• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free Travel to Heathrow Airport on 423 Bus from Premier Inn Bath Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is it true that you don't have to pay on this service for the above journey ?

If so what are the mechanics - ie do you just get on or do you have to ask for a ticket tap a card etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it true that you don't have to pay on this service for the above journey ?

If so what are the mechanics - ie do you just get on or do you have to ask for a ticket tap a card etc?

If you are getting on a bus within the free travel zone and it is heading towards the airport just board - you do not need to say anything to the driver or tap any card (you will be charged if you tap your card).

If you are getting on a bus within the free travel zone and it is heading away from the airport you will need to state to the driver your destination if alighting before the end of the free travel zone. Do not tap your card if this is the case as you will be charged.

route101

Established Member
Don't make the mistake that i did , I took bus to wrong premier inn as there is 2 on bath road.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The Premier Inn (LHR Bath Road) is outside the Free Travel Zone by one stop, so you’d have to walk to/from Harlington Corner. It’s at the Nobel Drive stop shown on the this map

Or if you want a map with the 423 on it...

If you're heading for the T5 Premier Inn you're well within the Zone. There also used to be a 7 every 10 minutes serving the same stops at the 423 - this was rerouted to serve the stop well behind the hotel recently and along with the 8 only operates a few early and late journeys.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for the tips.

Fantastic service on the 423 with the bus stop literally outside the front door of the Premier Inn (on both sides)

Not often you get something for nothing in London !!!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Indeed it is true, the bus is simply free to board - if asked, tell the driver where you’re headed and you’ll be allowed to board without charge. The Heathrow Free Travel Zone (https://www.heathrow.com/content/da.../airport-maps/free-travel-around-Heathrow.pdf) is commonly known and iBus announcements are made when routes leave the zone.

NB - be very wary of the bus routes shown on this Heathrow Map; use the TfL one also referenced above. On the former, the route 7 and route N7 are not the TfL routes with those numbers (which are nowhere in the area) - the 7 is another operator's bus heading out of London; I'm not sure that an N7 exists at the airport at all! Furthermore, at least one TfL route is missing from the Heathrow map - the rather useful N9.

Snow1964

Established Member
NB - be very wary of the bus routes shown on this Heathrow Map; use the TfL one also referenced above. On the former, the route 7 and route N7 are not the TfL routes with those numbers (which are nowhere in the area) - the 7 is another operator's bus heading out of London; I'm not sure that an N7 exists at the airport at all! Furthermore, at least one TfL route is missing from the Heathrow map - the rather useful N9.

That map also pre dates the split of 140 into 140 and express X140
The X26 (another Express route) can’t be used.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Regarding "something for nothing", isn't the reason for it because you can't walk to the terminals so they have to do something?
Yes, there really is no such thing as a free lunch, for the majority of us anyway. Others are born with free lunches already in their mouth, of course. :)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Yes, there really is no such thing as a free lunch, for the majority of us anyway. Others are born with free lunches already in their mouth, of course. :)

Is it really true that you can't walk from - eg - Bath Road into the airport (via walkways along the tunnels) to get to the Central Area terminals (T2/T3)? Although it's a long time ago now, I have in the past both walked and cycled from outside the airport to the terminals. It would be weird if human-powered travel wasn't allowed to a place which is "public" in so many ways, even though privately owned.

The reason why the airport operator pays TfL to carry people in and around the airport for free is that they have been forced to cut down on traffic to and from the airport.

duncombec

On the former, the route 7 and route N7 are not the TfL routes with those numbers (which are nowhere in the area) - the 7 is another operator's bus heading out of London; I'm not sure that an N7 exists at the airport at all! Furthermore, at least one TfL route is missing from the Heathrow map - the rather useful N9.

If you were a visitor to Heathrow needing to change terminals, though, would you know about the "other" route 7? It is a map for the free travel routes, so I'm not quite sure how the "other" 7 is even relevant.

There certainly was an N7 at the airport, the daytime equivalent of said First Berkshire Route: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wltmauc/40135925341 (not my picture)

I'd also presume the N9 wasn't included because free travel wasn't valid on it.

In any case, a revised map dated January 2020 is here: https://www.heathrow.com/content/da...row/public-transport/Free-Travel-Zone-Map.pdf

Edit: We had a discussion on the HFTZ in February: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/heathrow-free-travel-zone-validity.199896/

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it really true that you can't walk from - eg - Bath Road into the airport (via walkways along the tunnels) to get to the Central Area terminals (T2/T3)? Although it's a long time ago now, I have in the past both walked and cycled from outside the airport to the terminals. It would be weird if human-powered travel wasn't allowed to a place which is "public" in so many ways, even though privately owned.
They were definitely built as cycle and pedestrian, but were changed to car and taxi, getting on for 20 years ago now. The main and small tunnels are all marked with the normal Highway Code “no pedestrian” signs.

edited:
Found a staff cycling policy brochure that states explicitly bikes are not allowed through the tunnels to the central area, staff have to use a cycle hub on the northern perimeter road, then bus onwards. I assume the public would be similarly barred from the tunnels.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it really true that you can't walk from - eg - Bath Road into the airport (via walkways along the tunnels) to get to the Central Area terminals (T2/T3)?

Yes, because the tunnels have been repurposed for motor traffic, taking into account that most people don't want to walk to the airport.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Thanks for the tips.

Fantastic service on the 423 with the bus stop literally outside the front door of the Premier Inn (on both sides)

Not often you get something for nothing in London !!!

Quite so, but TfL bus fares must be about the cheapest in the country.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If you were a visitor to Heathrow needing to change terminals, though, would you know about the "other" route 7? It is a map for the free travel routes, so I'm not quite sure how the "other" 7 is even relevant.

There certainly was an N7 at the airport, the daytime equivalent of said First Berkshire Route: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wltmauc/40135925341 (not my picture)

I'd also presume the N9 wasn't included because free travel wasn't valid on it.

In any case, a revised map dated January 2020 is here: https://www.heathrow.com/content/da...row/public-transport/Free-Travel-Zone-Map.pdf

Edit: We had a discussion on the HFTZ in February: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/heathrow-free-travel-zone-validity.199896/

Thanks for the revised Heathrow map - that's better! The N9 is indeed included on that ... in fact if the N9 was excluded from the free system, there'd be a dearth of links between T5 and T2/T3 in the middle of the night.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

The reason why the airport operator pays TfL to carry people in and around the airport for free is that they have been forced to cut down on traffic to and from the airport.

Yes. In 2001 my girlfriend had a job interview in Slough. We made a trip out of it with a day in London and stayed at one of the Hotels to the north of the airport. On our first evening we tried to walk into the airport whilst looking for somewhere to eat. Unsuccessfully. For quite a long time. It was not clear then that the bus in was free and we ended up getting a bus to Hayes and going to Pizza Hut - we thought, if we had to pay a bus fare we might as well go somewhere other than the airport. Ironically, within months I was working for London Buses.

It is physically possible to walk in, but the signs make it clear this is for emergency egress only and there are a lot of cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.