Free TV licence scrapped for (most) over 75-s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darandio, 10 Jun 2019.

1. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

I think most of us could see this coming. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the 190,000 people consulted though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

I think it is a fair decision, i pay my licence fee each year but hardly watch terrestrial TV, as most of it is streamed via Netflix,Amazon or now TV.
    As the highest users, why should the younger generation subsidise their fee.

4. mikeg

mikeg Member

Fairness is a highly subjective notion. But I think that to protect it for the poorest pensioners is not a bad thing. But on the other hand, should we be subsidising television anyway? There are far healthier, more productive methods of entertainment and information.

5. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The BBC does a lot more than television, indeed it's their non-television services I consume the most by far (radio and Web).

6. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    At least this time they have built in some for protection for the poorest viewers.

yes - if it helps combat the kind of fake news people seem very happy to consume these days.

7. bramling

bramling Established Member

On the whole I'm in favour of this. I must admit to getting rather tired of subsidising perks for old people. If they want to watch TV, pay for a license like everyone else. If they can't afford it then they should have saved.

8. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

It will be you soon. Hopefully you have saved enough.

9. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Though I wouldn't go as far to call it 'fake news', I don't feel BBC journalism goes to the level of depth it should do on many subjects...

10. bramling

bramling Established Member

If not then I'll have to manage without TV!

11. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

Can see this causing an uproar amongst the generation that has had everything free off the state, they won’t like having to pay for something.

It’s good that it is still free for the poorest pensioners though.

12. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

i don't disagree. They will always be softer on the party in power as they need to preserve the license fee but overall they are honest and straight. Can you say that for all "news" organisations?

and radio and internet based services.

13. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Typical thieving bbc. They could pay for this deficit with bcc worldwide, a division that rakes in a 10 figure sum every year.

14. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A fair compromise really here. Given the continued growth in the number of elderly people as people live longer, the country cannot continue as it is. The OAPs are going to have to shell out, and the rest of us need to save or make provision for our retirement. Personally, I think my £154 for a TV licence is money well spent - many people spend twice that amount on a mobile phone each year.

15. MidlandsChap

MidlandsChap Member

Can anybody clarify why exactly we are forced to pay for the BBC if we so much as have a television? Its like my car tax going directly to Ford.

I dont want to watch SKY. I dont pay for it and they dont provide the service to me
    I dont want to watch Amazon. I dont pay for it and they dont provide the service to me
    I dont want to watch BT sport. I dont pay for it and they dont provide the service to me

Why is the BBC different?

16. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

because the law says so.

Just to confirm you never ( never ever, ever, ever,) listen to local radio or 5 live ( not even for the football) or click on BBC sport/news on the web or watch Iplayer or use the Radio Player app?

You have never done that? ever? Sure about that.....................

17. MidlandsChap

MidlandsChap Member

I agree with most of the laws of this country, because in general they are there to govern the way we live and protect us. Paying £150 odd to one broadcaster above all others doesnt make any sense to me.

No I dont listen to the radio, BBC or otherwise
    Yes I use the BBC website now and again, purely for checking football scores, but I dont need a TV license to do that.
    If I could opt out of paying £150 to the beeb conditional on me not using their website, I would take that in an instant.

The fact of the matter is the law isnt fit for purpose anymore.

18. mikeg

mikeg Member

I don't think this thread should become a debate about the BBC and the licence fee in general, but there are many things we have to pay for and don't use because they are good for society as a whole. I might have argued that the television subsidy was good. But I think nowadays the website and the radio are still the BBC's great assets to us as a society, whether you personally use them or not. The question is then is the licence fee the right way to approach it?

19. GB

GB Established Member

Yes it is the law, but that law in this digital world is out dated....there is no reason why (other than the BBC will lose revenue) the BBC services cannot be made subscriptions...and yes I have watched the odd program or two purely through virtue of it being on and having a license. I would be entirely happy to not watch any BBC content if it means no TV license.

20. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

It could just be paid for out of general taxation. The original reason for a licence fee was to ensure independence from government, but given that government sets the licence fee, is that argument relevant anymore?

21. Darandio

It's just a completely outdated concept. The payment scheme is in the dark ages and not in touch with the modern world. And if you don't require a TV licence they automatically assume you are (and treat you like) a criminal.

People mention things like the BBC website, the licence fee should not be subsidising it. They are quite happy to use discreet advertising on their international web services, use it here too.

22. Bletchleyite

I think there is an argument for some basic BBC services to be funded from general taxation, such as national and local radio. They produce a quality of programming that trounces the majority of the appalling commercial operations. Probably also the BBC News website itself (but not the other ones).

Another option might however be to regulate commercial broadcast radio more tightly in terms of local content they broadcast.

BBC TV and the iPlayer could certainly be subscription services. The website...I like the lack of adverts, but like with mobile apps one could be offered the option to pay to remove the ads?

23. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

Perhaps they could do what Germany have done and make a TV licence compulsory for all properties?

24. Darandio

There would be opposition either way. In terms of advertising, viewing an overseas version of the BBC isn't that bad, the advertising isn't intrusive.

25. Darandio

They could. I still fail to see why someone should be forced to pay for a service they don't use.

26. Red Onion

Red Onion Member

But why? My source of visual entertainment comes from my extensive DVD collection, various subscription streaming services, YouTube and a PS4 subscription. I haven’t watched live television in years except the odd sporting event in the pub for which the pub pays a licence and I help fund this by the purchase of beer. Why should I pay for something I wouldn’t use? It’s a bit like adding road tax to bus passes, I drive and pay for it. I don’t expect a bus passenger to pay road tax for me.

But that’s going off topic. Personally I’m not the greatest fan of scrapping the free licence for the elderly as for some it’s the only thing they have, but our populace is getting older and something has to give unfortunately.

27. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

well, that's what has happened in germany for a few years

28. Bletchleyite

You pay for plenty of public services you don't use.

29. Bletchleyite

What has to give is to end the obsession of cutting the headline income tax rate and instead agree a set of services we actually want as a country then set the tax rate to properly fund them.

30. Darandio

Through general taxation? Then fine, scrap the licence fee and bung it in with everything else.

31. Butts

Butts Established Member

Apart from the poorest Pensioners they should also knock the Bus Passes and Winter Fuel Allowance on the head to while they are at it.

A lot of current and upcoming OAP's are far wealthier than a lot of younger workers today and could easily afford to do without these perks.