• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert

Hello,

Is it possible to get a start as a trainee driver with the likes of Freightliner Heavy Haul, Colas etc, or do you have to be an experienced driver before approaching such companies. I read somewhere that if you didn't have recent freight experience then the FOC would have to give you 150 hrs training "something that Freightliner would be keen to avoid"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
I think it was Freightliner who took some new drivers from 'off the street' last year, there was quite a lot of fuss and interest around it as it's so rare for a FOC to take on outsiders. I suppose the success or failure of that intake will decide whether they repeat the exercise in future. I can't see any chance of the smaller FOC's like Colas replicating this sort of external recruitment.

I think the vast majority of FOC drivers come from other FOC's or step across (or up, depending on you viewpoint) from TOC's. These will be in addition to the ex-BR drivers who have been with their companies since privatisation, of course.

Albert

Thank You Sniper,

It seems the route from 'off the street' is Northern Rail/Arriva Wales etc then after a few years experience get your name on the waiting list of the company you want to work for.

I already earn £28k for a 50hr week and can manage on the trainee wages for 12 months until I qualify as a train driver, sadly I could not manage to 'come up through the ranks internally' as I have family/mortgage etc, or I would certainly go down that route.

GB

Established Member
I know for a fact that GBRf do not recruit externally for trainee drivers and only very occassionly they will advertise externally for qualified drivers.

If you do go on the frieght side just keep in mind that continued employment effectivly revolves around the FOC winning and keeping contracts. Its not quite as secure as passenger work.

GB

Established Member
I mean traniee drivers in the sense like most other companies, ie you are actually a trainee in charge of a train rather than just a shunter or groundstaff. It is correct that GBRf class ATMs as trainee drivers but in reality this really is not the case, depending on location you may be in the ATM grade for years.

Flyboy

Yes GB, I'm aware of that, I just didn't fully understand your earlier post because GBRf do recruit externally for ATM positions, although this hasn't happened since 2008 as you probably know. I guess what you're saying is that GBRf don't recruit externally for trainee TMs - correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.