• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

davethecat

Hi,
Does anyone know when the next batch of freight locos will be hitting our shores and are they likely to be class 70's?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
In answer to your question, the next Freight loco's are some of the remaining class 70's which are to be delivered as the Vossolh Eurolight locomotive's that DRS have ordered will not arrive until next year.

I thought that I read in one of the railway magazines that the next delivery is in either July or August, but so far have not found anything to confirm this is the case.

davethecat

Thanks for the replies. I live in Newport and heard there were more due at the docks soon. I just wondered how soon.

RobShipway

Established Member
One of the 70s has gone up in flames apparently, don't know if it's a write off or not.:(

If you mean the class 70 that caught fire between Basingstoke and Winchester, then the problem was within the Engine bay and I believe there was some structural damage but nothing that cannot be repaired.

It is also worth noting that 700001 - 700030 was ordered and I think we only have up to 700018 so far. I believe the last deliveries are the end of next year, which is why I suspect that they will be at least one more delivery this year.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you mean the class 70 that caught fire between Basingstoke and Winchester, then the problem was within the Engine bay and I believe there was some structural damage but nothing that cannot be repaired.

It is also worth noting that 700001 - 700030 was ordered and I think we only have up to 700018 so far. I believe the last deliveries are the end of next year, which is why I suspect that they will be at least one more delivery this year.

Are 21-30 not subject to an option agreement which Freightliner are yet to take - meaning they might not come at all?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I live in Newport and heard there were more due at the docks soon. I just wondered how soon.

It wont be Newport. Since last year the 70s have been arriving in smaller quantities (just more deliveries) at Liverpool. Plenty to suggest 70021-70030 wont get built. But I would not be surprised if the next delivery was not until late 2012. I seem to recall there were no deliveries for about nine months after start of winter late 2010. So its very sporadic. What you might expect from a new design that still bedding in.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I wonder if GE tried to be a bit too ambitious with these; the electrics and traction motors, etc, are so far as I know standard components, but everything else (and particularly the engine) are completely new, for rail use at least. Whereas EMD used tried & tested components in the 59s (which was basically a repackaged SD40-2) and the 66 (which was based on the SD70M). At any rate, I don't know how much good these will do for GE's efforts to establish a presence in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.