• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight company vs TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy2019

Hi all

I am now in the talent pool for c2c and a freight company. What are the pros and cons to each? And is it advisable to go for the first one that comes up?

the thing that concerns me with the freight company is if there are issues after brexit then will they start laying off drivers?

thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C001

Hi all

I am now in the talent pool for c2c and a freight company. What are the pros and cons to each? And is it advisable to go for the first one that comes up?

the thing that concerns me with the freight company is if there are issues after brexit then will they start laying off drivers?

thanks.

take what ever is guaranteed first and get your key mate.. worlds your oyster after that ...

Downside to freight is one minute it’s busy with contracts next min they lose a contract and work drys up abit .. depends on the area really. No train passes with a foc.. more nights shifts with a focs, can be longer shifts too but upside no passengers to deal with .. get in the cab and drive .. no proper stopping patterns to worry about just keep eye on signals .. where as a driver of passenger remember train length all the time stopping patterns .. bla bla bla ... but only my opinion take who ever is giving you the key first.. then decide after that .

I’m not a driver but got a drivers job ... I’ve worked on passenger trains for 16 years .. seen how the drivers work etc ... but I didn’t want to drive passenger .. I start dB cargo next month.

Sammy2019

Thanks mate yeah there’s lots of good points to both. Just dont want to be out of a job if they loose some contracts but I suppose that could happen in any job.

C001

A lot of scaremongering on the forums mate .. but a lot of useful info as well ... companies wouldn’t really recruit if things were that bad .. they’d just hire in for other people ...

Out of interest what foc you in for ?

Regan

Freightliner have open days this week for qualified train drivers it seems most companies are short of drivers.

Sammy2019

Thanks mate. It’s for dB cargo. I’ve passed all the tests and been told il be going for the DMI and medical when jobs come up.

C001

Thanks mate. It’s for dB cargo. I’ve passed all the tests and been told il be going for the DMI and medical when jobs come up.

Ah cool nice one .. good luck keep me posted on how u get on.. dmi is very relaxed ! Don’t worry about that .. I was more worried about the medical lol that worried I put myself through one the week before lol ... I’m looking forward to starting in 3 weeks .. was meant to start yesterday but had to ask for course after .

Ashley89

Ah cool nice one .. good luck keep me posted on how u get on.. dmi is very relaxed ! Don’t worry about that .. I was more worried about the medical lol that worried I put myself through one the week before lol ... I’m looking forward to starting in 3 weeks .. was meant to start yesterday but had to ask for course after .

Hi,
what things did you have to do for your medical? I should be having mine anytime soon.

C001

Eye sight, hearing , ecg , alcohol and drugs urine sample also tested for diabetes, crouch down and walk on tip toes .. stand on one leg .. neck exercises, colour vision test . My medical was about 1 and half hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.