• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight locations in eastern Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveandrews

Hi all,

I have recently moved to Berlin and I am looking for good locations for freight action. I have already visited Saarmund a few times and, to be honest, was disappointed with the amount of stuff.

On Friday we have a bank holiday and I wish to visit either Leipzig or Dresden. Leipzig Thekla and Dresden Stetzsch names keep cropping up as good places for freight action.

Your views about these two spots and, indeed, any other in this area for large amounts of freight will be gratefully apprciated.

I will post a list of viewings.

Many thanks in anticipation, Steve Andrews

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Dresden has a huge - and still very busy yard - just Google it - though Saturdays are obviously going to be quieter than a weekday. Worth going anyway.

Veteran Member
Assuming you can read a bit of German, try http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/startindex2.php.

Not a freight expert but:
Grosskorbetha yard and station, where the lines from Leipzig and Halle towards Munich and Erfurt join, often gets a mention there - there's a lot of traffic out of the Buna/Leute chemical complex just to the north.
Seddin yard is not far from the Aussenring at Saarmund.
Coal etc from Poland mostly comes via Horka-Ruhland-Elsterwerda, and then either towards Halle or Magdeburg.
The Elbe valley upstream of Dresden gets plenty as mentioned and is lovely scenery to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.