• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free railtravel in the Netherlands on March 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groningen

Established Member
Should any of you be in the Netherlands this Sunday, than you can travel for free through the country. Provided you are in possession of "het boekweekgeschenk". You get it for free if you spend at least 12,50 euro buying any kind of books.

This is your trainticket; the whole day long:
mockup-geschenk-MR-182x300.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I'm going to be in the Netherlands on Sunday, I'd like to take advantage of this. Any recommendations on what book(s) to buy? I can attempt to read Dutch, since I can read in English and German. Just would like to spend my 12,50 euros on something worth reading :lol:

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
All you have to do is to go to a book store and buy for at least € 12,50 in Dutch books. :)

Groningen

Established Member
To promote books and yes as the Dutch Railways (NS) is sponsor, it is an annual event somewhere in March on a sunday. This year 250.000 people took advantage of this opportunity.

Groningen

Established Member
Coming sunday April 2, 2017 it is once again free traintravel in the Netherlands. The IC Direct is also complete supplement free; with it ICE and totally no Thalys!.

This is the book one must have:
Makkelijk-leven-Herman-Koch.jpg

AnkleBoots

Thank you Groningen for posting this kind of offer!

Does it matter which bookseller?

In terms of getting through the barriers, was it a joke about the QR code?

And can a non-Dutch speaker expect any query from the guard about an offer which is clearly not aimed at them?

Thanks

Groningen

Established Member
Every bookseller gives it to you if you buy something for 12,50 euro or more. The QR code is on the backside. One has just to show the booklet to the guard.

dutchflyer

Established Member
ANY bookshop/except those IN stations! that are member of the DUTCH booksellers club/this excludes a very few (only in AMSterdam) that only do english books/1 of these is Waterstone )formerly WHSMith). So sorry/it should be only available for buying books in Dutch/books in english, if in stock tend to cost nearly double the UK.price, but most booksellers would be happy to give it with those too.
A same offer on a much smaller scale is in the Friesland province in early october/on ARRIVA trains only and for similar promotion of books in the local Frysian language.
There is all week very heavy advertising for this offer on radio/also look out for the many works with replacement buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.