• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Through The Channel Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day,

I'm interested to know how much freight travels through the tunnel on a daily / weekly basis. I'm aware that there is a service carrying bottled water, a steel flow originating from South Wales and of course the new service running via HS1 to Poland but that's about it. Out of interest do Transfesa still run a train and does the Ford train still run to Dagenham?

I've recently read that DBS plan to move some of their class 92's to Bulgaria which makes one wonder how much scope there is for running additional services through the tunnel.

Thanks in advance,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Out of interest do Transfesa still run a train and does the Ford train still run to Dagenham?
Those two are one and the same!

Only running twice a week at present though, due to seasonal lack of demand.

Other flows include block intermodal trains from Germany to Trafford Park (DBS)
and Italy to Daventry (Europorte) / Hams Hall (DBS).

Last but not least there is the daily steel train from Scunthorpe to Ebange
in northern France, which is notable in being the only 92-hauled train on
the ECML.

MARK

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Those two are one and the same!

Only running twice a week at present though, due to seasonal lack of demand.

Other flows include block intermodal trains from Germany to Trafford Park (DBS)
and Italy to Daventry (Europorte) / Hams Hall (DBS).

Last but not least there is the daily steel train from Scunthorpe to Ebange
in northern France, which is notable in being the only 92-hauled train on
the ECML.

MARK

Thanks for your reply. Given the amount of fresh produce that is imported from Spain and Portugal its a pity that there are not more Transfesa services running under the Channel. I remember seeing Transfesa wagons at a distribution depot on the Southern Region in the 1980's but alas I can't remember where!

ash39

Established Member
Where does that 92 service join the ecml? Didn't realise there were wires to Scunthorpe!

ash39

Established Member
Didn't think of that, doh!
When does it run? Never seen a 92,really want to. I work about 10 miles from Donny too.

Southernrover

The transfesa depot was adjacent to Paddock Wood Station, rail access was from the Maidstone West line.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Didn't think of that, doh!
When does it run? Never seen a 92,really want to. I work about 10 miles from Donny too.
It's booked to arrive at Doncaster (Belmont yard) at 18:47;
but its schedule includes a 35 minute stop at Babworth loop,
just north of Retford, so it could arrive a bit earlier.

MARK

ash39

Established Member
Great, might pop and see this at some point now the nights are getting longer.
Thanks Mark

Phil6219

G'day,
I've recently read that DBS plan to move some of their class 92's to Bulgaria which makes one wonder how much scope there is for running additional services through the tunnel.

Oh god I hope not, well unless it means more freight over here & of course (and more importantly) if it means that they put more 92s back into service and not rotting away like their 60s...

As Mark said the 4M22 - 4O85 (my favourite service) originates in Germany and runs to Dollands Moor where it then heads up to the EWS terminal at Trafford Park.

Incidentally, I had a package arrive at work one Thursday from DBS themselves that had come over from a German Manufacturer, oh how my colleagues were thrilled when I told them what loco had brought it over - I think they may have been sarcastic when they asked if I knew the drivers name too... :lol:

Phil 8-)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The channel tunnel has 3 tubes, correct? Does the freight use the third tube?

It has two rail bores and one central bore (which is significantly smaller) for service vehicles and to evacuate passengers from the railway tunnels (apart from a small section in the middle where there is a crossover between the two rail tunnels). Freight and passenger workings share the same tunnels and that's not an issue as the channel tunnel is nowhere near capacity yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.