• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free travel on Severn Beach Line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

First Group giving something for free?

I can immediately tell they aren't funding this themselves!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
That's an excellent initiative to raise interest (and pax numbers, hopefull) on that line! Thanks for the info, Mojo.
Its a real miracle that it wasn't shut down and built over. One of my favorites.

But I am dissapointed about some aspects of the timetable:
- that Sunday Services only run until about 6pm,
- that it is scheduled to stop again in September (its in winter when walking or cycling up Park Road in the rain is most miserable, so it will def be the car or bus), and
- that there are still some odd times (not as bad as it was when the LAST train ran 3 mins before the "normal" clock face time! but still some at 2 mins before the "normal").

I guess the 2 mins issue has to tie in with mainline traffic through Stapleton to TM, but is there no hope of Sunday services in winter or anything after 6pm in summer?

(and while I'm on, for curiosity only, what's the speed limit in the Clifton Down tunnel?)

mrcheek

Established Member
That's an excellent initiative to raise interest (and pax numbers, hopefull) on that line! Thanks for the info, Mojo.
Its a real miracle that it wasn't shut down and built over. One of my favorites.

But I am dissapointed about some aspects of the timetable:
- that Sunday Services only run until about 6pm,
- that it is scheduled to stop again in September (its in winter when walking or cycling up Park Road in the rain is most miserable, so it will def be the car or bus), and
- that there are still some odd times (not as bad as it was when the LAST train ran 3 mins before the "normal" clock face time! but still some at 2 mins before the "normal").

I guess the 2 mins issue has to tie in with mainline traffic through Stapleton to TM, but is there no hope of Sunday services in winter or anything after 6pm in summer?

(and while I'm on, for curiosity only, what's the speed limit in the Clifton Down tunnel?)

typical Geordie, they give him something for free, and he complains....

BTW, I must also ask "Where's your Messiah now?"

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Sorry mrcheek, but I don't understand your reply. Messiah?

I didn't think I was complaining, either. My post stated that its one of my favourite lines and welcomed the offer! In case I didn't make it clear: THE SBR IS GREAT!

I think my timetable questions are reasonable, too. If I had complained, it would be about the state of some of the stations and their facilities incl. signage and the maintenance of its Pacers or about the threat to terminate services at Avonmouth. But I would much much rather see the line operate as it is with the support of the City and the "Friends of SBR" than not at all. (PS I'm not a Geordie)

Z12XE

Its an excellent idea, and hope the trial goes well for Sunday services,

I'm quite impressed with the prices anyway, flat fare of £3 to do the entire line (13 miles) is excellent, over here on NXEA you pay that to go 1 stop or a couple of miles........

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I checked today, and the free trains are being paid for by FGW.

The new timetable is odd, you're right. Exactly why the trains that don't stop at Lawrence Hill take as long as those which don't, and why some trains leave at xx15 and others leave xx16 but take the same time to get to Clifton is unknown!

We had written confirmation from FGW that the summer service ending in Sept. was incorrect, but I'm not so sure.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
If you get a chance to ask anyone who knows the answers to the timetabling anomalies it would be great if you could keep us posted. Thanks again.
From a marketing point of view, the free Sunday travel offer next month does seem mis-judged if that new Sunday service will cease in 3 months!

And once we've sorted the SBR can we start on the Portishead line and then the Avonmouth - Filton loop? (tee hee!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've had it from Cllr Mark Bradshaw & Keith Walton that the Sunday service *will* continue after Sept, but the plans have not been finalised.

Was great to see so many people using the Sunday trains and attending the launch this morning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Saw this offer last week, but got no real reason to go on it.

Good news about the Sunday trains after September.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd rather go on a Saturday and pay £2 with a railcard for a return to Severn Beach TBH.

I've hundreds of these vouchers & line guide leaflets which I collected today from Temple Meads and having trouble getting rid of them!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most of us are fuming because half of the trains yesterday were cancelled! Some publicity!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have it on good authority that an investigation is underway at FGW.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Special Offer with Bristol Zoo Gardens
Bristol Zoo Gardens and First Great Western have teamed up to offer customers a great deal on entry to the Zoo.

You can get to the Zoo by travelling on the Severn Beach Line to Clifton Down Station, and then it is a sign-posted walk to the Zoo. Bristol Zoo Gardens are offering one free child (aged 3 -14 years old) entry with a full paying adult on production of a valid train travel ticket to Clifton Down station. The offer is valid on the following Sundays only - 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th June 2008.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=86

Chris B

I have it on good authority that an investigation is underway at FGW.

Just got this from FGW....

"Unfortunately, a number of our services on the Severn Beach line had to be cancelled due to a train fault, which in turn displaced train staff last Sunday (June 8th).

"As we were offering customers free travel on these services, we are happy to repeat the offer this Sunday.

"We want to offer sincere apologies to any customers affected by the unforeseen circumstances which affected the service last week.."

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if Bristol City will make a profit out this contract because of the penalty clauses thanks to all the cancellations lately :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just had feedback with regards to why there were so many cancellations and delays on Sunday. I can't say much, but some traincrew are going to be in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.