Freight Train Derailment near Ely 14/08/17

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by CharlieSpotted, 14 Aug 2017.

1. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

Well Regional Railways was under acute pressure to basically reduce costs (and grow revenue where they could), so one off (Saturday only) seasonal services where capacity (which was once available using "spare" freight sector locomotives and other rolling stock) was not available.

Remember there were league tables for earnings per vehicle for the new 15x vehicles , which were 2 replacing 3 old ones, so the options were quite tough to say the least. Hence the demise of workings like York - Tenby and many others.

2. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Veteran Member

Sorry that's rubbish. If there is a crack in a crossing there are only three options - if it is minor it can be ground out, and that is quick and easy to do. Slightly deeper cracks can be weld repaired, which can be organised quickly, but takes longer to do so may take a few weeks to arrange access. Finally, for bigger cracks you put in a new one.

If, when the crack was first discovered, it was deemed not possible to grind or weld, a new one would have been ordered immediately. Most non standard crossings have an 8-12 week lead time. You also have to arrange a possession to do it, which on the ECML is not straightforward. If during that time the crack gets worse more quickly than expected, then you can bump up the list, but that costs extra both of crossing itself, but also arranging the resource and the costs of the possession.

None of this is papering over the cracks.

3. ChiefPlanner

Back to the 4Z33 derailment and track damage - excellent work done to get the line back for about 0300 on Monday morning.

Good work also in rerouting the freights via NLL / Camden and the WCML etc - quite painfull operationally , but well handled.

One wonders what happened to the damaged wagons and containers ? - were they craned off at Papworths Ely perhaps ? - never forget that these import loads were all part of someone else's logistics chain. I recall in my own career - efforts made to recover derailed container trains , which often had sensative if not perishable loads to take care of. Bit more important that worrying about stranded 158's at Norwich !!!!

4. TheBigD

TheBigD Member

Deleted

Last edited: 29 Mar 2018
  5. ChiefPlanner

Thanks for that - excellent detail and very good service.

I recall a freezing Winter's day at Whitemoor , when a Freightliner 5 set attached to the 1009 Whitemoor - Harwich PQ got derailed , and yours truly had to cover for an unavailable Freight loading inspector - the whole fully laden set was transhipped onto a specially sent empty 5 set sent up from Ipswich Yard , and the whole lot made the afternoon ship to Zeebrugge.

I got travelling expenses and a meal allowance , as management did not get overtime pay until 18 hours a month had been accrued. Plenty of tea though.

Another one was the derailment at Ipswich where a critical 40ft container for Polaroid at Dumbarton was involved. Again this was suitably dealt with and a special 5 car set with just this box , was attached to 4S81. Customer never knew of the issues we had to get the box through.

Happy days. I was young and keen then.

6. Alfie1014

Alfie1014 Member

The GE barely coped when running normally but problems with NRs infrastructure at the beginning of the week, (especially the broken turnout on the Down Main at MAnor Park and consequential 5mph speed restriction), tended to stuff the peaks. Wednesday morning delays even with some thinning out were up to 35+ late for arrivals into Liverpool Street. Did result in the unusual sight of a procession of Liners down the Electric lines presumably the crossing moves at Forest Gate were deemed to be more acceptable than these long trains crawling over the restriction at walking pace.

7. ChiefPlanner

Very good observation. Not a good week for Anglia all around.

8. dk1

dk1 Established Member

I know. I worked for them & I have that book too.

9. eastdyke

eastdyke Established Member

RAIB have published a 'News Story':

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/derailment-at-ely-west-junction-14-august-2017

Last edited: 24 Aug 2017
  10. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Pesumably though they can still run clockwise around Ely Chord as others seem to suggest that route is unaffected?

11. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Yes running as normal in the March direction.

12. 2HAP

2HAP Member

RAIB have released their final report.

13. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

14. AndyPJG

AndyPJG Member

Quote:-

15. Signal Head

Signal Head Member

I wonder who is liable for the costs of disruption and restoration for cases like this where the cause is solely a defective vehicle.
    Also how is this 'enforced', NR could make a claim, only for the maintenance company to refuse to pay up.

Unlike the old DOT reports, RAIB do not apportion blame, so do NR have to resort to legal means to reclaim their costs?

16. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Yeah, I imagine this would happen in court if NR wanted to pursue it.

17. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

I think it is the case that Penalties are capped per incident, so only a small portion of the actual cost is likely to fall on the Operating company involved.
    The remainder will thus fall on NWR to cover.

18. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

The evidence gathered during the investigation could be used for a separate case. Whether that is within the spirit of a RAIB investigation is another matter, however.

19. Signal Head

Signal Head Member

I was just curious. Of course there are 'converse' situations, where defective infrastructure damages, or destroys, rolling stock, when the liability will fall squarely on NR.
    It strikes me it's a potential nightmare to sort out properly, post-Privatisation, because there are so many more interested parties.

20. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Established Member

Bearing in mind that 'private owner' wagons have been a feature of rail operations in the UK since the dawn of railways, including through the BR era, why is this a new issue?

21. Robsignals

Robsignals On Moderation

Would hope the chain of contracts "NR - FOC - Wagon owner - Maintenance company" would establish liability and at least the FOC should be directly liable. Hopefully they have appropriate insurance though as the maintainer has apparently made such gross mistakes insurers may refuse to pay. Could be a big legal argument over whether any or all other parties should've detected that the wagon was in such a dangerous condition that NR decide it's not worth pursuing and absorb their own costs.