• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free InterRail passes - but only for those born in year 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm too old. :(

I News said:
The European Union decided last week it will give up to 30,000 18-year-olds free InterRail tickets for unlimited travel across Europe’s rail network this summer, offering them the chance to explore the continent and make friends. German MEP Manfred Weber, one of the politicians behind the scheme, told the European Parliament he wanted young people “to discover the beauty and diversity of Europe over three weeks”. Only EU citizens or those legally residing within the EU who were born in 2000 will be able to apply for tickets to travel this summer.

Under current plans, 2018 is the only year British 18-year-olds are thought to be eligible for a free pass due to the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019.

The scheme, which has been signed off until 2020, “seeks to offer all young people, regardless of their background and including young people with reduced mobility, a chance to travel abroad”. As anti-Brussels sentiment surges across the bloc, the EU hopes the populist gesture will reverse the attitude by bringing Europe’s youth closer together. EU documents add: “Their trip should be connected to a place with a specific value in terms of European cultural heritage, European sites, places of historic interest, specific social or cultural values and traditions. “The project should especially promote the opportunity towards young people with the least chance to travel.”

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...h-18-year-olds-can-get-a-free-interrail-pass/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Another waste of taxpayers' money

If it attracts young people in to using trains (which return money to the state) to get around Europe then the scheme may bring in more money for governments long term then it costs.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If it attracts young people in to using trains (which return money to the state) to get around Europe then the scheme may bring in more money for governments long term then it costs.

That may well be, I still hold the view that if they want to go off on a wee jolly they should pay for it themselves.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well, i'm 19 so i'm just a little too old though i've already forked out my £407 for 3 weeks of continental rail travel :lol:

I do however believe that this is a genuinely good idea for the reason outlined by jcollins above. The ticket isn't all you need to spend on a trip into Europe- you need reservations, hostels, food and drink, et al. An Interrail pass in combination with all of the other associated costs is out of reach for many, and this is designed to bring Europe closer to youths who simply would otherwise not do it. In the long run, this is more economically beneficial.

So, while it's all too easy to say "well they should pay for it themselves", it's quota limited, and you can't just naff off to Europe with just an Interrail ticket. You need to spend money when you're away- money that goes back into the wider European economy.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That’s so unfair... and what’s going to happen in a couple of years when I turn eighteen may I ask? I bet they won’t give me a pass...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That’s so unfair... and what’s going to happen in a couple of years when I turn eighteen may I ask? I bet they won’t give me a pass...

What about those of us that are already too old? I can't even get my Scottish Youth Discounts anymore :frown:

Flying Snail

Established Member

Well no they won't because you will no longer be an EU citizen. You can thank your xenophobic elders for that one.

pemma

Veteran Member

You'll always miss out on some things because you were born in the wrong year.

I’m not an EU citizen, I was born in Canada.

Being born in Canada doesn't automatically mean you aren't an EU citizen. In fact if you were born in Canada to British parents and have spent most of your life in Britain you might find it easier to get a British passport than a Canadian one.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Another waste of taxpayers' money

Especially if they are now able to go on a trip that they couldn't otherwise afford and spend money in various cities around Europe, including the UK. Thus boosting the economy.

The marginal cost of providing the free ticket is itself virtually zero (As the trains are running anyway).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There's still going to be a cost in there somewhere, someone's got to pay for it.

If there is a cost to "pay" the railway companies, it'll be offset by the money spent by the users of the tickets whilst on their Interrrail trip.

pemma

Veteran Member
If there is a cost to "pay" the railway companies, it'll be offset by the money spent by the users of the tickets whilst on their Interrrail trip.
I'll have to remember that one for next time I encounter revenue inspectors. ;)

That reasoning only works if you give the free tickets to those who wouldn't normally travel on the railways. Unfortunately, it makes more business sense to incentivise prospective customers than to reward loyal ones. Hence why existing customers only get offered the best deals on new phone contracts, TV packages etc. if they say they are considering moving to another provider.

Last edited by a moderator:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Being born in Canada doesn't automatically mean you aren't an EU citizen. In fact if you were born in Canada to British parents and have spent most of your life in Britain you might find it easier to get a British passport than a Canadian one.
My dad is Canadian (Canadian born too) and my mum is half Canadian (though English born). My current passport is an English one though. So was my last one. I haven’t had a Canadian passport in ages.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You'll always miss out on some things because you were born in the wrong year.

I've had an Irish passport in the past despite neither being born nor having ever visited the Emerald Isle. I'm part-Irish.

pemma

Veteran Member
My dad is Canadian (Canadian born too) and my mum is half Canadian (though English born). My current passport is an English one though. So was my last one. I haven’t had a Canadian passport in ages.

Technically you can't have an English passport - it's one for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but more importantly at present it's a passport for an EU country so if you were born in the year 2000 you would have been eligible to try and get a free InterRail Pass.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Technically you can't have an English passport - it's one for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but more importantly at present it's a passport for an EU country so if you were born in the year 2000 you would have been eligible to try and get a free InterRail Pass.
Well I don’t know whether its English or British or whatever, it’s just a normal burgundy passport. :)

pemma

Veteran Member
I've had an Irish passport in the past despite neither being born nor having ever visited the Emerald Isle. I'm part-Irish.

The Irish allow those with Irish Grandparents to get Irish Passports. Potentially that could allow millions of those living in North America to get Irish passports and get EU freedom of movement. Yet that hasn't happened but that didn't stop the scaremongering about what would happen if more of the very small Balkan countries joined the EU.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
European Union

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I believe that's how it reads.

Yeah. I’ve seen all my previous passports, the first was navy blue which I had from 2003 to 2008. And then I had another one of those which expired in 2013.

I got a maroon one about five or six years ago which expires this year, so I ordered a new one which arrived a few weeks back. That was maroon too.

But how exactly is leaving the EU going to affect people living in the UK buying InterRails?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It will have no affect.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/news/brexit-will-not-affect-interrail-pass

If you're a UK citizen, you can still travel with an Interrail Pass. This does not change as a result of the outcome of the UK referendum.

Citizens of European countries that are not members of the EU, such as Switzerland and Turkey, can also travel Europe with an Interrail Pass.

Interrail travellers from outside the UK will continue to be able to use their Interrail Pass to travel in the UK too.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeah. I’ve seen all my previous passports, the first was navy blue which I had from 2003 to 2008. And then I had another one of those which expired in 2013.

I got a maroon one about five or six years ago which expires this year, so I ordered a new one which arrived a few weeks back. That was maroon too.

But how exactly is leaving the EU going to affect people living in the UK buying InterRails?

It won't really, or at least it shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.