• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FRED (Flashing Rear End Device)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

Used to confirm a train remains complete, the device - also referred to as ETD (End of Train Device) - introduced at the beginning of the 1970's with considerable opposition from train crews as each device replaced two crew members.
My question refers to the "Smart" version which also sends information to the engineer at the front by radio based telemetry who receives it on his HTD (Head of Train Device) popularly known as a WILMA. The information includes brake line pressure and motion sensor readings.
Is the "Smart" version in use in the UK or do you rely solely on the basic "dumb" version?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bronzeonion

Afaik trains in the UK don't use either, the only thing on the back of a train to show it is the last vehicle is a red tail lamp

Waldgrun

It was only in the mid to late 1980's that battery powered red flashing tail lamps where introduced by British Rail, these where avast improvement over the old Paraffin (Kerosene) lamps that went before. As far as I know there has been no improvements since!!! Now used mainly on freight trains, as most loco hauled stock now use Driving Van Trailers (control cars) fitted with rear lights!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With British trains being much shorter than those in North America, there is no real need for the driver to know about the brake pressure or the motion of the train at the far end. So these aren't used although I think I read something on another forum about one being tried in the 1980s when the advent of the class 59 locomotive meant longer trains became possible.

A tail lamp has always been essential in the UK, and as stated this is now either built into the end cars of multiple units or a flashing version hung on freight trains. The traditional absolute block signalling relies on the signalman seeing it to confirm that the whole train has passed by before accepting another train. This system is still in use on a few routes.

Established Member
It was only in the mid to late 1980's that battery powered red flashing tail lamps where introduced by British Rail, these where avast improvement over the old Paraffin (Kerosene) lamps that went before.
When I started on the railway in the mid 1980s the tank trains conveying aviation fuel to Langley (Berks) had battery tail lamps but they didn't flash. The flashing version came towards the end of the 1980s and I'll never forget a former colleague telling me about the first time he saw one so, not sure if it was meant to be showing a steady light or it was about to fail, sent the "train passed without tail lamp" signal to the next signal box in advance! In those days you only found out about new things like that by reading the weekly notices no faxes, e-mails or briefings back then.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that most countries in mainland Europe do not use a light on the rear of freight trains but a pair of red / white reflective "tail pieces", one over each buffer. In France they use two non flashing battery operated red lights in the same positions and these can sometimes be seen on through trains to the UK (they are allowed to run with these lights overe here)

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
A flashing rear light is definitely the norm for freight trains here in Australia, with the extremely long lines of sight available in many places it provides a useful way to distinguish tail lights from signals.

Established Member
Fred and Wilma. Love that. Imagine the phone call to control when something goes wrong. :)

Established Member
Everytime you appear there is t rubble.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the sleeper stock has tail lamps built in to the carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.