• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Train Derailment near Ely 14/08/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
Any ideas as to what the steel sheet is off?
Unless it is crossing decking panel.
Plus the other debris?

If you look by the crossing, the panel in the six-foot appears to be missing so that could be it.

TheEdge

Established Member
Whats the chances of getting to Norwich from Peterborough tomorrow ?

By train, somewhere between zero and none.

There might be a decent RRB service in place tomorrow but ticket acceptance looks to be in place for travel via Kings Cross.

Or drive.

ac6000cw

Established Member

There might be a decent RRB service in place tomorrow but ticket acceptance looks to be in place for travel via Kings Cross.

Or drive.

...or via Hitchin/Stevenage. It looks like GN services via Ely are unaffected, as are GA Cambridge-Norwich (mostly). So Peterborough - Hitchin/Stevenage - Cambridge - Ely - Norwich is probably the next best all-rail route.

Last edited:

Billy Hunt

Or drive.

Thanks,I had an idea that would be the case !! Thanks again ;)

Far north 37

Established Member
is that another freight on a different line in the background of the photo looks like cement tanks

jopsuk

Veteran Member
So is it between Ely North Junction and the B1382 in Queen Adelaide? Or did it block the road as well?
(there's a deep irony that that section of road crosses 4 railways, but only the relatively quiet loop line is bridged)

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I imagine that the freight services from Felixstowe that go via Ely and Peterborough can be diverted via Ipswich and Stratford and from there on to the main lines out from London. My question is this: how rapidly can the diversionary routes be put into operation?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I imagine that the freight services from Felixstowe that go via Ely and Peterborough can be diverted via Ipswich and Stratford and from there on to the main lines out from London. My question is this: how rapidly can the diversionary routes be put into operation?

In this case, immediately, subject to crew knowledge. But I should think most freight crews that sign Felixstowe will sign via London.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Anyone know if any EMT 156s/158s are stuck the wrong side of the block?

eastdyke

Established Member
is that another freight on a different line in the background of the photo looks like cement tanks

The PAA hoppers on the train in the distance is on the UP King's Lynn and being held there pending (but not today!) access to the Ely west curve to follow the liner.

The crossing that can be seen in some of the pictures is Second Drove LC (Public Footpath Crossing).

To answer an earlier question, I believe the linespeed there is 60 but the liner would probably not have attained that having just come off Ely North Junction. It would have been accelerating though.

dk1

Veteran Member
To answer an earlier question, I believe the linespeed there is 60 but the liner would probably not have attained that having just come off Ely North Junction. It would have been accelerating though.

May not have been far off. Line speed over the junction towards Peterborough is 60 anyway & would've been accelerating after clearing Ely bridges after the station.

RJ21

Anyone know if any EMT 156s/158s are stuck the wrong side of the block?

So far as I can tell there are two stuck east of Ely, the set which operated 1L06 turned around around at Norwich as 1R94 but was curtailed at Ely and sent back to Norwich and the set which operated 1L07 got to Norwich and stayed there, the next east bound service was turned back between Peterborough and Ely.

LAX54

Established Member
The last major derailment at Ely closed the line for six months.

But that involved a new bridge too !

I would have thought a 2000 foot train accelerating up to line speed, would take a fair while to stop once it had come off the rails.

It was sharp of Cambridge PSB to get the 1350 Ex Peterboro stopped in time

Last I heard was line closed for 'several days' Rail Crane en route from Wigan GA running Ipswich / Norwich to Cambridge as normal. Norwich EMT's all cancelled, GA Ipswich to Peterboro, running to Bury st Eds only.

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Updated travel info for passengers has been published here.

I'm travelling from Norwich - Leicester on Thursday night, but as usual on split tickets from NRW-PBO and then from PBO-LEI. Although it'd be handier to travel NRW-LST / STP-LEI I suspect the easements will only allow me to go NRW-LST / KGX-PBO / PBO-LEI.

dk1

Veteran Member
Updated travel info for passengers has been published here.

I'm travelling from Norwich - Leicester on Thursday night, but as usual on split tickets from NRW-PBO and then from PBO-LEI. Although it'd be handier to travel NRW-LST / STP-LEI I suspect the easements will only allow me to go NRW-LST / KGX-PBO / PBO-LEI.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine travelling via St.Pancras. After all it's an East Midlands service & if Virgin WC are accepting tickets to Manchester/Liverpool via Euston i see no issue.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine travelling via St.Pancras. After all it's an East Midlands service & if Virgin WC are accepting tickets to Manchester/Liverpool via Euston i see no issue.

Noriwch - Cambridge - Hitchin - Peterborough is a possibility

jamesontheroad

Established Member
But the bus is still likely to be quicker :|

I've got to do Grantham - Ipswich and then return via Norwich tomorrow and I'm going to 'trust the bus' :(

I imagine the Ely - Peterborough bus is quicker, but I've got to time it right to get the right train from Peterborough to Leicester (for which I have an Advance Single). I'm also travelling with a folding bike, and in my experience rail replacement bus operators are somewhat inconsistent in handling these. It's fine sitting in the luggage rack of a service bus but I don't like to leave it sliding around in the luggage compartment of a coach.

eastdyke

Established Member
I imagine the Ely - Peterborough bus is quicker, but I've got to time it right to get the right train from Peterborough to Leicester (for which I have an Advance Single). I'm also travelling with a folding bike, and in my experience rail replacement bus operators are somewhat inconsistent in handling these. It's fine sitting in the luggage rack of a service bus but I don't like to leave it sliding around in the luggage compartment of a coach.

Fair enough, I agree with your concerns for the bike!
Some or all of the replacement buses will be double-deckers but of course the usual rules apply for the one that you get.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I'll just cycle from Ely to Peterborough. If it's a following wind it should only take half an hour :D

Stampy

Seems to be a total blockage of the Ely-Peterborough line now...... :)

Ely.jpg

Any idea what 688Y (just west of Ely station) is, as it's been sat there since yesterday!!!

OpenTrainTimes says it's a cancelled train.

eastdyke

Established Member
I think a bridge strike within the last hour or so, not sure of attendance yet. UPDATE Edit: my info may have been wrong about this cannot confirm source.

The train from yesterday could well be the Middleton Towers - Goole sand which showed up in the background of some of the derailment pictures while it was on the UP King's Lynn.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
The train from yesterday could well be the Middleton Towers - Goole sand which showed up in the background of some of the derailment pictures while it was on the UP King's Lynn.

This.

The Ely west curve is going to be out of action for some time...at least going in the direction of Peterborough-Kings Lynn as the crossover that was destroyed is going to be plain lined.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.