• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free travel on Heart of Wales line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penmorfa

The above only applies to holders of Welsh travel passes until 31st March 2015. However it does throw up an interesting anomaly. Holders of Welsh travel passes can board a bus which travels into England and travel as far as the terminus. Likewise English pass holders into Wales can do likewise. So does the same rule apply to the Heart of Wales line? Anyone out there willing to give it a try? :D

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/ConcessionaryTravel/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
ATW said:
This scheme is available to all holders of a Concessionary Travel Pass issued by any Welsh Local Authority. Pass holders will be eligible for free travel on all ATW services between Swansea and Shrewsbury. This period commences from 1st October 2014 until the 31st March 2015.

Special note: Journeys may also be extended to stations highlighted in red and purple. Concessionary Travel is also permitted between stations highlighted in red and purple. Concessionary travel is not permitted within stations highlighted in red and purple.

Shrewsbury
Church Stretton
Craven Arms
Broome
Hopton Heath
Bucknell

Llangammarch
Llanwrtyd
Sugar Loaf
Llanelli
Gowerton
Swansea

They could have worded it better. I think it means you can travel as far as you want along the line, including England & Wales, but short hop journeys at either end aren't allowed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
They could have worded it better. I think it means you can travel as far as you want along the line, including England & Wales, but short hop journeys at either end aren't allowed.

That is how I understand it too.

As to the question over whether English concessionary passes are valid, I think the answer is negative as the terms are quite clear that a Welsh one is required.

Llanigraham

Established Member
I understand that the English Age Concession passes are not accepted. At one time the proposal was that only cards issued by Powys and Dyfed would be, but this was then extended to all Welsh cards.
I'm looking forward to my FREE trip both here and up the Cambrian Coast!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.