• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free InterRail passes - but only for those born in year 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well no they won't because you will no longer be an EU citizen. You can thank your xenophobic elders for that one.

I don't think I'm older than you and I'm certainly not a xenophobe - I do not have an irrational fear of foreigners. I also do see why people have to refer to Leavers as Xenophobes. The overwhelming majority of my friends voted Remain (only one did not), none of them called me a Xenophobe for my views and nor did I criticise their views on the subject. I hold that people are entitled to their views without being constantly ridiculed for it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'll have to remember that one for next time I encounter revenue inspectors. ;)

What a silly response.

The DfT does not back-pay train operators for each passenger that is identified as travelling without a ticket. The DfT *could* choose to do this if they wanted to (or, at least provide free tickets to certain groups), for the social and economic benefit. It's basically the same reasoning behind ENCTS (over 60s passes) in the UK.

In this case substutue "EU" in place of "DfT", and "18 year olds" in place of "over 60s". Perhaps necessary these days due to attempt to re-ingtegrate what is a very fragmented and disenfranchised Europe.

I actually suspect somebody is just a bit jealous (I speak as someone who paid to Interrail myself).

TheSeeker

This sounds like a great idea. The more people mix up, discover new places and make new friends in other countries the better. Travel really does broaden the mind. Making simple connections with other people through a scheme like this could lead to all sorts of things. Bringing ideas to study, work, settle in another country for the people who are eligible. As a tax payer (52% here in Belgium) I'm happy see it spent on imaginative, positive things like this.

Established Member
I've probably spent thousands on InterRailing over the last few years and found it to be a thoroughly rewarding experience, I agree with TheSeeker above. Sadly I was born four years too early to take advantage of this offer though!

Groningen

Established Member
I have no time to get in this further (maybe next week), but it is for 4 countries and one has to plan it now. One must be 18 years of age before July 1, 2018. Sent request to: www.youdiscover.eu. First 15.000 persons; in 3/4 months time second round. Cost: 12 million Euros. It could be raised to 100 million Euro than 200.000 persons can profit. Free ferry for persons from Cyprus.

whhistle

On Moderation
Another waste of taxpayers' money
I understand where you're coming from but being in Scotland and leeching money from England and Wales to fund free prescriptions, education and all sorts of other things instead of paying for it all youself is a waste of my taxpayers money :P

I think it's a good idea.
It's not like the uptake will be high and if it allows young people to travel and experience different places, I'm sure it will be good.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The Irish allow those with Irish Grandparents to get Irish Passports. Potentially that could allow millions of those living in North America to get Irish passports and get EU freedom of movement. Yet that hasn't happened but that didn't stop the scaremongering about what would happen if more of the very small Balkan countries joined the EU.

If your cat's grandmother went to Ireland for a holiday then that could entitle you to play for or manage the Irish national side.

superalbs

Established Member
Was in a state of shock this morning to have received this email!
36344923_629115104119840_1575954132332707840_n.jpg

An Email said:
Dear applicant,

We are happy to inform you that you are the lucky recipient of a DiscoverEU travel pass!

Our contractor will get in touch with you via email to organise the booking of your trip. Please note that the contractor will contact selected participants in the order of their preferred travel time indicated in their application forms.

If you applied as a group, this means that your whole group has been awarded the travel pass and the group leader will be contacted soon.

Regularly keep yourself up to date on the latest news around DiscoverEU and check the European Youth Portal.

Please share your experiences with other young travellers on our Facebook group as well as on Twitter, Instagram or other social media channels. Use #DiscoverEU!

Get yourself ready to explore Europe!

Have a safe journey!

Very best wishes

The DiscoverEU team

Never expected that! :o

cactustwirly

Established Member
Was in a state of shock this morning to have received this email!
36344923_629115104119840_1575954132332707840_n.jpg

Never expected that! :o

Congratulations!
I've just come back from amn Interrailing trip myself!
It's really good fun, like 1000 times better than an ALR could ever be!

If you need any help planning etc just give me a shout

superalbs

Established Member
Congratulations!
I've just come back from amn Interrailing trip myself!
It's really good fun, like 1000 times better than an ALR could ever be!

If you need any help planning etc just give me a shout
Thanks! I certainly agree Interrailing is better than ALR. I'll be sure to talk to you if I need interesting suggestions for places to go. :)

Groningen

Established Member
There is a second round for those being or becoming 18 years of age from November 29, untill December 11, 2018.

In the first round 1 in 20 in the Netherland got a free ticket, while in the UK it was 50 % (2.000 from 4.000 people).

As a reminder i put down the dutch link from Treinreiziger with a extra link to apply for the free tickets. Watch for "via deze pagina" to click.

Source: https://www.treinreiziger.nl/nieuwe-ronde-gratis-interrail-18-jarigen

Status
Not open for further replies.