• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free TV licence scrapped for (most) over 75-s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robin Edwards

Johnson's comment about the continuation of universal free TV licences for the over 75s funded by the BBC after 2020 will be well received by that particular age group.
I am sure you're correct on that point.
I am still not comfortable that relatively well-off folk over 75 should expect entitlement when they themselves often remark disparagingly when younger & poorer people receive benefits. I assume you can afford £13pcm but I perceive you are feeling happy that your entitlement may continue?

Let me give you a more personal example of the point I'm making. A relative of mine in late 70s has been complaining for some time in now having to pay £13pcm for a TV licence, a concession granted from a previous Labour government and threatened to be taken away from current Conservative government that she insists on voting for. She has a very 'healthy' cash balance in life savings that she doesn't intend to spend. She doesn't believe that any foreign or non-white people making UK their home should receive a penny of public money that she doesn't exactly contribute towards. I am sure that this situation is commonplace amongst many older people.

I have always been an advocate for fairness and welfare state should be there for those that can least afford. The BBC is publicly funded but I guess if they sacked a few well paid celebrities from their jobs as pundits and presenters, I guess some would say that will pay for a few more wealthy people to protect their savings further.

sprunt

You have fallen into your own trap here. Just because you make a supposition that refers to the opposite side of a comparison, you were unable to furnish the actual source of the Prime Minister specifically making reference to rich pensioners, which is the reason why I asked for a source to be provided that such a named statement could be verified.

He doesn't have to make a specific reference to rich pensioners. If he believes all pensioners should receive the benefit at the BBC's expense, which he appears to, then that includes the rich ones. you might want to look up "all" in a dictionary if you're having a problem with this concept.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
About the time when the prime minister said that rich pensioners should get free TV licences. If that's the case, then the Government should be funding it.

This was the exact quotation to which I referred to and the one that sprunt has convinced himself the word "all" appeared in, which it does not.

I really do wish that some forum members would take both time and care to read postings before casting fallacious comments around and show themselves in a very poor light as a result.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My dislike with this system is that it takes from the poorest, all pay the same amount, and uses it to pay ludicrous salaries to an obscene number of people within the BBC. If these poor people don't have a licence they may end up in a Magistrates court and some end up in prison for not paying the huge fines.

I completely agree, spending my life working with people having bailiffs threatening to kick down their door for non-payment I'd abolish the TV Licence tomorrow and make it a subscription service.

But the baby boomers aren't arguing against the idea of the TV Licence. Generation Parasite- the proud inventors of MeMeMe Thatcherism- just think everyone else should pay for their freebies.

Status
Not open for further replies.