• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Train Derailment near Ely 14/08/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Train is the 11:18 Felixstowe - Doncaster. Loco 66713 involved. Rail Dangerous Goods emergency declared due to some of the consist on the train.

TimboM

Established Member
Looks like it's happened in the vicinity of Ely West Junction, so blocking the line to March/Peterborough.

CrossCountry have posted the following dramatic photo:

DHMurUPXcAANVk5.jpg

https://twitter.com/CrossCountryUK/status/897112080045748228

LeylandLen

I wonder who took the photograph. If it was me I would have taken a few and posted the 'best' one,did he/she take one with the camera facing the other way ? I read that emergency services are at location , maybe we might get a few more pics ?

HST43277

PROBLEM:
There is a derailed train between Ely North Junction and Ely West Junction (4Z33 dangerous goods freight train, carrying flammable liquids, 7 wagons have derailed). This is between Peterborough and Ely. This is disrupting trains on the Liverpool Lime Street / Nottingham / Norwich route.

At present 4Z33 has been confirmed as a derailed train, approx 1/4 mile of track is damaged, revised number of carriages have derailed between 10-15, some have lost their bogies. There is no suitable road access near the train. The nearest suitable access is 2/3 mile down the track.

GB

Established Member
I wonder who took the photograph. If it was me I would have taken a few and posted the 'best' one,did he/she take one with the camera facing the other way ? I read that emergency services are at location , maybe we might get a few more pics ?

It was taken by the Network Rail mobile operations manager. I'm sure there will be more at a later date. RAIB will take some as well I am sure.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
1/4 mile track destroyed. Set of switches destroyed. 11 wagons derailed in various states. Difficult and "boggy" access. I rekon it will be Friday at the earliest before the line is open.

GB

Established Member
There is a trailing point and facing crossover in that area. Not yet determined what caused it.

GW43125

Established Member
Do we know yet whether the driver noticed it or was told and stopped the train themselves or if it pulled the brake pipe off? Never good when it runs a long distance with nobody noticing

Last edited:

1/4 mile track destroyed. Set of switches destroyed. 11 wagons derailed in various states. Difficult and "boggy" access. I rekon it will be Friday at the earliest before the line is open.

Yes - I have an ticket for that route tomorrow and back again Friday. I will be lucky not to have a bus replacement on Friday.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Do we know yet whether the driver noticed it or was told and stopped the train themselves or if it pulled the brake pipe off?

Of course we don't yet but I'd imagine that will have broken brake continuity.

GW43125

Established Member
View attachment 34231

...and yes, it looks much worse there!

I can't help but think that's going to be expensive...

I feel there may be a slight similarity with the Lewisham/Hither Green incident which saw the line shut for almost a week. [OT side note-have we found out the cause of that yet?]

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
The only similarity you can currently conclude is that a freight train derailed and will take several days to fix. Its way to early for anyone other than the investigators to say any more.

The last major derailment at Ely closed the line for six months.

On that occasion a bridge was destroyed. They did very well to get that open in that timescale. Hopefully nothing of that severity this time.

There will be plenty of diverted freight they will struggle to get round London now.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
The only similarity you can currently conclude is that a freight train derailed and will take several days to fix. Its way to early for anyone other than the investigators to say any more.

Sorry, I didn't mean in that sense. I meant in the sense that it's fallen off and knackered the track in the process over a seemingly similar length. (This we already do know)

Status
Not open for further replies.