• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

freedom pass on GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

naarfolkboy

hi. I have just got the over 66 Freedom Pass and reading the accompanying leaflet it states that the pass can be used to travel for free on GWR after 9.30. This seemed too good to be true so I spent a happy half hour chatting to someone @ GWR who was unable to confirm it.
I was wondering if there is anywhere that reliable information can be found on using Freedom Passes on National Rail sevices. I realise that it's generally used on buses but would be interested to find out the rail limitations.
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
hi. I have just got the over 66 Freedom Pass and reading the accompanying leaflet it states that the pass can be used to travel for free on GWR after 9.30. This seemed too good to be true so I spent a happy half hour chatting to someone @ GWR who was unable to confirm it.
I was wondering if there is anywhere that reliable information can be found on using Freedom Passes on National Rail sevices. I realise that it's generally used on buses but would be interested to find out the rail limitations.
Thanks!
You can take a look here:

There's also a map in the page, where Freedom Pass is valid.
Mind you, this is mostly within London zone 1-6, with some exceptions (of additional coverage). Also, all TfL services are included in the Freedom Pass scheme.

Smethwickian

Thanks!
The Transport for London website is the obvious place to look, starting at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/freedom-pass

naarfolkboy

thank you for the speedy response! All the info states free travel on GWR after 9.30. Was just wondering if that is actually true. Can I really travel from London to Bath for free for example. It seems very generous

Thank u Smethwick person. I have looked at all of the official sites. That's why I'm asking here.

Darandio

Established Member

Smethwickian

why does it state free travel on GWR after 9.30.?
Because GWR is one of the train operating companies providing local services within the Greater London zones covered by the Freedom Pass. The TfL website page I mentioned above gives a link to a clear map showing how far you can travel.

father_jack

To travel from London Paddington to Bath would mean buying an appropriate paper ticket from West Drayton (routed NOT VIA LONDON) , you could however board an express from London Paddington that doesn't call at Reading. Using a Super Off Peak single as an example it would save you £1.70.

You could use the Freedom Pass from London to Reading on the TfL Elizabeth Line/Crossrail stopping service free of charge and then change for a GWR express to Bath if you were feeling very frugal and had plenty time on your hands.

Alex27

As others have pretty much said above, I believe the freedom pass is valid on GWR (stopping) services between Paddington and West Drayton, but only TfL Rail to Reading (I'm not 100% sure though)

JBuchananGB

To travel from London Paddington to Bath would mean buying an appropriate paper ticket from West Drayton (routed NOT VIA LONDON) , you could however board an express from London Paddington that doesn't call at Reading. Using a Super Off Peak single as an example it would save you £1.70.
Of course if starting somewhere else in the Freedom Pass area there are bigger savings to be made. From Romford to Bath for example would be £33 cheaper combining a Freedom Pass with a Super Off-Peak Single from West Drayton than using a Super Off-Peak single all the way from Romford.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Only within zone 1-6 can you travel for free on GwR services. You can take the tfl rail to reading if you wish on your freedom pass and buy a ticket from reading to bath. For use for onward travel. But it is often cheaper buying an advanced ticket with an origin point of a smaller station anyway.

father_jack

Of course if starting somewhere else in the Freedom Pass area there are bigger savings to be made. From Romford to Bath for example would be £33 cheaper combining a Freedom Pass with a Super Off-Peak Single from West Drayton than using a Super Off-Peak single all the way from Romford.
That's a known anomaly in the Super Off Peak single to or from London suburban stations, it goes back to when a single was £1 less than the corresponding off peak or super off peak return. Paddington became half the return and has settled at about 60% of it but the job was never finished properly so old £1 difference thing remains to other locations. It's been reported at numerous fares rounds. The advance fares work correctly though which you can now buy "on the day". Other thing that happens is some clerks sell you to Paddington and tell you to use a contactless or oyster the rest of the way.

JBuchananGB

I get it. So if our hypothetical Freedom Pass holder travelling from Romford to Bath was returning on the same day, he would save £6.90 by comparison of the Super Off-Peak Day Return fares from Romford or West Drayton. But if by chance he was also using a Senior Railcard the saving would be reduced to £5.25. I remember years ago going from Romford to Bristol with my Freedom Pass holding father, and coming back the same day. But I can't remember what we did about tickets!

matt_world2004

Established Member
I get it. So if our hypothetical Freedom Pass holder travelling from Romford to Bath was returning on the same day, he would save £6.90 by comparison of the Super Off-Peak Day Return fares from Romford or West Drayton. But if by chance he was also using a Senior Railcard the saving would be reduced to £5.25. I remember years ago going from Romford to Bristol with my Freedom Pass holding father, and coming back the same day. But I can't remember what we did about tickets!
You would save even more going from reading to bath on GwR and taking tfl rail to reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.