• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free First Capital Connect tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Out of interest, how will you manage this mileage on one ticket?

Also, do they get stamped/marked if inspected, ie can you use it for two round trips between your stated start point and destinations in a day?

When I used mine, it was not marked in any way. I was simply waved through, without a proper check of the date (that was at King's Cross and Cambridge - and then Hatfield upon the return, where we didn't go back in to London and out).

Therefore, I'd guess you could use it over and over again - or at least until it was marked. However, given that would be in breach of the T&Cs then you'd have no reason to be surprised if you were subsequently given a penalty fare, or worse.

Likewise, you'd be rather stupid to risk using it on another day because of the high probability that it wasn't checked closely.

Bedpan

Established Member
I don't think that I'd want to risk doing anything like that, I was getting confused about the 350 miles on Transportphoto's post as I hadn't cottoned on to the fact that he would be doing Norwich - Ely as well. The only thing that had crossed my mind was the possibility of doing a full rounds trip Bedford - Brighton, but it doesn't look as is this is permissible on one ticket (unless of course you start the day at Bedford or Brighton) and I can't see that my wife would be keen on doing it anyway.

mtmikethom

Are the tickets transferable ? (it does not so they are not on them), as i fancy a trip to Brighton but on my own.

scotsman

Established Member
Are the tickets transferable ? (it does not so they are not on them), as i fancy a trip to Brighton but on my own.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it (I guess not, they were intended for you) but, honestly, who would be able to tell?!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the ones I got with my season ticket weren't just for me - they could be used by friends/family. It doesn't matter at all who uses them, as long as they're used properly. Indeed, I used one and my wife used the other - we travelled together.

It would be like me buying a ticket and giving it to someone else. The TOC doesn't lose! The only person who does is me. Even if I sold them on, the TOC is no worse off.

bnm

Established Member
I fully intend to pass one on. The GF wants to go Christmas shopping in Brighton.

Brucey

FCC tweeted yesterday "@haames James you can go anywhere on the FCC network. Yes you can go 5 times to Bedford ;) You can give the tickets to family & friends too"

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah, I see, the extra 100 miles is Norwich to Ely and back.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I thought I covered it by quoting how much I need to pay. :| I guess where the confusion came from is the 'just one ticket' but that just one FCC ticket ;)

TP

parkender102

Mine also arrived this week :D

I'm intending to use mine for a couple of midweek nights out visiting decent pubs in Brighton and Cambridge as I'm based in London Central working during the week.

I assume I will be OK taking a bicycle on First Capital Connect services after 19:00 in the evening?

By the way I also applied for tickets via the wife's email address (but also the same postal address) - no tickets arrived. I'd not read the T+C's before applying.

A pretty good deal really as a Cambridge to London Anytime Return is £40 so these free tickets represent £200 worth of travel!

jon0844

Veteran Member
It is a very good deal - and a good way for FCC to make use of the tickets that would otherwise be thrown away.

Obviously chucking them away would have been cheaper, so they deserve some credit for using some initiative. Mind you, they probably didn't get to give any to Joe Public as they all went to people on this forum!!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt LUL will accept it as it says not underground on the rear. I will email FCC asking for clarification and for a written response and for them to inform LUL of their validity should they be valid. :smile:
It is up to London Underground as to whether they are accepting FCC tickets, not FCC.

As it happens, the Traffic Circular pretty much every week details the ticket acceptance arrangements for FCC customers between London Terminals, therefore you should not have too much a problem, except I am not aware that FCC have performed their part of the deal however as I have not seen photographs of these tickets anywhere which suggests to me that FCC have neglected to inform London Underground about their existence.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not sure many members of FCC staff know about them either! They've obviously been in use for a while - since at least 2010.

I wonder why they didn't think to have three or four years on them, to avoid re-printing? Perhaps it was a security measure to automatically make them redundant after a time, in case of theft.

lyesbkz

It would be like me buying a ticket and giving it to someone else. The TOC doesn't lose! The only person who does is me. Even if I sold them on, the TOC is no worse off.

Apart from the revenue they would have gained from the recipient actually buying a travel ticket for their journey rather than using a free ticket.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Apart from the revenue they would have gained from the recipient actually buying a travel ticket for their journey rather than using a free ticket.

But it doesn't make any real difference to the TOC who uses the free ticket, as long as only only person does.

jon0844

Veteran Member

But if you give your ticket to someone else, you can't use it - so the TOC has lost nothing.

Now if you kept the ticket and didn't use it at all then YES, the TOC loses something. However, how many people are going to deliberately not use their ticket(s)?

Anyone keeping one as a souvenir is technically helping the TOC, but they've already accounted for it as a marketing exercise.

Last edited:

lyesbkz

However, how many people are going to deliberately not use their ticket(s)?

I'm thinking more along the lines of the people who request the tickets purely with the intent to re-sell them and make a profit.

They're already appearing all over eBay. This third one is even disguised as a 'blank CD' with the tickets thrown in for free, in an effort to avoid breaching the eBay terms about the sale of valid tickets!

And if it doesn't harm the TOC, it at least harms the other FCC customers who would have liked free tickets to use!

Simon11

Established Member
All you have to do is fill in a complaint and ebay removes these tickets. There's only been a few put on ebay but most of these have been pulled out by ebay before getting sold.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm thinking more along the lines of the people who request the tickets purely with the intent to re-sell them and make a profit.

That might be morally wrong, but how does FCC lose out? The person who buys the ticket(s) could have simply applied themselves in the first place - and given there were limited numbers, FCC would be no worse off either way. If the person who buys on eBay got the tickets in the first place, someone else wouldn't.

The simple fact is the cost to FCC is whatever the most expensive Anytime ticket could be on their route, multiplied by the number of tickets they gave out. There was a value, and FCC has no way of knowing how they'll be used. Not everyone will go from Peterborough to Brighton.

Now if there's a breach of eBay rules, then that's a different story - but not for FCC to worry about. I really doubt they give a damn, as they saw a publicity opportunity from tickets that were expiring. They seem to have got it, so job done.

Brucey

Now if there's a breach of eBay rules, then that's a different story - but not for FCC to worry about

Not only does it break ebay rules, but it is also a byelaw offence
21. Unauthorised buying or selling of tickets
(1) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall sell or buy any ticket.
(2) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall transfer or receive any unused or partly used ticket, intending that any person shall use it for travelling unless the conditions of use for the ticket specifically permit such transfer.
(3) Subject to Byelaw 21(4), no person shall knowingly use any ticket which has been obtained in breach of Byelaw 21.
(4) The sale or transfer by, or the purchase or receipt from, an authorised person in the course of his duties or from an authorised ticket machine is excepted from the provisions of Byelaw 21.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But FCC won't be bothered and wouldn't be interested in wasting time. So it's merely eBay and concerned citizens that will police this.

I can't even see that FCC will have registered the serial numbers and who received them.

themeone

Does anyone know if the return would have to be made on the same day?

For example, I'd intended to use mine from East Croydon to Gatwick as I'm going away on holiday for 10 days. I was originally going to use a second ticket from Gatwick to Croydon on my return, but now wonder if I can use the first one as a return.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Does anyone know if the return would have to be made on the same day?

For example, I'd intended to use mine from East Croydon to Gatwick as I'm going away on holiday for 10 days. I was originally going to use a second ticket from Gatwick to Croydon on my return, but now wonder if I can use the first one as a return.

You can use it up to 2.30am the following day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So where's a good place to go using these tickets? I've already been to Ely and Cambridge.

bnm

Established Member
So where's a good place to go using these tickets? I've already been to Ely and Cambridge.

King's Lynn and possibly the bus to Hunstanton or Wells-next-the-Sea?

Sevenoaks?

Sutton loop?

scotsman

Established Member
Didn't think I'd get to use these, but some free coach tickets from NX have changed all that

Bungle73

On Moderation
Just for the bash? The bus to the coast? ;)

Yeah the train ride would be nice, but I was thinking more of somewhere that was worth going in and of itself. It does look there's a few things of interest there, but at least one of the attractions that appealed to me is closed at this time of year. :(

bnm

Established Member
It really depends what your particular interests are.

My particular bag is seeking out, and where possible, walking old railway alignments.....

Status
Not open for further replies.