• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fratton sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

winks

Weren’t the new rail sidings at Fratton meant to support the 442s ?

are they complete now and what is the plans ?
Seems like more wasted cash !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Basically yes, but if previous plans had continued they’d now be needed for 458s? But if as I suggested in the Dec 22 consultation thread they’ll end up with too much rolling stock then who knows.

But maybe it’s not a big problem, they could still stable any other stock there and maybe reduce the overnight stabling requirement at the two Portsmouth stations. Not sure which is preferred, I suppose it depends where the cleaners are based.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
I can say for certainty they are definitely still needed to reduce outberthing constraints. There are currently two 12 car diagrams both allocated to the new sidings, one of which is being held in Farnham and one at Portsmouth and Southsea. They should have been in use but there are on going concerns regarding walking routes for the shunter as well other snagging issues.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

No the new sidings at Fratton were a SWT HLOS scheme to accommodate the class 450s displaced by class 707s on the Windsor Lines.

Delivery of these sidings has been very slow and in the meantime all manner of outberthing has been taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.