing which the sleeper does. For all other trains you need to change at Irun/Hendaye.

Whatever you choose, you won't be able to do it all in daylight in one day.

johnnychips

Established Member
Alternatively:

Paris Gare de Lyon dep - 07:15
Figueres Vilafant arr - 12:41

Figueres Vilafant dep - 13:03
Barcelona Sants arr - 14:46

Barcelona Sants dep - 15:00
Madrid Atocha arr - 17:45

One more change, but Figueres Vilafant is cross platform and the journey is 4 hours quicker.

Well done Chris, I knew that option existed, but I couldn't find it anywhere easily. Give it a year or two and there should be regular direct trains. Going to Barcelona in July, so looking forward to see how the Sagrera interchange has progressed since last year.

9K43

One of my little loves is sleeping on a train, and getting paid double time after midnight.
Or when the PIC tells you that your engineering train will not be moving for at least ten hours, is music to my ears,. If you are on a class 60 make sure you turn the cooker off before you go to sleep,other wise your boots may get rather warm.

Marton

out of interest do they still change the wheels to broad gauge on the border?

years ago I travelled this way & the boggies were changed while we were on board

These are not bogie carriages, but TALGO with articulated carriages and axles; hence the low height of the carriages.

TALGO is the Spanish acronym for "Tren Articulado Ligero Goicoechea Oriol" (Goicoechea-Oriol light articulated train), Alejandro Goicoechea and José Luis Oriol being the founders of the company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talgo
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having travelled on the Elipsos train recently I had a sleeper berth and whilst the meals and drinks in the restaurant were good I was not so impressed with the actual ride quality.

I was quite impressed. We had a mid carriage cabin.

i thought the low carriages were good too, less rocking as with bogie stock.

Sulzer023

Do any passenger trains use the narrower gauge on the dual gauge sections from Figueres to Barcelona - or is this only for freight at present?

Status
Not open for further replies.