• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight Train derailment near Robertsbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
According to NRE, buses are replacing trains between Hastings and Robertsbridge as a freight train has derailed near Robertsbridge.

Im assuming the train is to do with the Gypsum at Mountfield - can someone confirm ?

And any guesses that people will still moan at Southeastern, probably as they will think they did it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Id take that with a pinch of salt, considering they are tweeting Network Rail and SE telling them "it isnt a freight train".

Does sound unusual though, almost suggesting that the loco (probably a 66 for the gypsum) has "runaway". Another twitter user has posted that the loco was operated by GBRF and is 66739

Darandio

Established Member
It seems they tweeted NR to state that it wasn't a freight train, then tweeted later on to say that it was a freight train. Although it seems they were right and I think I can see what they meant. However.....

There are too many of these "gloryhunters" out there now, getting unofficial information then trying to pass themselves off as officials providing information. Some can cause more confusion to passengers than is neccessary.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm not really sure what the issue is here, the guy tweeted NetworkRail to say it wasn't a freight train, to which NetworkRail said "Quite right too, it's a loco. Thanks for pointing out. Will correct in my next update." The guy then referred to it as a freight locomotive in a later tweet. There was no contradiction as far as I can see.

Looking at their tweets as well, I can't see any confusing information, and they seem pretty clued up about various occurrences. "Gloryhunter" is perhaps a bit strong.

The main reason I said "no idea about the reliability of that" was because it's just one source which I'd found in a hurry and hadn't checked out, but I can't see any reason to go quite as far as suggesting they are contradictory.

Darandio

Established Member
Possibly in this case yes, you are right, a bit strong.

It's a personal bugbear of mine more than anything else, there are far too many of them, some causing more harm than good. Maybe this one is a break from the norm.

D1009

Established Member
According to NRE, buses are replacing trains between Hastings and Robertsbridge as a freight train has derailed near Robertsbridge.

Im assuming the train is to do with the Gypsum at Mountfield - can someone confirm ?

GBRf base locos at St Leonards, so light engine movements between there and Tonbridge are quite common. It seems one of them has run into the sand drag protecting the single line through Mountfield Tunnel.

ushawk

Established Member
GBRf base locos at St Leonards, so light engine movements between there and Tonbridge are quite common. It seems one of them has run into the sand drag protecting the single line through Mountfield Tunnel.

So it is potentially a very serious incident and could of caused structural problems to the tunnel, providing the loco hit it of course - hopefully the driver isnt injured.

D1009

Established Member
So it is potentially a very serious incident and could of caused structural problems to the tunnel, providing the loco hit it of course - hopefully the driver isnt injured.

Not really, that's why the sand drag is there.

Clip

Established Member
Possibly in this case yes, you are right, a bit strong.

It's a personal bugbear of mine more than anything else, there are far too many of them, some causing more harm than good. Maybe this one is a break from the norm.

The irony of this part of this sentence on this forum of all places.

Made me chuckle though.

WhereInSussex

It's 66739. I know, because I've seen it!

As for @TunbridgeWellsR saying things like "it was a freight locomotive which had a SPAD (Signal passed at Danger)" - talk about jumping to conclusions!

ushawk

Established Member
Line is to remain closed until at least tomorrow morning now. Id expect a normal service from Fridays start of service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ArZAADlCEAA-Ea0.jpg

Picture posted by Network Rail on Twitter this morning. Apparently if the work goes well, a service could resume in early evening.

madbadrob

It's 66739. I know, because I've seen it!

As for @TunbridgeWellsR saying things like "it was a freight locomotive which had a SPAD (Signal passed at Danger)" - talk about jumping to conclusions!

Network rail (assuming its not a fake account) on twitter said it was a SPAD so no conclusions jumped :D

hello

It seems they tweeted NR to state that it wasn't a freight train, then tweeted later on to say that it was a freight train. Although it seems they were right and I think I can see what they meant. However.....

There are too many of these "gloryhunters" out there now, getting unofficial information then trying to pass themselves off as officials providing information. Some can cause more confusion to passengers than is neccessary.

glory hunters :lol:the majority of people on here are glory hunters and wannabes :lol:

red_star

This is the second fright loco derailment (I am aware of) in the last few months, is there a bigger problem at play here?

Waddon

Judging by that picture, surely there's another safety issue here, beyond whatever caused it to be derailed... presumably the catch points that derailed it are to prevent a train running into the path of another, however judging by that pic of where the locomotive ended up, it still looks like it's fouling the other line after being derailed, so potentially it could still have collided with another train going the other way? Maybe the catch points need to be re-sited to direct a derailed train away from the other line?

ushawk

Established Member
This is the second fright loco derailment (I am aware of) in the last few months, is there a bigger problem at play here?

Probably just a coincidence - although there has just been another derailment now between Retford and Gainsborough, NRE doesnt say if its a freight train though.

GB

Established Member
Judging by that picture, surely there's another safety issue here, beyond whatever caused it to be derailed... presumably the catch points that derailed it are to prevent a train running into the path of another, however judging by that pic of where the locomotive ended up, it still looks like it's fouling the other line after being derailed, so potentially it could still have collided with another train going the other way? Maybe the catch points need to be re-sited to direct a derailed train away from the other line?

Looks like the points have done their job to me.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Doesn't look to be fouling the line at all, they look to have done the job perfectly....

richw

Veteran Member

I think its the third, there was the one on either the ecml or wcml (canton remember which) that was middle of the night, there was one between exeter central and st davids and now this one.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.