• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

France: upper Moselle line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I just noticed that the line from Apach (Moselle) to Thionville has now got only to pairs of passenger trains on weekends and nothing weekdays. I remember the line beiing electrified and double track. Is freight still significant? Is a total closure imminent? I assume freight trains for Germany can just as easily run via Luxembourg.
Thanks.
Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
Also any experts on Metz station? How old are the canopies?
The Metz-Apach-Trier service has got very poor patronage. It is also weekend only.
If you want to travel the French section of this beautiful line, I suggest to do it soon.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Yes; on Sunday only 11.29 and 20.29 from Apach to Thoinville. Not sure whether Luxemburg likes to get freight that is not for them and can easily via Apach. What is the benefit?

duesselmartin

Established Member
Yes; on Sunday only 11.29 and 20.29 from Apach to Thoinville. Not sure whether Luxemburg likes to get freight that is not for them and can easily via Apach. What is the benefit?

Paying track access for Lux should be no problem if there is spare capacity. The Apach line costs money and TER Lorraine seem to lack interest.

Gordon

Metz station:

The covered deck with the car park on top dates from 1975.

Thionville - Apach:

like many lines in this area this line was heavily aligned towards freight traffic. This has declined with the decline of heavy industry.

The international long distance passenger that used the line suffered the fate of similar 'secondary' cross border routes in the 1980s, and a couple of international trains that used the line were withdrawn. Then in 1989 the line lost its military trains serving the French sector of Germany

The local passenger service is a curious one. It was once a reasonable service, then in the 70s - 80s had about 5 returns a day. I don't know why the service has been cut so much in recent times, but having visited the area in the past (several times from the early 70s when there was still German steam to Apach - through to the 1990s) I can think of the following possibilities:

The villages served are not very big;
Perhaps school arrangements in the area were changed so that the line lost its student traffic;
The main road from Sierck doesn't have to pass through many pinch points so it is probably quicker for locals to drive to work in Thionville;
Local industry along the valley closed down so there was no traffic outbound from Thionville along the valley during the day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.