• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of the Southwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Looking for some advise/ recommendations for doing a freedom of the southwest 3 in 7.
Looking at my work schedule it is most likely to be August or October I can do it.
I want to cover as much of the permitted network as possible in 3 consecutive days, with some cheap B&B/Travelodge style accommodation on the 2 nights.

Am I right in thinking it has a 9am restriction?

Day 1 will be starting on the 0914 from Redruth.

Can any one recommend best strategies to get the most lines covered - Is it best to head for the most North-western or eastern points first and work back towards the others?

How is best to get the most from this ticket?

I'm in early planning- I wanted to do an ALR but its outside of my budget for this year, so making the best I can within budget. I appreciate the timetable may change between now and then, but if I have a draft plan to work with and finalise nearer the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busterfridge

I did the 3 in 7 last year based in lostwithiel, some ticket info here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr0f61f9c35ce741009c0e3842403e09.aspx on day 1 I covered the newquay branch, Falmouth branch, st ives branch and penzance,
day 2 got me to looe, gunnislake and to totnes
day 3 took me to Exeter, torquay and gunnislake again.

I worked from lostwithiel but if I did it again I would base myself in Exeter Bristol or the westbury area, as for accomadation you could start in redruth then use the internet to hunt down cheap B & B's near to the stations you finish each day at
Hope this helps

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks. I've knocked together a very loose draft. It may need amendments when May to December timetables come out.

Attachments

• FOSW draft.pdf
    124.9 KB · Views: 22

Busterfridge

That looks a good itinerary covering lots of ground and plenty of places, the only advice i'll offer is make sure you utilise your down time and get plenty of sleep especially if you are doing this on successive days, it does take it out of you and you'll get tired, also make sure you have a back up plan in case you miss a connection, the last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting out of it !! some of the lines you have selected are excellent for scenery so don't forget your camera !!

Status
Not open for further replies.