• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of England , Rover ? Where is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen Mill

Scotland have their Freedom of Scotland Travelpass @ a standard £129 for 4 in 8 days (£32 / day).
Wales have their Explore Wales pass @ £89 for 4 in 8 days (£23 / day) so where is the "Freedom of England pass ?".
It seems the best we can can get is an ALR at £450 for 7 consecutive days (£64 / day). I know that the ALR is more flexible in terms of timings but is really only economical for serious mileage bashers.

It seems that we English take discrimination with a pinch of salt !

What I would like to see is a similar 4 from 8 for England priced at around £40/£45 per day with filters into Wales & Scotland such as they are allowed border crossings eg: Chester/Carlisle .

Who organises these rover/ranger tickets ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would hardly say it's discrimination given how much more comprehensive, larger, busier and more important the rail network in England is!

Pen Mill

I would hardly say it's discrimination given how much more comprehensive, larger, busier and more important the rail network in England is!

This came about because I was mapping out an ALR, looking at touring "extremities" .
It dawned on me when I'd routed upto Wick and down to Stranraer that ALR is a total waste of money once you cross the border into Scotland because fares appear to be heavily subsidised.
So take out Scotland and take out Wales from the ALR , I'm still committed to a straight 7 days travel which I don't particularly want

I call it discrimination because I don't have access to a flexible 4 from 8 at a competitive price such as our apparently heavily subsidised UK friends do.

Aictos

Established Member
I be happy with TOC only rovers valid on specific TOCs but allowing off peak travel with them so you could get a South West Trains only Rover which would be valid across the entire SWT network and would be sold as daily, 3 days, weekly or monthly.

Pen Mill

Going back to my original plot of ALR7 , the least I ought to expect (and it's too dear with a 9:L15 start restriction !)
is :-
England 4 from 8 @ £64/Day (Pro-rata ALR)
and Scotland £129 for 4 from 8
Total is £385 compared to £450 pure ALR.
an extra day to boot !

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think due to the lack of ticket inspections in some areas (mainly the South East), any Rovers are likely to be issued for consecutive days, for example both the Kent Rover and the Thames Rover are issued for 3 days (and a 7 days option available for Thames).

In comparison East Midlands, Fdm South West, etc. all have x in x days options.

Pen Mill

I think due to the lack of ticket inspections in some areas (mainly the South East), any Rovers are likely to be issued for consecutive days, for example both the Kent Rover and the Thames Rover are issued for 3 days (and a 7 days option available for Thames).

In comparison East Midlands, Fdm South West, etc. all have x in x days options.
on the other hand Southern can offer a very attractive £12 off-peak day save with as I understand it access almost to the heart of the city at LBG & VIC .

flymo

Established Member
Interestingly enough (well I find it interesting anyway) is that there is a 'Freedom of England' Britrail pass, currently around €200 for 8 consecutive days in standard and €300 in first class. Consecutive validity for 3, 4, 8, 15, 22 days and 1 month is available

Not that this is of any use to the OP however, just saying these tickets are available but just not to UK residents. Strange, I actually think a Freedom of England rover would be a good idea.

Pen Mill

Interestingly enough (well I find it interesting anyway) is that there is a 'Freedom of England' Britrail pass, currently around €200 for 8 consecutive days in standard and €300 in first class. Consecutive validity for 3, 4, 8, 15, 22 days and 1 month is available

Not that this is of any use to the OP however, just saying these tickets are available but just not to UK residents. Strange, I actually think a Freedom of England rover would be a good idea.
I was actuaslly a resident of France until November 2010 , ahem !:p

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I was actuaslly a resident of France until November 2010 , ahem !:p

I guess you will be shouting discrimination again soon as these vastly discounted prices are not available to residents of this country. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.