1. 125Group forum donation: see here!

Free loos at MAN, LIV & LDS from next Monday

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by trainophile, 10 Dec 2018.

1. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

I was really impressed with these when I first saw them, I thought they were a great idea. Of course, as they're not suitably maintained, I believe a lot of them are now out of use.

2. Tim R-T-C

Tim R-T-C Established Member

I'm pretty sure the ones at Cardiff Queen Street were surplus from the gaol across the way. Metal toilets with no seats and big signs warning you of CCTV recording all around....

3. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

There is the big difference that some of those places aren’t in the town centre and handy for homeless people or drunks to pop in.

Shopping centres are private property with security meaning anyone dodgy will be evicted long before they get near the toilets. This doesn’t happen in railway stations.

I personally don’t mind paying 20p, it’s when you are talking 50p that it’s a bit ridiculous, also the fact you need a constant supply of loose change which is getting less likely by the year, and the change machines never work.

4. abn444

abn444 Member

Used to be an SWT/SWR station though

5. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

Personally the ones in Germany and other countries where you have to pay a €1 or so to go which you can pay on card are far better than the ones we pay for here - I don't mind paying a € in those countries as they always are big, modern, smell lovely and in excellent condition.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

FWIW, I would happily pay £1 or even more for a spotlessly clean and comfortable facility for a seated performance, but for the more frequent standing performances I would be quite happy with a semi-outside steel trough that's just hosed down once a day for £0.

The problem with this kind of differential is that it is discriminatory against those for whom, shall we say, a standing performance is impractical.

7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

The Stratford ones are pretty awful. But to be fair, that may have more to do with the size of them than the fact that they are free: A couple of urinals is completely inadequate for a station as heavily used as Stratford, and must mean that the Stratford toilets will be being used much more intensively than most station toilets - making it harder to keep them respectable.

8. MCSHF007

MCSHF007 Member

This. The charge (if any) should reflect the cost of provision regardless of any of gender sensibilities. A "seated performance" involves provision of bog roll - to my best recollection last time I procured same from Tesco it wasn't free. Happy to pay a small fee to access a well maintained cubicle if/when the need arises, very much less so for a "standing performance".

9. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

Keep the turnstiles as they are much easier to climb over than a barrier...

10. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

This is true with a lot of major stations.

Time was when they would be built with cubicles as far as the eye can see, where as now you get three or four if lucky.

I'm all for this move because I really resent paying 40p, only to have to stand and wait for one of the three cubicles to become free.