• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight in Lancashire

Status
Not open for further replies.

midlandred

Hi guys
I'm planning a short break soon in the Lancashire area and would be grateful for advice on some good photo locations, particularly for freight, and where is likely to see a fair amount of traffic
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Preston probably best bet, you can't really go wrong. If your in Preston before 10.04 you could jump on the 37 hauled Barrow turn and take a ride past Carnforth's West Coast Depot, to Silverdale, you may have to fester there for a unit back, for another view of Carnforth. There's other turns to Barrow but thought the 37 maybe more appealing or if you can, look at a Lancashire day rover, which you can use up to Silverdale, go to Manchester Oxford Road for freight through there too.

Not sure how much freight you will see at Preston or Manchester Oxford Road but a consult of Real Time Trains will help on that front. Sure there's plenty other folk who have a better idea than I will.

Last edited:

Condor7

Not sure how much freight you will see at Preston or Manchester Oxford Road but a consult of Real Time Trains will help on that front. Sure there's plenty other folk who have a better idea than I will.

I can't speak from experience but a quick look at Freightmaster shows Preston to be be quite busy between 9 and 10am after that there are only a few scheduled freight to be seen until mid evening when it gets busier. The tables for Warrington Bank Quay or Manchester Piccadilly seem much busier.

richieb1971

Established Member
Preston is good overnight. You get freight trains every 5 minutes at night along with the sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.