• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free Child on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex27

Hi everybody, later in the year (covid permitting :lol: ) I'm hoping to go on the Caledonian sleeper up to Fort William with my younger brother (14). I read in the rstl info pdf that children can travel free with an adult (I'll be using my priv). I'm assuming that it won't be an issue, but as I believe under 18s are considered children in Scotland as opposed to under 16s in England, I wanted to check if I would be considered an adult (I'm 17) and thus my brother would be able to travel free with me?

On another note, I will be doing a little travelling on scotrail whilst I'm up there, will I be able to purchase child priv rate tickets, or should I be buying adult priv tickets? It only occurred to me whilst planning my trip that child ages are different in Scotland:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi everybody, later in the year (covid permitting :lol: ) I'm hoping to go on the Caledonian sleeper up to Fort William with my younger brother (14). I read in the rstl info pdf that children can travel free with an adult (I'll be using my priv). I'm assuming that it won't be an issue, but as I believe under 18s are considered children in Scotland as opposed to under 16s in England, I wanted to check if I would be considered an adult (I'm 17) and thus my brother would be able to travel free with me?
There doesn't appear to be a problem with this. The applicable fares would be the Classic Solo + Child Fares which attract a Priv discount. It may be appropriate to buy these through Caledonian Sleepers directly as stations other than those served by the sleepers may struggle with knowledge around the products and booking arrangements.
On another note, I will be doing a little travelling on scotrail whilst I'm up there, will I be able to purchase child priv rate tickets, or should I be buying adult priv tickets? It only occurred to me whilst planning my trip that child ages are different in Scotland:lol:
On the railways, 16 and over is an adult, so you will be paying the adult rates. Even in Scotland.

Last edited:

Alex27

There doesn't appear to be a problem with this. The applicable fares would be the Classic Solo + Child Fares which attract a Priv discount. It may be appropriate to buy these through Caledonian Sleepers directly as stations other than those d=served by the sleepers may struggle with knowledge around the products and booking arrangements.

On the railways, 16 and over is an adult, so you will be paying the adult rates. Even in Scotland.
Thank you :D not sure why had it in my head that it was different in scotland:rolleyes:

alistairlees

Established Member
Yes, just call up the Guest Service Centre at Cal Sleeper and they will book this for you.

Alex27

No, they will email your ticket to you. Your priv card will be checked on the train.
Just tried calling and they said I needed to go to the ticket office for priv, maybe its changed? I also forgot to mention that my brother does not have priv (I am the only one who does), so the lady said the free child does not apply unfortunately :'(:lol:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Just tried calling and they said I needed to go to the ticket office for priv, maybe its changed? I also forgot to mention that my brother does not have priv (I am the only one who does), so the lady said the free child does not apply unfortunately :'(:lol:
Oh dear. That really doesn’t auger well. Your brother is a ‘free’ child so I can’t see how Priv would be relevant.

Just to confirm one thing - you do intend to book sleeper berths and not seats, don’t you? Priv discounts only apply to berth inclusive fares with no discount permitted in the seats.

Alex27

Oh dear. That really doesn’t auger well. Your brother is a ‘free’ child so I can’t see how Priv would be relevant.

Just to confirm one thing - you do intend to book sleeper berths and not seats, don’t you? Priv discounts only apply to berth inclusive fares with no discount permitted in the seats.
Yes I'm after berths. I was slightly confused by what the lady said, it sounded like she was referring to only under 5s being free, but rstl definitely just says 'children'

alistairlees

Established Member
Apologies, you will indeed need to go to the ticket office for this one.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Children who share a berth with the adult are carried free of charge - and as long as they are under five.

Children who require their own berth are required to hold an appropriate child ticket.

Priv tickets are quota controlled and can ONLY be booked at a booking office able to do seat reservations. Priv tickets are ONLY available in the berths & not the seats.

NB it's been a few years since I worked the sleeper so I might not be au fait with any recent changes or offers.

"Travelling with children on Caledonian

When travelling with children, you may obtain 75% discount off the public
fare inclusive of travel and room accommodation on presentation of a Rail Staff Leisure Card.

You need to request a ‘Solo Room with free child’ ticket and the child
effectively travels for free.
Reduced fares are subject to availability and can be purchased in advance
from a National Rail station.
If there are more children travelling than adults with rail staff travel
facilities, then an additional room will have to be purchased at the 75%
discount adult rate."

I see that this is a "new" development, for me at least, so it looks like you can take your wee brother on a jaunt.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Alex27

Children who share a berth with the adult are carried free of charge - and as long as they are under five.

Children who require their own berth are required to hold an appropriate child ticket.

Priv tickets are quota controlled and can ONLY be booked at a booking office able to do seat reservations. Priv tickets are ONLY available in the berths & not the seats.

NB it's been a few years since I worked the sleeper so I might not be au fait with any recent changes or offers.

"Travelling with children on Caledonian

When travelling with children, you may obtain 75% discount off the public
fare inclusive of travel and room accommodation on presentation of a Rail Staff Leisure Card.

You need to request a ‘Solo Room with free child’ ticket and the child
effectively travels for free.
Reduced fares are subject to availability and can be purchased in advance
from a National Rail station.
If there are more children travelling than adults with rail staff travel
facilities, then an additional room will have to be purchased at the 75%
discount adult rate."

I see that this is a "new" development, for me at least, so it looks like you can take your wee brother on a jaunt.

Enjoy.
Brilliant thanks for your help, I'll have to pop to Euston ticket office or something to book :lol:

Established Member

You can't book any CS PRIV fares over the phone. That's the issue so of course its relevant as the OP Can't book his ticket for the brother to add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.