• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free OAP Transport In Hungary

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

A few years ago I travelled with my late father-in-law to Hungary, and he didn't have to pay any transport fares as he was an OAP resident in the EU. Now it's my turn to be eligible, but now I am no longer an EU citizen as unfortunately I am British and cannot claim entitlement to a passport from any other EU country!

So when I go to Budapest in June, will I have to pay? Not that Budapest transport fares are that expensive, but it could be yet another disadvantage to leaving the EU which affects ME!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
We are still OK if over 65 in Budapest during the transition period (until 31 Dec 2020).
https://bkk.hu/en/tickets-and-passes/discounts/travel-information-uk-citizens/

I would guess the same applies to MAV fares.
Personally I paid for the city day pass as it seems churlish to consume services without any payment.
But I have used the MAV discount a couple of times (paying the express/1st class supplements).
Same in CZ - although ČD do now have senior fares not linked to citizenship.

Status
Not open for further replies.