• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Depots in Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucaZone

Does anyone know of any online resources that list locations of Rail Depots (TMD / Freight / Terminal / Storage).? Maybe post codes of their locations.

Im inter rested in cataloguing them in Google Earth.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

morgantyreman

well im at my dads at the mo but when i get home il help you,

try and find theys

Nevill hill 1 mile east of LEEDS station.
Thornaby yard ( ews ) Next to Thornaby station

try them il give you more when i get home

Gizmogle

Established Member
How often does Google Earth update? Cause I was on the MSN powered map thing (Live Local?) looking around my estate and part of it was missing. They built it all up like 3 years ago...
Not very live if you ask me

morgantyreman

well if you look at my nannas on msn + google , the big tree in the side garden is still there and that was coped down nearly 5 years ago

theblackwatch

Established Member
And at one the house of one of my colleagues from work is her old car - which she changed around three years ago!

LucaZone

Some areas of Google & Local.Live can be upto 10 years old.

The Millenium map from Get Mapping was done in 2000. Thats the most recent Sat Data of the UK I think. Used in the VFR scenery packs for Flight Sim.

Local.live doesnt mean the maps are 'Live' as its something MS are using alot of : www.live.com maps/msn/hotmail/local info/all sorts

LucaZone

Yep I think thats the one. Its not used in GoogleEarth because Get Mapping are like OS Maps and charge a fortune for getting images from the database. Plus I think they would rather have a continual income than selling it to MS or Google.

But getting back on topic. Not sure how many use GoogleEarth, but various people have marked all national station lcoations as well as TOC's who operate them, and another person has geographically marked the LUL with actual line colours and then marked all the stations again.

I'd like to do this with Freight yards, marking them as owner and yard type (TMD / Container / Petroleum / and such) :)

But I need some assistence / guidence on references to use.

Cheers

Bighat

Didn't they fly a plane back and forth at 5,000 feet in 2000 for the getmapping project?

I have a great big book of 'England', published just after then, using the same maps.

Correct. A English Electric Canberra P.R.9 from 39 Squadron at Wyton did a lot, if not all, of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.