• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Timetables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

class222lover

Hi Guys!

I love freight, but never know when to expect any though!

I understand there are ways of finding out but have to come at a cost.

My qustion to people out there is "what time freight comes and go's around in the East Midlands region".

Hope to hear from you soon!

Kind regards
Class222lover and Class66lover!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Try these:
Real Time Trains
Open Train Times

Both of these can give you an idea, but by no means are trains listed guaranteed to run. With Real Time Trains, you can find out whether a train is operating because the real time progress is listed.

http://www.freightmaster.net/ is also a very good site with regularly updated timetables for many areas around the East Midlands including East Midlands Parkway, Chesterfield, Toton and Leicester.

It does come at a small cost but IMO it's well worth it.

telstarbox

Established Member
Try these:
Real Time Trains
Open Train Times

Both of these can give you an idea, but by no means are trains listed guaranteed to run. With Real Time Trains, you can find out whether a train is operating because the real time progress is listed.

If you use Open Train Times, click the spanner icon at the top. This will show freight paths which run non-stop through a station, which will have 'FRGT' in the ID column instead of a headcode such as 1A23.

For example, this freight path runs through Manchester Oxford Road every lunchtime:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/H22382/2013-04-10

Then use Real Time Trains to check if a train is using the path.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'd certainly recommend something like Freightmaster - the WTT is a complete work of fiction in reality, and plenty of things that appear on RTT etc. never (or very rarely) run. The intermodal from Trafford Park linked to above - 4L18 - is one of the few reliable runners!

william

Established Member
I'd certainly recommend something like Freightmaster - the WTT is a complete work of fiction in reality, and plenty of things that appear on RTT etc. never (or very rarely) run. The intermodal from Trafford Park linked to above - 4L18 - is one of the few reliable runners!

Yeah, may as well guess.:|

Tomnick beat me to it!
The Freight WTT shows all services regardless of whether they run or not. I know from experience at Hellifield, that the majority have not run during this timetable, so the online real time information is always best if you can access it.

Southern Dvr

Realtime Trains is excellent as is open train times. Take a look at the maps on the latter, another very useful way of knowing what's about if it's an area that's covered.

Another thing to consider would be a gen group such as UK-rail or some other some such.

Condor7

You might find http://raildar.co.uk/radar useful as well. Click on the map over the area you want until it magnifies enough to shows actual train symbols. Then hover over the symbol and it will tell you if it is a passenger or freight train.

Beveridges

Established Member
With Real Time Trains you can find out exactly what freight is due through a location.

The only downside is theres a lot of paths which are never used.

It takes a bit of getting used to, then it becomes easy to identify which paths are not being used.

For example if there is a time for "Planned Dep" but no time for "Actual Dep" then you can certainly say the freight path has not been used!

If the time for "Planned Dep" and "Actual Dep" are both different then you can say for sure that the train is certainly running!

That already covers 90% of the trains and its not a lot of work to be honest.

If both times are exactly the same (not many here), then you have to click on the train and if it has not departed its origin a while after it should have done, the chances are, the path is not being used!

This is the best resource out there for freight. Freight is so unreliable that it is often very early, very late or sometimes cancelled altogether! With Real Time Trains you can find that out on the move if you use it in conjunction with a mobile phone or other mobile device.

Real Time Trains also displays STP workings including 'one-offs' like charters, engineering trains, light engine moves, tamper movements, ECS, as required coal trains, diversions, test trains, etc. Its really useful for that.

It will also show any location. It is also free.

I really cannot see how any other resource is better for freight info. Gen groups are a bit of a lottery as you have to trawl through lots of irrelevant 'gen' to find anything that interests you. It will also ommit a lot of things that you would want to know. You also end up getting bombarded with mail.

Freightmaster (the book or online) does not provide real-time progress so you will not know if its running late, early or cancelled. Also it doesn't include 'one-offs' within the timetables for obvious reasons so you'll not know when the next STP engineering train, test train, charter or charter ECS, light engine or tamper is going to show up.

Last edited:

gswindale

It doesn't however tell you what type of freight it is.

Freightmaster does provide more information as to which FOC is running the service, along with traction and some more detailed info about what sort of service it is.

It depends a bit on your interests and where you live along the route ad to what is best. If you want to photograph trains, and live 30 minutes away from an accessible location that is close to the start of the path, then waiting to see if it has an actual time on OTT or RTT is not much use.

If, on the other hand you just want to add some AI into a trainsim program then they should be.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Freightmaster (the book or online) does not provide real-time progress so you will not know if its running late, early or cancelled. Also it doesn't include 'one-offs' within the timetables for obvious reasons so you'll not know when the next STP engineering train, test train, charter or charter ECS, light engine or tamper is going to show up.
Many people would see that as an advantage!! ;)

The whole 'point' of Freightmaster is to provide highly accurate timetables
of regular, timetabled freight trains at over 100 hand picked locations - the
timetables are regularly checked and updated to remove over 90% of the
non runners which can cause confusion on RTT and other sites.

By not listing 'Mickey Mouse' workings such as tampers, light engines,
weedkilling MPVs, etc, the FMonline timetables are much more concise
and easy to use, and the inclusion of headcodes, usual motive power,
etc, train types, etc. is the icing on the cake. :D

Although sometimes you can use common sense and work it out from the destination.
The reason over 900 people subscribe to FMonline is because they
don't want to waste time trying to "work out" headcodes, train types,
usual motive power, etc. - they would rather pay someone else (me!)
to do all the working out for them...

I have spent most of the 19 years trying to 'justify' why people should
pay to subscribe to Freightmaster, and I suppose it's a bit like decorating;
some people prefer to save money by wallpapering a room themselves,
while others would rather pay a decorator to do it for them. :)

In a similar way, some masochistic people clearly prefer the 'DIY' approach
to freight timetables - it all depends on the accuracy of info you require.

MARK

Condor7

I now use both Realtime Trains, or Open Train times, and Freightmaster.

It is not a case of one or the other, they compliment each other.

I would not be without either.

Boothby97

Established Member
Also it doesn't include 'one-offs' within the timetables for obvious reasons so you'll not know when the next STP engineering train, test train, charter or charter ECS, light engine or tamper is going to show up.

But when you subscribe to Freightmaster, you also get access to the forum, which gives timings for charters, OTM movements, special freights and light engine moves.
Thanks, Sam

Freightmaster

Established Member
I now use both Realtime Trains, or Open Train times, and Freightmaster.

It is not a case of one or the other, they compliment each other.

I would not be without either.
Amen. :D

Saying that one can be used as an alternative to the other is frankly ludicrous;
I think the two services (RTT and FMonline) are greater than the sum of their
parts - and long shall that continue!

MARK

Beveridges

Established Member
But when you subscribe to Freightmaster, you also get access to the forum, which gives timings for charters, OTM movements, special freights and light engine moves.
Thanks, Sam

I'd rather just put in a location on real time trains it takes seconds to work out what the "junk" is to ignore that isn't running
I'm sure FM has its uses, Ive had the books a few times over the years, just real time trains is more use to me. I want to know exactly what is due through location x and Real time trains does exactly that. Freight is often late, early, cancelled, plus the "one offs" that run. It's almost like having a mobile TRUST but not as user friendly.
It has its weaknesses such as being unable to work out if a freight path that has not left its origin is actually running. That's the main one. But 90-100% of the junk is obvious. Such as the "Sandite" train paths that are left in the system all year round. The more you use RTT, the easier it is to work out what the junk is.

Failing to show the traction is another weakness of RTT. I once went out for a STP train which, judging by its destination, appeared to be a loco-hauled engineering train. After checking its progress it finally turned up. It turned out to be a Tamper. Not a huge waste of time as a Tamper is still of interest, but it was a disapointment. But I suppose with FM the booked traction is not guaranteed. I remember using the books a long time ago and it said the traction was a 37 and so many times a 66 turned up.

Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
I'm sure FM has its uses, Ive had the books a few times over the years...
For fairness, you cannot really compare the books (updated four times a year,
and take two weeks to print/distribute) with FMonline, which is updated daily,
with updates appearing instantaneously...

You also mention accuracy of the Freightmaster timetables, which I readily admit
was an issue in the past, but after updating the FM timetables for 19 years now
without a break, with practice and experience, I have been able to hone the
accuracy of the tables significantly each year...

Ironically, the biggest improvement to the accuracy of the FMonline timetables
came earlier this year - due to RTT no less! - which has enabled me to include
more short term 'STP' workings in the FMonline timetables than ever before.

So from a personal/business point of view, even I agree that RTT is invaluable,
but comparing a free data feed to an £80 a year richly featured, manually
updated interactive online service is rather unfair - a bit like saying you don't
need to pay money to run a car when you could walk everywhere for free instead!! :lol:

MARK

Condor7

Sites like Realtime Trains do get easier to understand with use that is true, but it is still not user friendly when trying to establish if a freight train is running or not.

Checking it at home on a home computer is not to bad, but trying to do it on a busy main line with lots of freight workings on a mobile or similar is very fiddly and time consuming, and nigh on impossible in sunshine.

They are of course very useful and I would not be without them.

I have found however that one thing you need to watch out for are 'early' running trains. If you are line side at say 10am and there is a freight scheduled to come through at, say, 11am but is running an hour early and you press the default time 'around now' it will not show up, as it appears in time order when it is scheduled to appear not when it actually appears.

I live near the Settle and Carlisle line and mobile phone do not work along much of the route, so I have to check on line and then venture out if I want to see something. While Realtime Trains is very good, it can still catch you out.

I heard on the Freightmaster forum a month or so ago that the 6E68 New Cumnock to Drax was being hauled one evening by a class 60, due to pass near me at around 19:45. As I only live 5 minutes away I checked Realtime and saw that is was running roughly on time down Settle way, but 15 minutes before it was due to pass me no other locations had been updated, but I set off anyway as the estimated time had not changed.

Arriving at 19:35 I waited for over half an hour under a increasing darkling sky and at about 20:10 decided it was getting to dark and walked back to my car, only to hear it thunder by in the distance. I am not sure what happened to it, and why the delay, but it was frustrating.
I did however see my first Barn Owl while I was waiting, so all was not lost. :)

Beveridges

Established Member
Checking it at home on a home computer is not to bad, but trying to do it on a busy main line with lots of freight workings on a mobile or similar is very fiddly and time consuming, and nigh on impossible in sunshine

Very true

In sunshine its a waste of time. You have to go indoors really to use a mobile device, which is ok at a station but on the lineside, in daylight, its will just give you a headache and a lot of eye strain.

All the locations in my area are all quiet, normally get about 1 freight an hour if lucky, so RTT comes in use for that, with very few trains to keep track of, the fiddlyness of using it on a mobile is not so much a problem when your only keeping track of a few trains.

If I was at somewhere very busy I would only use RTT to keep track of a certain few trains that are of particular interest, but would not try to keep track of everything!

Phil6219

The Freightmaster Forum is an extremely valuable tool when combined with the website, it is how I managed to find out about some special & last minute workings, combined with some TOPS dumps allowing me to know what loco was working which service and also offered updates from people in the know as to the progress of certain workings. Needless to say I would not have had even close to a productive summer last year had it not been for FM.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. FM offers so much but costs money, RTT is free but has it's drawbacks.

Phil 8-)

Beveridges

Established Member
Having TRUST is obviously the ultimate tool for freight, I use it at work to find out about freight, but when away from work RTT is the closest thing to it. Maybe one day someone will come up with a website that is as user-friendly as TRUST. RTT presents almost as much data as TRUST, but the user-friendliness of it is a long way off and it is still not as reliable as TRUST. The real time tracking of freights on RTT can occasionally just 'disapear' for some reason then 'reappear' again *after* the freight has reached its destination hours later!

Beveridges

Established Member
When you know how to use TRUST, its quick, easy to use, allows you to use hotkeys to get around it quick. No fiddling about. You can put in the perameteres with ease and it instantly produces what you want. Its quick and full of shortcuts and hotkeys. Exactly what I want to see.

RTT on a mobile - too fiddly to track too many trains but at least its available any time any where. On a PC it is good though, but not as good as TRUST.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
It's a cracking tool, but it's far from user-friendly! Not sure why RTT wouldn't pick up reports (other than off-route reports) that do show up in TRUST though - always seems pretty reliable to me.

Boothby97

Established Member
I think I'll add my praise to Mark and Freightmaster. Since discovering a copy of the book in a Journey's Friend shop on Doncaster station, I have changed my spotting from just going out somewhere nearby (Doncaster, Barnetby, York, Peterbrough) on a unprepared day out (not knowing what was due), to today planning my trips and going much further afield (Willesden, Tamworth, Rugby, Stafford, Nuneaton). I think without FM I wouldn't of gone to so many places, spent an overnight on Carlisle station and not have cleared some many locos. Long may this continue :p
But, RTT has come in useful for me as well. I could probably cope without it, as I only use it for important trains (like Class 92 hauled freights, and special moves).
Thanks, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.