Fraud calls..."I am ringing about your Microsoft computer"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xenophon PCDGS, 12 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

I wasn't attempting anything of the sort to be honest. Just suggesting that some people might think that way

2. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

If a salesperson (on the phone or even in person) is trying to bulls**t me, should I show any respect to them when they think I'm a mug and worthy of ripping off?

I am not nasty, but I won't be nice either and I won't have started it.

These calls aren't selling anything, rather trying to streal money. I'd find it hard to be nice back.

3. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

I see no problem in fighting lies with more lies, drivel with more drivel, as you say, I didn't start and I didn't choose to be bothered by idiots!

4. ThePannier

ThePannier Member

My grandma gets the same one ringing on an almost daily basis. She identifies a female and sometimes a male voice. The last time I was there and it happened, she put it on loudspeaker so I could hear. The woman was saying her broadband is incorrect, etc., then after my grandma told her there was nothing wrong with her broadband, I was in fits laughing when she said ''you are fraudsters, my dear'' and the woman responded ''Madame, please don't use that sort of language, do you have any idea who I am''. I think she got ''fraud'' mixed up with ''f***''. She then hung up.

5. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I've never told anyone on the phone to **** off. But I've been told to by callers who eventually realise that they're wasting their time (or think that I'm responsible for wasting their time).

So many times I say to them 'Why are you still talking to me?' and 'Haven't you realised I'm just playing with you?' and quite often they STILL carry on with their sales pitch.

I shared a house with two students who worked on phones calling people from a phone directory (no TPS checking there!) and trying to book appointments for windows, doors, conservatories etc - and to them it was just a job, but personally I could never do a job where I neither believed in the products I was selling, nor the methods employed to try and sell them.

But it's hard to say that nobody should do the job, as people need to earn a crust.

6. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

How on earth do we get a thread running to 5 pages when the simple answer has always been to put the phone down !

7. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Because some of us have warped senses of humour and far more creative mindsets than others not so gifted in this respect to pour scorn on these unsolicited calls with our own version of logic.

8. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

I get Freud calls where a man with an east European accent asks about my relationship with my mother. Any advice?

9. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Because some people like to have some fun with callers from time to time.

10. GaryMcEwan

GaryMcEwan Established Member

I got a 'Microsoft' call a few weeks and was advised that they had called me as my laptop had gotten a virus and that I needed to get this sorted out by speaking to them.

I told them that I use a Google Chromebook for my day to day stuff to be told that...'Google Chromebook's do not exist.' I asked him to explain himself and elude to how he came to that conclusion, he subsequently got a bit verbal and said that he would keep calling back.

Thankfully I've now got the Truecaller app on my phone so it flags any sort of call like this...

11. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

My knowledge of computers and computing is such that they always put the phone down on me first.

12. Class 172 Fan

Class 172 Fan Member

I say that I am putting them on hold to get "someone" then just put them on mute on my mobile and see how long they last. My record is half hour with that.

13. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

My apologies - I was probably a bit brusque there !

14. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Member

Aha! ;)

15. Class 66's

Class 66's Member

I just tell them I run Linux - had someone on the phone who was convinced it was a Microsoft Windows PC:)

16. trentside

trentside Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

These are the best investment I ever made. Not one of these calls has ever eluded the system as they seem reluctant to state their name and company. Sadly cuts down on my fun, but makes my life a lot more peaceful.

17. Johnuk123

Johnuk123 Established Member

I recommended one of those in post 25, excellent.

18. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

I see they block up to 100% of nuisance calls, is that the best they can do?

19. trentside

trentside Established Member Associate Staff Senior Fares Advisor

They really are. Just out of interest, I turned it off for a couple of days and they were still trying despite being TPS.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Ha, they do a pretty good job - they certainly stop silent calls. I've also had a couple of calls logged at 3/4am which I'm pleased they managed to stop.

20. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

From this website:http://notalwaysworking.com

Enjoying reading the responses on this thread, are there any more?

EDIT: Another:
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    One more:

Last edited: 19 Oct 2015
  21. swj99

swj99 Member

I've got the number of our local BT call box in case anyone who I don't want calling me asks for a number. I gave it to Paypal last year, because they kept trying to phone me, despite having been told I'd only communicate with them in writing.

Reminds me of a classic Robbie Coltraine line from The Comic Strip Presents - Dirty Movie.....
    Yes. Don't tell him.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2016
  22. deltic1989

deltic1989 Established Member

I had another one the other day.
    Nothing to do with Windows or anything like that, but about a "road accident" that I supposedly had.
    The Conversation went something like this;

Me: Hello

Caller: Hello, Sir, I am calling in regards to the car accident you had, a few years ago.

Me: And what accident would that be?

Caller: The one you had a few years ago, I am calling to help you make a claim.

Me: Well, this must have been some accident because I can't remember having one.

Caller: Our information says that you were at a roundabout and someone ran into the back of you.

Me; Sorry I think you have the wrong person here. I have been driving almost 10 years now and have never had an accident at a roundabout.

Caller: This is Mr Deltic?

Me; Yes, but like I say I have never had an accident at a roundabout.

Caller: Perhaps it was at a T-junction.

Me: So which is it T-Junction or Roundabout, either way I'm not at all happy with the direction that this call is taking so I'm going to hang up, Good-bye.

Caller: But don't you want to claim.

Me: I want to claim bull-s**t on everything you are saying. Bye.

[I hang up]

It seems that this guy was a scammer fishing for victims. He had my name, but everything else was very vague. It is fair to say that since passing my driving test(s), I have had accidents, driving different vehicles, but none have occured at roundabouts.
    It occurs to me that rear end shunts at junctions, like roundabouts are probably the most common form of road accident, and so this is the go to line for the scammer to try to hook the unfortunate victim in. It makes them seem to have insider knowledge.
    Had I had a bit more time on my hands I would have probably wasted a bit more of his time, by playing along and asking him for more details, but at the time I was late for work, so maybe next time. :D

23. HMS Ark Royal

HMS Ark Royal Established Member

I once had the same caller ring me several times a day - in the end I impersonated a woman's voice and declared they had reached Randy Rocky's Brothel and can I ask what services they'd like...?

Three years - no call back

24. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

One of my sons has recently been targeted more than once by the same organisation and decided to turn the tables on the caller, by stating:-

"I am so pleased that your last call warned me that my very old "Microsoft" computer was infected by a virus, so since I was looking to buy a new one to replace it, I immediately decided to change over to an Apple iMac desktop computer and bought one from John Lewis. I really am pleased with the warning that you gave me about "Microsoft computers".

The line then went dead at the other end.

25. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I got called from someone who had all my details, given the data leak from TalkTalk (that ultimately is likely to cost the company dearly in the not too distant future) and I am convinced that this information has been sold on to others.

They had my full name, address and TalkTalk account number. I told her my account number was wrong and she got somewhat angry, and then when she continued to say I had to update my software or lose the Internet, she finished by swearing and saying I'd be cut off that night. I thanked her and she cut me off.

Sadly, it's likely more and more cold callers are going to obtain personal details from various hacks. It can make them sound far more convincing and I'm sure some people who might think they're fully aware of these phishing scams will fall for someone who appears to know everything.

The only real solution is to treat everyone with distrust, and always be aware of giving out any additional personal information that could fill in the remaining blanks they have.

In the 80s and 90s, it was possible to get phone calling card numbers with ease from Americans who had them to make calls home from abroad, or to make cheaper calls long distance. The main carriers issued them free to everyone, to try and encourage them to use them.

The security was crazy. It was a long number with the PIN printed on the card.

The scam was simple. You called the person and claimed to be from the phone company and being worried about unauthorised usage. As a security check, you needed the last four digits of the card. People would willingly give this because, well, it's only four digits.

Problem is the remaining digits was their phone number. You knew the number as you'd just called it. Bingo - free international phone calls!

I think it's probably safe to reveal this one now, given I doubt such cards still exist.. but phishing has been around for a LONG time and there will always be a new variation coming...

26. swj99

swj99 Member

I always do. I had an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from one of the credit card companies, which I actually had a card with at the time. He knew my name, but when he started asking security questions, I refused to answer, on the basis that he'd instigated the call. I suggested to him that if it was important, he should write to me. He said he was unable to do that, so I said that's a shame, and terminated the call. The trouble is, there are a lot of extremely trusting people out there, and that's who they're targeting. A great many elderly people are vulnerable and tend to accept what they're told, without wondering if it might be a scam. Gone are the days when a person could be relied upon to be who they say they are. Society, and technology needs to catch up somehow, and weed out these scammers.

I think one of the biggest security holes is with cardholder not present transactions. I remember hearing about a case a few years ago where a garage proprietor made a note of the credit and debit card details of customers who paid over the phone using their cards. One day, just before he did a runner due to some other debts he'd fraudulently run up, he took more payments from the cards, then cleared out the business account the money went into. As well as this, he left his employees in the lurch with their wages outstanding. I don't know how situations like that one can be avoided, but it's certainly one thing that the banking industry needs to address.

I suppose one of the problems is that we as a society have been told time and time again that electronic money transactions are safe, when the reality is sometimes very different, and as yet, the security hasn't quite caught up with the technology.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jul 2016
  27. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I do wonder if apps like Team Viewer should have a pop up window (with a time delay and requirement to read the text) the first time it's installed to warn people that it might be used fraudulently (i.e. when you've been told over the phone to install it to give 'Microsoft' access).

TeamViewer and developers of similar apps must know what's going on, but this is increasingly becoming a good way to scam people, as well as installing malware that can have longer term effects.

We know the authorities are useless at dealing with these crimes, and that's one reason I think we can see that crime figures are going down - because many criminals have moved on from mugging people, breaking into properties and so on. They're now able to commit their crimes without much chance of being caught.

The police do warn people to be aware, but once you're scammed what happens? In most cases, nothing and people are effectively told that it's their fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.